Biggest Loser 2009-2010

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by futureteach21, Sep 20, 2009.

1. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

Anyone interested on here? I decided after reading some scary articles about what can happen if you are obese, that I need to lose some weight. I have tried over and over, to no avail. I always stop working so hard and gain it all back plus a few more pounds. And what better place to share my weight loss journey than on here?:)

Is anyone interested in joining our BL journey for this school year?

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 20, 2009

I'd be interested-how will it work?

4. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

I dont really know :)
    I think we all introduce ourselves, what we weigh now, what we hope to weigh. Maybe share our inspiration for losing weight.
    Then we pick a day to weigh in.
    I always need to some extra support so this is definitely a place to push eachother to succeed and share tips!

How does that sound?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2009

I've lost 9.8 pounds since the end of July. 6 more to goal.

6. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

Nice Cza!
    I'll just introduce myself to start out!
    I don't know exactly what I weigh now, but its probably about 190.
    I want to weight 140.
    My inspiration: I am young, in college, and want to be happy! My weight always holds me back from enjoying the best years of my life! I'm tired of letting my weight control everything I do and how much I enjoy my life:help:

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2009

What is it you want to do that you can't do now? I have a friend who go the stomach band several years ago. She lost a lot of weight but she is still not doing what she envisioned herself doing- it really wasn't the weight holding her back and I think she is beginning to realize that.
    Think of one thing you can do this week that will make you feel better- maybe it's walking the few blocks to the library or to the coffee shop instead of taking the car, maybe it's a trip to the local farmers' market and getting lots of fresh veg- and while there buy yourself a chrysanthemum to celebrate fall...Call a friend and ask them to join you on a field trip...bottom line, enjoy NOW and still make good choices to help you reach your goals.
    Are you on a plan, futureteach, or just cutting calories/exercising. I find that following a plan and having a support network helps keep me accountable.

8. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Sep 20, 2009

I'd love to be part of this.

I'll introduce myself. I weigh 197. I'm kind of tall so if I could weigh 155-160 I'd be pretty happy.

My inspiration: I'm in my mid-twenties, single, and I don't want to miss out on things just because I'm a little on the heavy side. About two years ago, I dropped down to 155 and then I don't know what happened...I went right back up!!!! Maybe encouragement found on here can help me get back to where I was! :)

9. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

Whenever I'm out with friends, I lack the confidence I need to stand out. I always beat myself up for being "the big one" in my group of friends. I guess what I'm not doing now- is being the confident person I know I can be. I'm naturally outgoing, but my weight is the only thing that stops me from being completely myself. But thanks cza- I will definitely take your advice and live in the moment while improving myself.

Welcome Iheart5thgrade- I think we have a long in common :)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2009

I'll participate.

We have a group of A to Z members at SparkPeople.com if anyone is interested. The site is completely, 100% free. It has tons and tons of tools like nutrition calculators, food logs, activity logs, articles, videos, mean plans, exercise plans, etc.

Just click on the link below and register. My username is Cassie753 if it asks you for a referral name. (I don't get anything for it, it just links your account to mine and makes it easier for you to find the A to Z group.)

http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_individual.asp?gid=23384

11. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

What day should we weigh in?

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2009

I vote for Thursday. It's the same day I'm doing my Weight Watchers weigh-ins at school.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2009

Czacza is right. A lot of people think these issues will "take care of themself" because it is "only the weight." They don't, and it isn't. You have to work on the underlying psychological issues too. Think about it--if losing the weight would solve all of your problems, you would have done it, no? That is pretty powerful motivation.

Losing weight is %#$)_@ hard, in part because we hold ourselves back with all sorts of ridiculous mental baggage. I know, I've been there! I lost 150lbs after gastric bypass. My life sure did change for the better, and I could finally do things like go on roller coasters and buy nice clothes, but adjusting mentally is a much longer haul. Not just for me, but for almost everybody in my support groups (it was easiest for people who had once been at a "normal" weight, especially as teens and young adults). It took me almost two years to finally get used to buying clothes in the proper size. And sometimes, even now, 4+ years later, I STILL get the ghost sensation of being "the big girl" in the room.

Not trying to be gloom and doom or discouraging. I just really feel that permanent, significant weight loss is most successful in conjunction with counseling of some kind.

14. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

Thursday sounds great to me!

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 20, 2009

I'm in! I lost 40 pounds this summer and am gearing up to do another round of the diet I'm on in a few weeks. Right now, I'm in the maintenance phase so I'm making healthy choices and my weight has stabilized for the past five weeks. I have completely cut out processed foods, and go easy on the carbs. I've found that my body can handle fatty foods well if I watch the carbs and sugar. I can eat cheese, meat with fats, olive oil, etc. and my weight has remained consistent. Diet foods, although low in calories, can add in some yucky processed stuff, so I am eating whole foods.

My current weight is between 191-194 pounds. I hope to lose 30-40 pounds in my next round. My goal would be 150 pounds, but I would be happy with 160. (I'm tall-5'8)

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2009

I forgot to introduce myself!

I'm Cassie. :)

I'd prefer not to post my starting weight here because it's depressing and won't be a good motivator for me. I'm just going to post updates on where my current weight is in relation to my starting weight. I hope that's okay.

Right now my goal is to lose about 30 pounds from where I'm at now. After that, I'll try for another 30.

I lost about 45 pounds already last school year, most of it unintentionally (bad year, stress, etc.). I've managed to keep it off throughout the summer, for which I am extremely proud. :)

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2009

I'll join, too. Ultimately I would like to lose about 60 pounds, but at this point I would love to lose 25 pounds and get to a weight that I haven't been since I reached this height. I am also in my mid-20s and have never been a "normal" weight in my life and I would like to get healthier.

