BIGGEST LOSER 2010

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherNY, Jan 2, 2010.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 16, 2010

Well, because I weighed in on Sunday last week I'm going to keep Sunday as my weigh in day. That means I have to be good today even though it's Saturday (the hardest day for me!!!).

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2010

Did pretty good throughout the week. Trying not to overdo it this weekend. Of course we have a playoff party to go to tomorrow so I might not do so well then.

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 16, 2010

You can do it STG. Before you go to the party eat a BIG salad so you are nice and full and will be less tempted to snack on the bad stuff. Try it. I hear it works.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2010

Everyone here helps keep me inspired. Thank you all!

I haven't lost any weight, because I've been breaking my diet. But, I have been going to the gym regularly and pushing myself to do more each time. I work out at 24 Hour Fitness. I like taking the GroupX classes because I get bored working out on my own, and I need the extra motivation of having and instructor push me to keep going.

The changes I see already are my arms and stomach. I can see muscles in my arms and my stomach is definitely flatter. I keep thinking I'm holding my stomach in, then I realize it's doing it on its own! I don't think I'll be able to see the change in my rear until I drop some weight. But, it's nice to know there will be toned muscles to show off when the pounds melt away!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2010

Good for you, Special-t! Working out is definitely my stumbling block. My husband is going out for a run in a few minutes, so I'll go downstairs on the treadmill.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2010

OK, week 2.

Only down another 1/2 pound, to 141.

But I was out to eat twice this week: for Gotcha Day and after yesterday's memorial mass at work. So DOWN is good, regardless of how little.

I think this may really work for me. It's not a lot of effort, I'm just not snacking between meals. When the weather improves I'll throw in some walking.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2010

Just walked for 35 minutes on the treadmill--close to 2 miles. I'll throw in some weights and sit-ups (uggg) later on today.

8. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jan 17, 2010

So I never really joined on here, but I am so proud! I have just been limiting my calories, and have not added a work out as of yet.

My starting weight was 174.5
    Yesterdays weigh in was 168.5!

Thats 6.5lbs! Without really trying! Maybe this will be the time that I really stick to this. 3.5 more lbs and I get to buy myself some Chanel nail polish.

9. smalltowngal

Jan 17, 2010

YAY, special-t! That's one reason why I'm joining a gym...for the motivation of others being there working out as well. I'm hoping I can drop some major pounds with cardio and their classes. Signing up tomorrow and getting a schedule of their classes and mapping out a good schedule of my own.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2010

Sunday weigh-in: 145.5

I lost 1/2 a pound - YAY! And, thanks to everyone for the encouraging posts.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 17, 2010

WOW! That is amazing. I lost a pound this week but I was down 1% body fat. So, I am REALLY going to THINK about and keep my food log next week and practice portion control and start counting my calories. 1500 for a day is my goal. Gearing up to go to the gym, then food shopping, and then doing some LESSON PLANNING. Double ugg on the lesson planning on my day off!

STG- How was the party?:hugs:

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 17, 2010

I weighed in this morning and am only down .6 pounds. That makes 2 lbs in 2 weeks which isn't terrible but not great. On another message board I signed up for a Valentine's Day challenge so my goal by valentine's day is 9 lbs. I hope I make it! It's great to have somewhere you can be accountable! I think sharing my progress with you guys really helps.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 17, 2010

:hugs:group hugs

14. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2010

In my weight loss experience, 2 pounds in 2 weeks is fantastic! I've found that slow and steady weight loss stays off. If you go any faster, you're losing a lot of water weight which will come right back.
    I should add that this is the case when you're only 10 pounds overweight. The heavier you are, the more pounds you lose quickly because a heavier body burns so many more calories just to maintain itself.

