BIGGEST LOSER 2010

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherNY, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 8, 2010

I lost 2 pounds. It goes on so quickly and comes off so slwly...:)

2. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jan 9, 2010

Down 3 pounds!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 9, 2010

Down one pound, which is better than zero pounds, or gaining.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 9, 2010

Weighed in for the first time on Friday.... 136lbs. I ate terrible this morning. But, I do have a plan of going to the gym today doing cardio for 50 minutes and weights for half an hour. I joined the BIGGEST LOSER at work so that is why I waited to weigh in for the first time. Now, I am back on the wagon and thinking about every morsel that goes into my mouth! You guys are making a difference in motivating me. THANKS! Plan to do some healthy cooking this weekend and freezing some lunches. Kinda like my own lean cuisines for the week - only they will have better flavor. Honestly I have been hungry. But I am only eating 3 meals per day. So, I know I have to start doing some healthy snacking. Any ideas on that? I don't want to put a mini candy bar in my mouth and the thought of carrot sticks makes me want to cry. Ideas?

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 9, 2010

I ate breakfast before I weighed myself this morning so I think I will post my weight tomorrow instead LOL I don't want to gip myself!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2010

First weigh in: 141.5

I lost a pound and a half. At this rate, I should hit my first mini-goal of 140 next weekend or so.

I think this really is the right approach for me. I'm eating a regular diet, just not eating between meals and trying to drink lots of water. And the mini-goal thing has me encouraged at a pound and a half, instead of depressed that it's not more. I'm all invigorated at the idea of facing this next week.

Picuture a pound and half package of chopped meat. Up until now, I've been carrying that around with me everywhere-- and now it's gone!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2010

That's how I try to think of it as well, Alice. One step at a time, celebrating every success. The journal I bought to track my food, calories and exercise--I have a lot to lose, I need to track--has a space for a daily goal. I've found this really helpful---it's easy (most of the time) to achieve a daily goal and it's a nice way to start each morning by thinking about the day ahead..

I need to spend some time today putting together some meals for the coming week. I have all of the food in the house, but it's taking me too long in the morning to make my lunch and record everything. I'm taking the time to do it now, but I can see that this will be a stumbling block down the road. My favourite breakfast of late has been steel-cut oats, but they take so long to cook. I'm cooking a double-batch this morning and I'll see how well they reheat in the morning.

Congratulations to all of us on our successes this far!

8. glen

glen Companion

Jan 10, 2010

I lost 3 pounds this week, 27 more to go by June. The biggest difference for me, too, has been paying close attention to what I'm eating. I ate very few carbs this week, made sure I had something for breakfast, and had at least 5 servings of vegetables/fruits every day. If I keep my goal of one pound per week, I should reach my long term goal by Memorial Day.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 10, 2010

Well, I am down at least 1.4 lbs. I know I'm retaining a bit of water right now so hopefully more of a loss will show up next week. I'm going to try to drink a lot more water and increase my exercise from 4 to 5 times per week. Everyone seems to be doing a great job. Remember, everyone loses at a different rate so losing even a pound a week is great!! Keep up the good work :thumb:

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 10, 2010

Can anyone tell me the advantages of a colon cleanse? I have a friend of mine that does this every time she starts a new diet or eating regime. She is like a size two, so I am thinking maybe there is something to this???.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 10, 2010

I don't know if this kind of thing is really going to help you lose weight in the long run. This is what I found:
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Colon-Clense&id=1698093

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2010

I gained a pound. :( But I haven't joined the gym yet, and I'm going to do that tomorrow and a fellow co worker runs the bleachers at school so I think I'm going to start joining them.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 10, 2010

Worked out at the gym. Walked/Ran for 50 minutes and did an upper body workout for chest, back, shoulders and arms. Feel great! STG- Join that gym. Join that gym! It makes me happy to work out even with the cold snap we are having!

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 10, 2010

I had a disappointment today. My blood pressure is not going down as much as I thought it was, and I'm still in the dangerous zone! I know it's only been a month or so, but on medicine and watching my diet, losing some weight, and exercising I was hoping for better results. Back to the doctor I go!

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 10, 2010

MissCelia - I have always laughed when I hear the commercials that say.... consult a physician before starting any programs. In your case, it sounds like a necessity. Remember, you must do things healthfully and put your body's needs first. Go forth and make that appointment!

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 10, 2010

Got the Reebok Easytones today. Pounds beware...

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2010

My husband's BP was borderline danger zone about 12 months ago. He now sticks to a dedicated exercise program and changed his diet. His BP is now normal. It took about 6 months to lower, because that's how long it took for him to drop significant weight and for his heart to get into shape from the exercise.

My BP was not dangerous, but it went up about 10 points upper and lower when I gained 40 pounds. It took about 15 pounds of weight loss for my BP to drop back down to my normal numbers (about one year).

The important factor in both our cases was that our doctors said we had time to lower our BP naturally. He told us that high BP is detrimental the longer you have it. Since we are both in our 40s and had only had high BP for a year or so, we had time on our side. He told my husband that if his did not lower naturally after a year of changing his lifestyle, then it would be time to look into meds.

