Biggest Problem For Teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ryhoyarbie, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

What's the biggest problem you teachers have to face all the time in the classroom? I hear it's lack of parent involvement with their child and the child's education.

3. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

I would say parents in general. Whether it be lack of involvement, too much involvement, etc.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 1, 2009

That's not it for me.

For me it is fitting it all in. What I need to do, what the kids need to do, what the office needs me to do, what NCLB needs me to do...etc. My team and I struggle with this. We might have a hard time teaching something in an hour, or doing reading assessments in 7 days...whatever.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2009

Student motivation.

6. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

Having enough time to get through the curriculum.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2009

Parents can be an issue- sometimes, though, they are OVER-involved!:eek: Managing parents is a skill- one I'm always 'honing', as I seem to get 'those parents'.

Gossip/Negativity- Let me preface this by saying I do work with a great staff of professionals (mostly)...It only takes one or two 'crabs' to pull everyone down. I had a colleague attempt to throw me under the bus to the superintendant this spring- no particular reason, she just 'felt uncomfortable' with the way I was handling an oppositional student in my room (long story...no need to go into it, no harm done, I had the parent 'in the loop' on the steps we were taking at home and in school with this kiddo- the kid and I have a great relationship- the teacher in question is just a busy body) Anyway, I went to the superintendant and explained 'my side' and apologized that any issue between a colleague and myself would end up in her office...the super compeletely understood and said she has a 'good picture' of the other teacher. Bottom line, it's like what a former grad class instructor said: 'Crabs in a basket...If you go crabbing down the shore and catch one crab and put it in your basket, you have to put a lid on the basket to keep the crab in. Once you put other crabs in the basket though, you don't need any lid because the crabs will 'pull each other down'....

Unsupportive admin/'top down' philosophy- I don't live with this, but have seen situations where PROFESSIONAL educators are not respected, their opinions not solicited...it sux.

8. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

Amen to this statement!!! Parents are basically my only real problem with teaching--I can handle testing, classroom management, etc, etc, but parents drive me up the wall sometimes! :) :) :)

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2009

I guess my biggest challenge is properly educating all the different levels of students in my class.

10. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

Gossip... negativity.....politics...

11. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

Several things:
    1. Parents, as previously mentioned, from end of the involvement-spectrum to the other.
    2. Student Motivation, usually a serious lack of rather than too much of
    3. Too much to fit in during the year to properly teach
    4. Different levels in one class can be a true challenge
    5. I have encountered a real lack of respect in the past couple of years, especially this last year. Lack of respect for me as an adult and as a teacher (from students, and from a few parents), lack of respect for other students, lack of respect for their parents, lack of respect for rules and administrators.... I could keep going, but I think the point is made.
    6. Unrealistic expectations, such as incorporating technology, without access to it for students, or raising student test results when students don't care one fig about it....

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 1, 2009

My ONLY complaint: coworkers that hate their job.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2009

My biggest problem isn't really about teaching per se.

It's trying to balance being a good teacher with being a good mom.

It's incredibly hard when the kids get sick-- and there was a LOT of that this year. Or when they have a field trip, or they're doing the morning announcements or a class party or something, and they ask if I can be there. And I simply can't.

14. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 1, 2009

Putting together a curriculum from scratch with little to no resources.

15. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Mostly for me, the problem is with the adults you come across. Whether that be parents, grouchy or know-it-all coworkers, or administrators. Sometimes, ok ALL the time, we just need to TEACH! Forget all the crap, just TEACH!

16. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

I would say horrible administrations are my biggest problem. Also, significant behavior issues. I can deal with parents who are not involved or overly involved. I just can't deal with administrators who have their own personal agendas.

17. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

ME TOO!!! It is the worst guilt in the world.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2009

My biggest problem are the kids! How in the world am I supposed to get my work done? The kids keep getting in the way, they keep asking me to teach them! Don't they know I have work to do like filling out all of those paperwork, IEP forms, ELD forms, RTI forms, just to name a few. Tsk tsk

/joke

19. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Amen to that!!! You just described the problems of my last two years of teaching perfectly.

20. trader84

trader84 New Member

Jul 2, 2009

I think that's naughty & spoilt pupil

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 2, 2009

Student motivation
    Parental involvement-none or too much
    Politics
    Time
    Gossip/Negativity/Cliques

22. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

I can't believe a lot of people are listing gossip on here. I guess as a guy I don't have to deal with that sort of thing because I don't care to get involve in that kind of mess.

23. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

I am shocked at so many people mentioning parents. As a teacher and a parent, I see both sides often distrusting each other. If we want the children's respect, we must get the parents' respect. And as parents, we must respect the teachers.
    As a teacher, I see that most parents are doing their best to raise their children. And, as a parent, I recognize that most teachers are putting their all into teaching our children.
    We all want the same end results...we must figure out a way to work together to get there.

24. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Yep.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

But not parents think like that..Some do not respect teachers at all, either because they themselves didn't have a good experience in school or because of a past experience with a teacher. And even though some teachers do put their all into teaching, some parents are not going to find that to be enough.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

That goes both ways though. There are too many teachers out there who can only see THEIR own priorities, not always those of the child or the family or even the school.

27. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 2, 2009

I have two things I consider 'problems'. One is the totally uninvolved parent. The parent who I have never met or spoken to (no matter what I do), who never returns any papers (homework, field trips) or is too busy to deal with school. The other is my team mates. I love the three of them dearly, but they would rather be anywhere else but school. They come in late, leave early and complain about everything they have to do concerning school. It is just tiresome.

28. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

<<Gossip... negativity.....politics... >>

I was going to say this is a much less friendly way.

I was just going to say other teachers!

29. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Yes...that and class sizes.

30. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

I think the biggest problem we face is that our current educational system, which was desgined in the 1920s, has really failed to grow with the changing needs of society. Everyone has to fit in to the exact same box. Everyone has to go to school for 12 years. Everyone has to take the same basic classes. Everyone is expected to graduate in 4 years. Everyone has the same expectations put on them. We've not modified our system to meet the needs of the 21st century at all.

31. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

BandNerd makes great points. I hear many countries track kids after 6 or 7 years toward college or vocational skills. I will go further in saying all the idiot
    law makers passing laws and unfunded mandates for teachers piling more and more paperwork on them. Litigation does not foster a healthy atmosphere either. With as many people teaching in public schools in this country it is obvious we will have some nutjobs or even dangerous types. THAT IS WHY we need good principals and central office staffs that PAY attention.

32. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

ALL THE PAPERWORK!!! This is my 5th year and I still have found a system. Hmm.... I think I will start a thread about that......

33. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 4, 2009

Ha, I just started a thread about that very thing on the special ed forum. Out of eleven students last year, I had two uninvolved parents. It got so bad that I had to pin notes on the back of a 13-yr old student just to get his mom/grandma to respond. And even then, they didn't always respond. So all I ever sent home were field trip forms - which took forever to get back. Guess they just had different priorities, but still.

34. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 4, 2009

The kids! My job would be SOOOOO much easier if it wasn't for the kids!

just kidding...

35. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 4, 2009

Parents who judge the situation and chew you out before getting and thinking about the full story. It's usually the challenging kids going home and lying to their parents who are too blind to see that their child has a problem.