Bins, bins bins!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mandijyn, Aug 22, 2010.

1. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 22, 2010

Phew- I have never spent so much time (not to mention $$) gathering bins to outfit my first classroom. I was wondering what some of your favorite shapes, sizes, places to purchase containers and bins were- as I have more to get- and also favorite helpful items every new teacher should have?

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

I never buy bins or boxes that I can't get at the dollar store. Dollar Tree has a great selection, but I have found that their selection changes. So now, if I find a shape that I want to use for a specific purpose (i.e. classroom library), I buy a bunch, and just return the ones I don't use.

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

Yes, places like Dollar Store are the way to go for bins. Stay away from places like Lakeshore unless you want to spend major dollars.

I've been using lots of regular cardboard boxes lately that I cover with contact paper. I found some black and white contact paper that looks like cows (I am very fond of cows), so I have lots of "cow boxes" in my room.

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

When your school receives complimentary materials for a textbook adoption, find out what happens to the materials when you are finished examining them. I have managed to obtain quite a few bins, rolling crates, and heavy-duty cardboard book-holders and containers for files or magazines. Recycle/reuse/reduce by repurposing these items for classroom use.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2010

Target also has many bins in their dollar section. I use a combination of target and the dollar store, but my bins never match. So I use one type of bin for a different kind of book in my library or area in my classroom.

LakeShore is nice if you have money and want everything to match.

7. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Aug 22, 2010

I'm a new teacher as well, so I'm running into this. I have pulled baskets, old magazine holders, etc...from every nook and cranny in the school. I went out yesterday and bought dishpans from Walmart to use for Literacy Workstations. They aren't super cheap though--I think $2.50/ea, but they are the perfect size.

8. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 22, 2010

I was just at Target and found these small baskets for pencils. They are $1 for a pack of 2. I bought collapsible bins for my chapter books at the dollar store. I wouldn't pay more than a $1 for bins.

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2010

I think I'm addicted to plastic bins. I've even bought some while we were on vacation, lol! You can never have too many, and you never know the size/shape you'll need!

10. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

Target has a pack of 5 shoebox containers for $4.50; Walmart has a 6 pack for $5. I got a couple of sets to store math manipulatives.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 22, 2010

while I prefer see-through shoe boxes and plastic "basket" bins, I have also taken advantage of empty school supply boxes from Target and Walmart - I just covered them with contact paper, and no one was the wiser! The ones for binders are great!

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 22, 2010

Organizing my books: really good stuff for the baskets, and yet you could still find the exact thing at Target or Walmart for almost the same price (including shipping).

Tubs for organizing manipulatives: I bought plastic dollar tree shoe boxes and the white holy ones from Walmart (not that they're sanctified or anything...LOL Any ways...)

Plastic tubs with lids, the larger kind that you might see at Christmas time...or maybe the medium size ones: store seasonal holiday stuff.

13. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Aug 24, 2010

Crunchytxmama yeah $2.50 for dishpans are expensive. The Dollar Tree has dishpans.

14. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

Great ideas- I think I will go to target/wal-mart to see if they will give me their empty school supply boxes!

15. Ladybug Teacher

Ladybug Teacher Companion

Aug 29, 2010

I've been buying the clear shoe boxes as well. That way, they'll always match, even if I change color schemes. And I just put a lot of color into the labels on them.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

I'm the opposite of most people...All of my dollar store bins crack easily, so now I spend the money. I like buying bins from Really Good Stuff. They hold up well! I also shop at Walmart and Target for bins. Sterilite is a great brand.

17. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

Agreed, I love the Sterilite bins I have.

18. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2010

OK, I am also a new teacher and I'm wondering what do you need all of these bins for? Do I need bins too?