Congratulations on those 2 pounds. It's quite an accomplishment.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 18, 2010

Ok. Going to make myself some breakfast and then, head off the gym. THEN, going to the grocery story to make some healthy choices on my eating. WISH ME LUCK. I can do this healthy eating thing. I can. I can. I WILL! I know that working out alone is NOT getting me far. SO, I need to kick start my system. Anyone have an easy way to do that???? Ok. Going soon! :mellow:

16. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jan 18, 2010

I've been exercising and trying to eat healthier. Yesterday I joined My Fitness Pal online. It's a free program where you can input your food and exercise. You can set goals and it will tell you how you are doing. It has thousands of foods (packaged, restaurants, fast foods, homemade) so it is easy! It makes me more accountable to have to write down (or input) every bite I eat...and I don't have to keep up with calories because the program does it for me.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 18, 2010

I just joined! It really looks like a great site.
    I am trying out a new recipe for dinner tonight. It will definitely make enough for leftovers and I might freeze some portions.

Hearty Chili Mac
    Makes 10 1-cup servings

8 ounces dry macaroni noodles
    1/2 cup water
    1 onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 small red or green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 8-ounce package vegetarian ground beef substitute, or 4 vegetarian burgers, thawed (if necessary) and chopped
    1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
    1 15-ounce can kidney beans, undrained
    1 15-ounce can corn, undrained
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    salt and pepper to taste

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
    Heat water in a large pot. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
    Add bell pepper and vegetarian ground beef substitute or chopped vegetarian burgers. Mix in tomatoes, beans and their liquid, corn and its liquid, chili powder, and cumin. Cover and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
    Add cooked pasta and check seasonings. Add more chili powder if a spicier dish is desired.
    (for those of you calculating points):
    Per 1-cup serving
    Calories: 211
    Fat: 2.1 g
    Fiber: 5.1 g

18. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2010

I went to a party last night and only had one glass of sangria and some low fat crackers. I resisted the HUGE platter of cheese that went with the crackers. I did this by keeping in mind a visual of the fat from the cheese sticking to my arteries. It's gross, but it worked really well because the cheese actually looked unappetizing to me.

(Lately, I've been worried about family history of early heart disease. My BP is good, but I'm concerned about cholesterol. I go to the dr. at the end of Feb)

I'm going out to lunch today, so I looked up the menu online so I can plan my order. They serve 1/4 chicken, so I'll eat that without the skin and pick a low fat side.

19. smalltowngal

Jan 18, 2010

I joined the Y today!!!!!!!!!!! And will be working out a schedule of their classes tomorrow. I'll definitely be going tomorrow to do the treadmill.

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 18, 2010

STG - so proud. SO PROUD! And you have a support system there with your friends so that is huge. My hubby is my support and he really does keep me motivated. Of course he can drop five pounds in 2 weeks just by cutting out bread from his diet. Ugh. Men!

21. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jan 19, 2010

I worked out with a trainer at the gym yesterday. I wanted someone to show me what excercises I should be doing and how to do them correctly. I'm hurting in places today that I didn't know I had!

My husband and I also measured ourselves yesterday and plan to remeasure every 4 to 6 weeks. I'm hoping that seeing those measurements get smaller each time will help to keep me motivated. I know that having to write down every bite I put in my mouth in my online food journal is helping to keep me on track...I think twice before I eat anything.

22. smalltowngal

Jan 19, 2010

goop~I need to do my measurements too. Because I know when I exercised before, the measurements would start showing improvements before the scale or body would...and I guess I need to start writing everything I eat because I just ingested 2 poptarts. :(

Of course, I am going to the Y today to exercise. 30 minutes on the treadmill and weights! On Tues, Weds, Fris, I'll be doing classes.

23. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jan 19, 2010

Does anyone else do sparkpeople.com? I love that sight, and would be interested in becoming 'friends' with people so that we can help keep each other on track.

24. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010

I cannot keep poptarts around the house. They are totally addictive and you kinda have to eat two since the pack is already open ...

It's not quite as good, but I spread jam on whole wheat bread, and lightly microwave for that same kind of snacking experience.

25. smalltowngal

Jan 19, 2010

Special~we have a closet at school for our sped students so they're in there for them. I went to get some sugar free gum for a student whose IEP requires he chew it because he's known for putting non food items in his mouth so I just grabbed them. :eek:

But I did walk today!

26. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jan 20, 2010

Our "official" weigh in at school today! I lost 2 lbs. After gaining .2 last week, I'm very excited and motivated to keep exercising and filling out that food journal! I think the journal has been the biggest help. Having to write down every bite I put in my mouth is really keeping me on my toes.

