biggest crybabies?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sk8enscars311, Oct 17, 2008.

1. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

Does anyone notice that 2nd grade seems to cry and be more dramatic than the other grades? I'm a music teacher and right now I see PreK, kindergarten, and 2nd grade everyday for the whole quarter and 2nd grade is my whiniest, neediest class. PreK, who had a rough start, can actually sit down, get quiet and participate for a half hour without any problems. 2nd grade has 15 kids in it and they spend the whole time finding things to cry about. I have one who literally will fall, dramatically, to the floor and drag her body to her chair because she's sooooooooooo tired. I could just scream!! I try to give them positive attention right from the start and throughout class but they still do things and then I get so annoyed and get "mean".

Oh yeah, I guess my question is.... do the students in your 2nd grade class cry a lot?

3. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

Sounds rough...and I didn't think anyone could be more dramatic than 5th grade girls! :rolleyes:

4. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

Hmmmm. I agree that 5th grade girls LOVE drama and are clique-ish. Kinders cry because they cannot really express their feelings yet (and they tire quickly.) I don't find that my second graders cry all that much. . .

5. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

My second graders last year were criers until after Christmas. This year, no tears...I'm looking for wood to knock on...:p

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 17, 2008

I've never had that problem with 2nd grade -- but I know I would find it extremely annoying.

As I tell my students everyday -- you need to keep your teacher happy -- because when I'm happy, we have a good day, we learn a lot, and we have fun. When I'm not happy, nobody is happy!

And heaven-forbid I turn into "Big Mean Angry Teacher" (my somewhat overdramatic alter-ego...) My kids laugh about that -- but they really do seem to get it. If you annoy the teacher, your day will be unpleasant. It is the natural consequence to your action.

7. lolabear1

lolabear1 Rookie

Nov 14, 2008

I have a couple kids this year who seem to cry a lot. Ignoring the behavior usually works for me. Once they realize I'm not buying into it, the tears magically dry up.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2008

Hmmm, no, have been in grade 2 for 8 years now and really haven't ever had a 'class of criers'... Could be the dynamics of this particular group? If a kid was falling out of their chair every music period, I'd have him/her sit on the floor- get a bean bag or carpet squares...What does your music class period look like? Describe it. What time of day do the grade 2 kids get to you?

9. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 4, 2008

Oh my Gosh, I'm so glad someone else said it so I didn't have too. My second graders cry constantly -- ironically it's always the boys, NEVER the girls.

Today I actually had to call a child's father because he threw a tantrum because he got one word incorrect on his spelling pretest (which isn't even worth a grade! it's just practice).

Another little boy had a tantrum because he was turned talking to a student, so I told him to go put a check by his name. He started crying and freaking out and screaming at the top of his lungs, "I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

He acted like I had slapped him, told him there was no Santa Claus and his mother was ugly. It was really not that serious.

I didn't have this problem with my last class -- they rarely cried unless it was something really serious or if they were hurt. I don't know what's up with this years second graders.