Biology Labs

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Barbera, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Sep 21, 2008

Hello,

I am teaching a 3 week credit recovery bio course. Kind of thrown into it, glad to have it, but in a little over my head.

Could anyone suggest labs or activities for cells.

I am trying to break up the lecture/discussion then worksheet cycle.

Any resources you could share with me would be appreciated.

3. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 21, 2008

What resources do you have for labs? Microscopes, prepared slides, blank slides? Do you have a computer and projector in the classroom? What topics are you teaching about cells - organelles, mitosis, energy production, transcription and translation, differentiation? I have ideas, but I need more details!

4. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Sep 21, 2008

Not exactly a lab, but works well: I enjoy having my kids work together to compare a cell to something else. My students produce a poster and present their work to the class. Examples that I've had students do: compare a cell to a city, mall, house, sports field, tv shows - really their imagination is the limit.

A lab that I would like to do (but don’t have the supplies): make agar cubes in three different sizes for each lab group. Each groups soaks the cubes in a dye solution for a determined amount of time. Then each group evaluates how far the dye penetrated into the agar. They can this compare this how surface area to volume affects cell size.

This teacher has a fantastic biology web site complete with labs: http://www.biologyjunction.com/index.htm

5. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Sep 21, 2008

I need to ask what I have access to tommorow, Kate.

Thanks Kate and Desserttrumpet.

6. trina

trina Companion

Sep 27, 2008

A few labs I've done this year in life science (middle school biology) is a pH lab to determine the pH of living things: milk, lemon juice, egg white, egg yolk, vinegar, coffee, OJ, etc.

I also have a really fun activity where the kids create their own cell. Each kid has a disposable petri dish. I give them a few blocks of colored modeling clay (you could probably use play-do). They create the structures in the petri dish using the clay, and when they are finished, I pour a solution of Know unflaovered gelatin and water over them to simulate the cytoplasm. This was a huge hit last year, and was a great way to wrap up the cell chapter. Kids told me they still had their cell in the fridge (to prevent mold) for months after.

Can you dissect anything? That would be a given for biology.

You could also do the simple DNA extraction lab. Kids LOVE to see their own DNA!

7. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Sep 30, 2008

8. Golden Educater

Golden Educater New Member

Oct 7, 2008

I have to do the same thing in about 2 weeks, dont know much labs about cells right now, but if you have to explain the microscope, i o a lad called the incredable letter e.

Have students cut out a lower case E from a magazene or news paper. Then have the students look at the e under 10 power and 40 power. Then, compare them both