27. smalltowngal

Jan 20, 2010

That's great goopp! I gained this week I know. Our weigh in is tonight. But I'm working out after school today.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 20, 2010

I have to say I've been loving myfitnesspal.com (thanks goopp!). I'm usually lazy when it comes to keeping a food diary but doing it on this site is great. It also lets you calculate in your exercise and set goals for the week.

29. smalltowngal

Jan 20, 2010

Well I gained a pound, but I did go exercise tonight! And we're going back tomorrow for another class. I just have to get in the habit of going every day.

30. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 20, 2010

I have gone to the gym everyday for six days straight. I have watched what I eat and I have not had a doughnut in over a week. I am ready for the weigh in tomorrow. Except... I don't feel any thinner and I still have a muffin top. I really hope I see some improvement. It is tough to work out like I did and then see nothing for my efforts. I am tired of the saying... muscle weighs more than fat. I just want the fat to be GONE! The tire around my middle is def fat!

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2010

I lost 18 since July...I wasn't heavy or big to begin with, just didn't like the number on the scale-it was at the upper end for my height...I've been doing the WW points thing, walking daily (Skechers!) and the stationary bike for 30 minutes each night....down a full pants size (maybe more, but I don't like TIGHT), can see my rib bones and hip bones-not too skinny though, still curves. :blush:

32. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jan 21, 2010

SCTeach - I have to keep telling myself...you didn't put the weight on in a week, it's not coming off that fast either. I've had to set mini-goals for myself because if I only look at the big picture...how much weight I need to lose, I'd be so overwhelmed I'd quit right now.

Keep on working hard! Take a picture of yourself so you have something to compare yourself too in a month or 6 weeks. Take your measurements once a month so you have tangible proof that what you are doing is working. When you look in the mirror every day, it's hard to see improvements, but the picture and measurements will be there to help. Take it one day at a time and keep coming here for support. It may take a while, but one day you will look in the mirror and see the body you are dreaming about today! It will happen...just believe!

33. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2010

I agree with setting mini goals. My mini goal is 132 (final goal 125ish). 132 is about 1.5 pounds less than I weigh today. When I hit that, I'll know I've lost some fat - not just water weight - so I'll be proud for hitting that mark and inspired to continue.

I've also started marking my future workouts on my calendar so they become part of my schedule.

34. smalltowngal

Jan 21, 2010

That's what I need to do is make mini goals for myself and then reward myself if I make them. I am setting one now that I will work out every day (in some form) for 2 weeks and lose 5 lbs in those two weeks. If I do, then I'll get my nails done. :D We took a picture when we first started. I'm not sure if she's going to take one every 6 weeks or just another one at the end of it (90 days) but I'll take my own in 5 weeks. I really need to get my measurements written down so I can use that as well.

Special~I made a schedule of what I was going to do every day and how long and I have that posted so I can see what needs to be done each day.

35. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

I'm down 0.6 lbs. It's kind of disappointing considering the work I've put in... but yesterday was mom's birthday, so I had a bit of cake to celebrate.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

Every ounce down is a step in the right direction! Congrats, dfleming.

37. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

My school is having it's own version of the biggest loser. We just started yesterday. We're in teams of 20. 1 teacher and 19 kids. Our goal is to lose 200 pounds in 2 months. Wish us luck!

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 21, 2010

I have worked out 3 days so far this week. My goal is 4 days per week but it would be great if I can make it 5. I've been eating pretty well and since I started tracking calories I have stayed at around 1200 per day. I hope I can keep it up!
    My mini goal is to lose at least 5 more lbs by Valentine's day!(I already told my husband NOT to get me any chocolate LOL).

39. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 21, 2010

Thanks.... I weighed in today and I lost... nothing. I worked out everyday this week and watched what I ate and nothing. I know I just have to keep at it. But darn, biggest loser on TV - they are losing like 3 to 10 pounds at least. Oh well, I will have a flat stomach again one day or at least will not have this jelly roll!:p

40. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2010

Keep at it, SCTeachInTX! If the scale didn't budge this week, it will likely show a bigger loss next week. I'm down 1 this past week--not the 2 I'd hoped, but I'll take it. Hoping for 5 more by Valentine's day as well.