Binders vs. File Folders??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Noel, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Noel

Noel Companion

Oct 25, 2010

Does anyone here use binders vs. file folders to organize supplemental worksheet for your curriculum? I feel like I am constantly "digging through files" to find a paper. I just feel like if I had all of these items in a binder it would be soooo much easy to flip to what I needed, pop it out of the binder, make my copies, put it back in and move on.

Anyone else use this type of a system? Does it work? What are the pros/cons with using binders?

I realize that there will probably be holes on my copies but at this point I think that would be a fair trade for the digging and searching I seem to be doing with file folders.

3. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Oct 25, 2010

I use both systems. I prefer binder over file folders to they are easy to flip through and portable but I also have file folders mainly because I have a file cabinet. but now that you ask,mention, I think I am going to switch to an all binder system.

4. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Oct 25, 2010

the only down side is when you punch holes through your master copies it can slightly damage the master copy but another teacher buys plastic sleeves to keep work in. My only issue is that can become expensive...I think.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

Binders, binders, and more binders :) And I do use the plastic sleeves. I just watch for them to go on sale. I also just found the avery site which will allow me to customize my binder labels. I am in Hog Heaven!! I have now color coded my binder labels with the rest of my system :woot: :woot:

I do still have a filing system where I store my extra copies.

BTW - if you know anyone in the corporate world, let them know you are looking for binders. I got most of my binders that way. Many corporations get rid of binders after the meetings, as in THROW THEM AWAY. It is cheaper for them to throw the binders away then to pay a secretary to take out the stuff.

6. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Oct 25, 2010

I know someone in the coporate world. Thanks, INteacher that is even better idea. to keep a file cabinet for extras and binder for my master copies

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2010

I love my binders, but sometimes find it cumbersome to put everything back into the binders correctly. So, I keep file folders for papers to be filed back into my binders as well.

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 25, 2010

I find with file folders, the papers never make it back into the file! With binders and plastic sleeve, I am more likely to put it back.

9. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Oct 25, 2010

yes, binders and plastic sleeves!! I switched a couple of years ago, and I'm so so happy that I did!

Here are the pros:
    1)Easy to flip through.

2)with plastic sleeves, there is no hole punching (saves time and preserves your original.)

2)Just pull out, copy while in the sleeve and put it back!

3) and my all time favorite reason: You always know which one is you're original! Do you know how many times I hesitated to throw/give something away because I didnt know if it was my last copy?? It was my biggest pet peeve when I kept things in file folders. I would hold onto useless things, just in case. Now I always know: If it's not in a sleeve, it's not my original.

Any others?

10. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Oct 25, 2010

That sounds great TulipsGirl

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 25, 2010

I like binders more, but sometimes I still spend time flipping through my binder looking for specific materials. I'm not very good at taking out a paper that I've replaced with something better.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2010

I keep all my self-created masters online and just print one out whenever I need copies.

As for the rest of the documents, the ones I didn't create myself, I keep those in binders. I have binders for ELL resources, graphic organizers, vocab activities, games, etc.

I like binders because they're neater and I can find things more easily. One bad thing about binders is that they take up a lot of space. If you don't have shelf space, you end up with big piles of binders all over the place (my problem now).

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 25, 2010

A friend built me a corner shelf that I love! It holds lots of binders comfortably!

14. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Oct 25, 2010

I use both. I have a binder for each chapter of our math book. In the binder I have my lessons plans written out from previous years (these come in handy in case of an emergency sub plan) and any and all worksheets that are used during that chapter. I keep all quizzes and the chapter test (along with answer keys for each) in the binder as well. These are all kept in document protectors. If I have extra copies, I put them in a file folder in my filing cabinet. (I also stick a sticky note on the document protector in my binder that tells me approximately how many are in the file folder. This way, I don't end up with a crazy number of copies the next year!) Although it was a little pricey my first year buying the binders and document protectors, I wouldn't change it for anything! I love feeling as organized as I do!

15. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Oct 25, 2010

I use both

I use binders to store "master copies" of teaching materials. What I do is I buy those plastic sheet covers to put my master copies in. I do this for two reasons; 1. It protects the copies if they need to be stored (I lost some teaching materials several years ago to a burst water pipe.) 2. I really don't like holes in my papers ( I know it sounds really crazy)

The past two years I did a literacy tutoring program in a school and I also did a year of afterschool teaching in a math and reading enrichment program. I used a combination of the binders and file folders. I used the binder to hold all of my master copies and teaching information. Then I used file folders to hold the materials that I would need for that particular lesson/activity.

I also used some plastic storage containers that held hanging file folders. I used those for supplemental activities. I had one for each season then I filed within the season according to themes.

Mldouglas

16. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 26, 2010

I use binders with page protectors. My binders also have numbered dividers and an index in the front so I can quickly find what I need.

17. Rox

Rox Cohort

Oct 26, 2010

Everything is scanned and saved in my computer. I'm in my 2nd year of teaching, and I took over a teacher's classroom where the teacher had been teaching for over 30 years. I could not believe how many papers/worksheets she left behind. I vowed to not do the same, so I scan things and save them in several files on my computer. I organize them in different ways: by grade level, standard, subject, etc. I often have a paper saved in more than one file. So now when I need to teach my 3rd graders about magnets, I go to that file, print it out, and make copies.

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 26, 2010

I don't use a lot of worksheets, but I have lots of ideas, coloring sheets/patterns, etc.

I use both.

I have a big binder of clip art/patterns, that's hole punched and organized by theme.

I have file folders of patterns, stencils, ideas, etc. on different themes... those are stored in file folders inside the theme box it cooresponds with. That makes it easier when I'm planning something :)

I also belong to a couple of yahoo groups that share folder games and other materials... those are on my home computer, organized in a variety of ways, but I hate to admit that I rarely remember to go and find those items when I'm looking for stuff on a theme. Maybe when I get a new computer that doesn't take 5,000 years to do anything...

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 26, 2010

20. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 26, 2010

I am 100% binder girl.

21. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2010

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 28, 2010

Thank you. :) I bought the white baskets at Walmart. I believe they are Sterilite brand. I bought them 2 years ago, and I couldn't find them anymore this summer...I think they changed the style a bit.

23. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

I love using binders. I have my binders organized by Math Unit and within the binder I have it divided by specific topics within that unit. I do use plastic sleeves so that I don't have to holepunch things.

I wouldn't go back to file folders for anything!

24. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2010

The posters here all seem to be preferring binders. I haven't been sold on the binder plan. I am, for now, using the file folders in a crate. Seems to be easier. I'll have to rethink this summer or Christmas break when I have some time to organize to my liking.

25. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 30, 2010

I like using plastic tubs that hold the hanging file folders. I have one for each subject. Within in each plastic tub I have it broken down by units and chapters for each subject. When it is time to teach that unit or chapter, I pull out the folder, take it down to the teacher's lounge, make copies, and place everything back into the folder and into the tub. I also put any teacher books I have purchased with the chapters so I remember that I have that resource. It has worked out well for me.

I have a picture of the type of plastic tub I use at http://www.leapinginto5thgrade.com/tour2.htm. You will have to scroll down about halfway down.

I use to use binders, but the cost and having to store the binders became an issue, though I still do have a few binders left in my class. Over the years, I have whittled down my binder usage. I do use a binder for my grade book and my guided reading groups. I also found that if my binders were in my cabinets they would stay there because it was one of things out of sight out of mind.