I've been trying to slowly gear myself into jogging lately by doing the Couch 2 5K program and I hoping to keep it up and eventually be able to job long distances. I really need to focus on making better food choices and trying to not overeat as much.

18. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

Menu Plan for tomorrow:
    1 egg for breakfast
    apple for snack
    turkey sandwich for lunch
    string cheese for snack
    vegetable soup for dinner

How does that look?

19. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 21, 2009

FutureTeach21-looks great! You will probably want to add a protein for dinner. Like vegetable soup with chicken or lentils. I have added sugar-free, natural peanut butter to my apple and it is a great snack. ETA: Peanut butter, even natural peanut butter, has fat so you want to be cautious if you add this in as a protein.

My menu plan for tomorrow:
    Breakfast:
    Coffee with half and half (Toffee flavored Stevia-natural sweetener)
    hard boiled egg
    1 Turkey Sausage

Lunch
    Ground Turkey Taco Salad (green lettuce, ground turkey, onion and cilantro salsa, chipotle sour cream)

Snack
    Apple
    Sugar-Free Peanut Butter

Dinner
    Grilled White Fish (probably Tilapia)
    Grilled Veggies (yellow and green squash)

It has a good balance of fat, protein, and veggies. I'll probably add a serving of strawberries for the morning or morning snack.

I weigh in every morning.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2009

I don't think that looks like enough food, especially for breakfast. If you were doing Weight Watchers, that stuff would equal maybe...13-15 points? I bet you'd probably be advised to eat like 25-30 points per day. So you'd only be consuming half of your recommended calories, which isn't good or conducive to weight loss.

21. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Sep 21, 2009

Thursdays sounds like a good day to weigh in.

Menu for today:

Cereal and OJ for breakfast
    yogurt snack

Chicken salad with crackers for lunch

not sure about supper as I have a dinner meeting...but I will try to make good choices! :) :)

22. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Sep 21, 2009

Livestrong.com has an app like the Bodybug one on the Biggest Loser. You put in your weight, goals, etc and it tells you what your calorie intake should be. You track all of your food and exercise too.

23. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 21, 2009

I added a yogurt for my breakfast and glass of milk! So I think I'm good :) The rest of your day's look great too.

I wish I could get a bodybug, but they are SO expensive!

24. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Sep 21, 2009

The livestrong website app is free.

25. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 21, 2009

Okay, I'm in.
    I just quit WW because the medication I am currently taking actually holds weight on, and the losing process is very slow. My doctor is going to change my meds once September is over. (he said beginning of school is not a good time to change!)
    I weigh 193 right now, and I would love to get down to 150. That is a good weight for me. It is not the "standard" weight for my height, but I know what I can maintain easily.
    I want to lose weight for my health. I want to feel good in my skin again. I want to enjoy going clothes shopping and not feel as though it is a chore. I am in my mid 40's, and I don't want to hear menopause as an excuse for not losing weight. I know I am perimenopause, and my body is going through changes, but I want to walk without being winded, and to not have nagging backaches due to my excess weight.
    So...my game plan is to exercise at least 4 times a week, make better food choices-(like NOT eating the m&ms i ate before writing this), and drinking more water.

26. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 21, 2009

thanks cassie, I will have to look at that spark people

27. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

Yes, I have to lose weight for me! I don't want to say my starting weight....wayyyyy tooo much! I plan to do this in stages, so I'll start out with 10 pounds making it feel more doable. My eventual long term goal is to lose about 80 pounds.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 21, 2009

I'm in! I have lost about 13 lbs this summer but have been losing and gaining the same 2 lbs for about 3 weeks now. Time to get down to business. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning and start from there! I want to lose about 20 more lbs.

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2009

I'm in! I've lost about 5 lbs since the first day of school (I think from going from doing nothing to walking around all day!!). I'm at an ok weight for my height (135), but my ideal weight would be between 125-130 so 5 to 10 lbs.

30. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 21, 2009

I want to do it too. I was trying to find someone at work to help motivate me.

I am walking my puppy in the morning and evening for a total of about an hour a day, but still eating like a horse. I know if I can change to healthier eating habits the weight will just fall off, well, maybe not fall off.

31. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 21, 2009

I stuck to my food plan today! And spent 45 minutes on the elliptical, and did a 15 minute walk with my dog after :)

I'm sensing some positive changes for me in the near future! Glad to see so many people joining!

32. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 21, 2009

Good job, Futureteach! I pretty much stayed to my food plan for today but had a delicious steak for dinner instead of white fish.

33. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 22, 2009

One more day until we weigh in :) Let's all have a great Wednesday!

34. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 24, 2009

187.2- I'm alright with that even thought I don't know if I actually lost weight because I didn't weigh myself day one. But I worked hard this week, so I am viewing it as progress :)

35. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Sep 24, 2009

I weighed and I maintained the same weight--197. I'm okay with that because I just signed up for this on Sunday---so it's kind of quick to expect a pound or more to be lost by Thurs. So as long as I stick to it, I should lose next Thursday at the next weigh in! :)

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2009

I'm down half a pound which is okay considering I had a bad food day one day and haven't exercised at all, save for the wakling I do at school.

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 24, 2009

Today I took my starting weight so next Thursday I will weigh in and see if I've lost anything!

38. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2009

I did the same thing.

39. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 24, 2009

Sounds good :)

40. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2009

I'm down half a pound this week. Last week I was down 3.2. The grand total so far is 3.8 pounds. Woo!

41. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 24, 2009

I have maintained my weight within +2 or -2 pounds of my last goal weight. I am at the higher end so hopefully the next few days will be good. I will not expect to lose weight until I go on my next round of the HCG diet, which will be the second week of October.