Bill paying mess

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Danny'sNanny, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

I always pay my bills with my credit card over the phone- my Citibank card gives me 2% back, which doesn't seem like much but it really adds up.

I pay the utilities for my parent's rental house, and the renters pay me back. I also pay the bills at the house I live in, and my roommates just write me a check. It's always worked just fine for me.

Today, I call Comcast to pay the 2 cable bills. The automated system only lets you pay the bill attatched to the phone number you're calling from, so I always have to talk to a customer service person to pay the 2nd bill. Well, it turns out, they've decided to charge $4 to talk to a person!!!!!!!! Isn't that the customer service person's job, to deal with customers? Now, in addition to paying my BILL every month, I have to pay extra to pay my bill?!?

I guess I'll have to start writing and mailing checks, but it ticks me off. That's something they should let me know before the day I need to pay my bill. Or, do like the City utilities, and let me enter in that I need to pay 2 bills with the automated system.

So, it let me pay my bill, which isn't due for another week, but not bf's bill, due today (unless I pay the extra $4). AND they switched it, so it doesn't pay immediately anymore (like it's done all year)- now they have 2 days to credit your account.

If there were any other reasonable internet options, I would switch. As it is, we've had at least 1 month on both accounts where the internet was down and they wouldn't come fix it ("Just reset the router." UMMM don't you think I've tried that already?!?)

3. LisaCUP2001

LisaCUP2001 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

one of my credit cards i always forget to pay..and i call on the phone and to pay that way it actually puts 7 bucks back onto the charge account. talk about a ripoff!! i guess that's just my clueless-ness that puts me in that situation anyways!!

as for not having an internet connection...i would not pay that month. you weren't using it becuase it didn't work..fight that if you want!! i would!:)

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

I would pay the extra this month, and make them give you an extension this time since they swithched the rules with out notice (though its probably in fine print if you get a paper bill)

But I would see if you could pay on line, or use the paper bill next month use a money order and use your credit card to buy the money order......... gas stations believe it or not have the cheapest money orders (fifty cents I think).

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

Comcast does have an online bill pay but it's "not available in my area".

I guess next month I can just plan ahead a little more and catch bf when he's home and use his phone.

I know I shouldn't wait until the last day like this, but I've been so sick that I actually went into the urgent care! So I've been distracted this week ;)

At least Comcast doesn't charge late fees! I forgot once before (when I had my surgery) and I don't think I noticed until the next months bill came in! Oops! Very unlike me.

I'm usually much more on top of bills then I sound in this thread. Which would be why I'm responsible for 2 houses worth ;)

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

Poor Dear, you are always needing to run to the DR or ER. I hope that you are alright.

we have comcast in our area, but we go with another one because their service gets disrupted so much. but so does the cable we have and its all theree--- cable, internet and phone..... I don't like that.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

It's actually pretty much the same stuff over and over, just no one fixes anything. Lets give you another ultrasound...wow, it doesn't show anything...just like your last one didn't show anything ;)

It's been a rough year I guess. The 1 year I didn't have health insurance I was fine the whole time. Maybe I need to get rid of my insurance ;)

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

I really didn't NEED to go into urgent care, but the swelling around my ovary got to be so much that I was throwing up from the pain. All they did was give me vicadin, which I'm not going to take, but it made my bf feel better ;)

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

I mean that bf felt better that I got checked out just in case, not because of a bottle of vicadin.

That made me laugh when I re-read my last post. ;)

I need to get up and do something. I'm sick of the couch.

I guess that's why they invented those sticky heating pads. They are my best friends

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

I have been taking vicadin as needed for the tooth ache, going to the dentist on monday to have it pulled.

11. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 10, 2007

I have trouble with Verizon all the time when paying bills. Sometimes I just want to smash the phone! These huge, billionaire companies just make it things more difficult the bigger and richer they get:mad:

12. tutor1982

tutor1982 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

We also have comcast (ours is on automatic payment and is drafted from our account) I would tell them that you don't appreciate paying $4 to speak to a person so you can pay your bill. I would tell them that you are considering leaving because you feel like this is unfair. May be they will atleast waive that fee. We ran out of our 6 month intro price and called to see if phone service was available yet, and if we could get the intro deal for the phone. DH had then talked into 6 months intro rate on phone plus a $20 monthly credit for not leaving. They called the next night to tell us they were sorry, but phone service was not available in our area, so they would like to give us a premium channel. I told DH that we didn't need a premium channel, but we sure would like DVR - so they came 2 days later and installed DVR free for one year!!

They have been working to keep our business!

I would not take the $4 without a fight!

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

Well, of course, bf couldn't get a lunch break today. So I went to his work and just used his phone to pay the bill. I was not going to pay an extra $4!

I think it would bother me less if it was just a fee to pay by phone- but it's a fee to pay by talking to a person and not using the automated system, and the automated system won't let you use a different number.