Basically, ask your doctor if you have time on your side to stick with natural methods. Then, be patient. It takes time for your body to reset.

edit: I just saw that you are already on meds. But, I'll leave my response up, in case it helps anyone. Still, be patient with yourself. And ask your doctor when the meds should start giving you results.

18. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2010

Even though I know we all struggle, it's hard to post this. All my indulgences at restaurants foiled my diet.

My new (higher) starting weight is: 135.5

19. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 11, 2010

Walked an hour and a half!!!! I´m proud of myself!!

20. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 11, 2010

Hey, Alicecc--that's exactly how I have lost 47 pounds. I am not "dieting"-- I have just really watched what I have been eating. No eating after 7 pm. Really limiting carbs and just generally cutting down on the amount I am eating. I still eat cookies when I have a craving--BUT only 2, instead of my former 10! I have a Dr.'s appointment this afternoon- I did not watch as carefully over the holidays and think I gained back 5 pounds, but now am back in a routine and hopefully can get back on track. Just think of 9 5 pound bags of sugar!!

21. smalltowngal

Jan 11, 2010

I'm going to make sure that as soon as I get home, before I sit on the couch, I go work out on my elliptical for 30 minutes and do some weight training on my arms today, tomorrow will be legs. I CAN DO THIS! I did well this morning and for lunch so that's good.

22. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 11, 2010

I worked with weights for upper and lower body a little today and hit the elliptical for 30 minutes. I feel really good right now!

I am down by a pound and a half from last week. I'm ok with that since we were snowed in for a couple of days and I couldn't get to the gym.

23. smalltowngal

Jan 11, 2010

mstn~I did the same thing! I feel really good right now, hopefully I can continue. I have a co worker who is the same height/weight and we wanna lose the same amount so we're doing the buddy system.

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 11, 2010

Ok getting ready to go to the gym. You guys have inspired me! I did good with my food. Ok... I had a doughnut for breakfast. BUT I had a lean cuisine at lunch and a healthy beef broth with lean beef. It was yummy! Ok..... off to the gym..... Even though it is cold!

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 11, 2010

I think i'm going to put on my new exercise DVD I got from the library yesterday. It says it's 60 minutes long :eek: I hope I can handle it LOL

26. smalltowngal

Jan 11, 2010

TeacherNY~even if you can't do the full hour, try to make it through at least 20 minutes to start out. You go girl!

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 11, 2010

All done! I survived the whole 60 minutes. It was the equivalent of a 4 mile walk and I don't think I've ever walked that far before LOL

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

I'm doing really well with the food "end" of this, not so great (actually downright lousy) with the exercise. I need to do something, anything, tomorrow--I'll aim for 40 minutes on the treadmill when I get home.

29. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 11, 2010

Worked out for an hour on the eliptical. Then crunches. Weight day tomorrow. And NO MORE doughnuts!

30. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 12, 2010

Had my Dr.'s appointment yesterday and discovered I only gained back 1 pound from the first week of December. Hurray! I also get to eliminate one of my diabetes meds and cut down on another. That is a big deal to me! For those who know what it means, my hbA1C is now 5.8.
    That is motivation to me.

31. smalltowngal

Jan 12, 2010

Kindergarten~that is great about the only one pound weight gain and getting rid of one med!!

Doing bleachers today after school with some co workers and will probably go home and do some weight lifting.

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2010

The best of intentions...I came home, changed into workout clothes and my running shoes and told my son that dinner would be a little late because I was going on the treadmill. 15 minutes in the phone rang--my daughter's volleyball tournament ended an hour early and she needed to be picked up! Grrr...

33. smalltowngal

Jan 12, 2010

I did bleachers today..and did really good for breakfast and lunch, but alas, dinner is fast food. :( I've got to get a handle on that!

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 12, 2010

Can someone be my trainer tonight and tell me to put on my DVD LOL I don't wanna :p

35. smalltowngal

Jan 12, 2010

TeacherNY~PUT THAT DVD ON RIGHT NOW!!!! YOU WILL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER WHEN YOU FINISH..DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 12, 2010

OK OK!!

37. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 12, 2010

Going to go work out. It is cold. I am tired and I don't want to. I am now putting on my workout shoes. I don't want to. I am not slipping on my sweat shirt. I don't want to. I am not turning off the tv. I don't want to. I am not shutting down the computer. Somebody stop me. Good bye my friends. I am doing this for all of us. Off.... to the gym. I DON'T WANT TO and yet, the thought of not being able to wear a swim suit... spurs me onward!

38. smalltowngal

Jan 12, 2010

TeacherNY~how was your workout?

SC~you better go workout!!! That's why I work out before I come home or if I'm working out at home, before I sit down because I know once I'm home/on the couch, I know I won't get up to exercise. I just joined a biggest loser group in my neighborhood. The pot is $10 to join, winner take all and there are about 20 women in it. I'll still be weighting in on Wed b/c that's what day they weigh in. I'm scared. :(

39. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2010

I lost 4.8lbs last week! Now I've lost all of the weight I put back on over the holidays and am ~22lbs lighter since I started trying to lose weight back at the beginning of October.

40. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2010

Congratulations. This is a really big accomplishment.