Binder Organization?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Pieces of Arzt, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Pieces of Arzt

Pieces of Arzt Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

For those of you that have your students keep binders and check them periodically, how exactly do you do this?

I want to try it this year, but I'm unsure exactly what the students should keep in their binder, and in what order.

Can you please share what sections you have the students keep, the order, and how you go about grading/checking it?

Thanks so much!

3. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

Bell Work in one section
    Notes in another section
    Old (graded) work in another section

4. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

Assignment grade log and Expectations sheet in front

Class notes

Graded Assignments

Labs

Tests and Quizzes

Notes are Cornell Notes: Every day notes are taken, they must be completed for homework, then checked the next day for completeness.

All other sections must be in chronological order. I will ask to see 4 different pieces from their binders-If they have all, they get full credit for their binder and deduct points for each missing piece.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 16, 2010

I require a section for each unit, one for important papers, and one for paper. At the beginning of each section there is a table of contents listing the order of assignments for that section. I post a current table of contents for each course in my room. I check binders at the end of each unit. Papers must be in order by the table of contents. Once the unit is over, we go through that unit and clean out the papers for that unit which aren't necessary to keep for the final. When I grade binders I make sure all required papers from all units are there (excluding the ones they were allowed to toss). In the past I've done a few things with binders, counted them as a separate 10% of their grade or a quiz grade. This year I'll just count each paper as one point, and they only get that point if it's in the rings, in the correct order, in the correct section. I'll also give a neatness grade out of 10 points. I'm guessing each binder grade will be out of 50-100 points, so about a quiz grade.

6. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Aug 16, 2010

I require a divider for each 6 weeks. EVERYTHING we do is filed under that divider and each one has a table of contents. The table of contents must have everything listed in chronological order. At the end of each 6 weeks, they have a self-evaluation of their binder. It is a test grade. They do not clean anything out...everything is kept as a portfolio of what we did in English class.

7. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Aug 22, 2010

1. Opener
    2. Vocabulary
    3. Literature
    4. Writing
    5. Grammar
    Everything is chronological by section.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2010

I collect the binders at the end of every chapter (after the test). Students are given a blank table of contents. The first page is the unit map, the plan for what we'll be studying. Each day, we add a worksheet or notes page from the day's lesson. I write it on the board under the HW for the day and students transfer it onto the TOC. When I collect it, I expect it to be in order and all papers present. Mostly, I don't have a problem with students participating in daily note taking, but this is a way of rewarding those students who do what is expected.

9. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 23, 2010

Mine is done by 6 weeks for assignments with a separate section for all the notes/handouts.

10. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

I teach English. For the past few years I've been having the kids divide their binders into Literature, Grammar, Vocab, Writing and Graded Work. For next year I'm going to try something different to hopefully help the kids organize better: Preclass (this is when we usually do vocab and grammar anyway), Notes, Writing . . . and then I'm not sure what else but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Maybe "Research paper" as that's an 11th grade requirement.

To check, I give them a quarter sheet of paper with 5 things listed on it. They have to be able to find them in 5 minutes, staple the whole packet together and turn it in immediately. 20 pts each. If you find it after 5 minutes, tough too bad. If you turn something in that's half done, you only get half points (like vocab words but no sentences.) It keeps them on their toes and I don't have to collect 90+ binders.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2010

If you google "AVID binder check form", you'll probably get a lot of hits for a document used in the AVID program. It's a checklist or grading sheet for weekly binder checks. You could use the items on the form to decide on the best way to have your students organize their binders.