Biggest change between years 1 and 2?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GAteacher87, Jul 27, 2012.

1. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 27, 2012

Teachers, what was the biggest change for you between your first and second year of teaching?

3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2012

I learned to be myself.

4. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jul 27, 2012

This year will be my second year so although it hasn't started yet, it definitely feels different. Before going into my first year, I felt somewhat clueless and didn't know what to expect or what my biggest challenges would be. I feel more prepared and ready to take on year 2! I've also had more time to become more organized and prepared for the year so that will help.

5. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

I was actually more anxious and nervous going into my second year. My first year, I didn't really know what to expect going in...that year was a tough one(likethe majority of new teachers). I had a really tough class.

Even though I began the year more nervous, I actually had a good year. MY first year was so tough that I told myself if the next year didn't go better, I was going to find another career. Luckily for me, my 2nd year was much better!

I was better prepared and did a much better job of managing student behaviors.

I am now going into my 7th year teaching! I can't believe it....

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2012

My first year I was oblivious to what I did not know. Going into the second year I realized I needed to change some things. It's a constant evolution.

One piece of advice I have found to be very helpful is to focus on one specific area to improve upon each year.

Best wishes for a wonderful year.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 27, 2012

I think the biggest thing for me was knowing what to expect.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 27, 2012

iheartrecess, I think that's a good idea about focusing on one thing to improve on. I'm technically going into my second year but am at a new district. This year I'm focusing on being more prepared and organized. Last year I didn't even get books until about 2 weeks before school started and had no help so I went in without a solid plan. This summer I've been doing tons and tons of prep work!

I actually had a decent first year compared to some but I'm looking forward to being more organized this year :)

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 27, 2012

You know more.
    You also know what you don't know.
    Though I've never had a "hard" year of teaching, year 2 was more work for me than year 1 because I knew what I wanted to be doing to make year 1 better.

10. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 27, 2012

I wish I could go back to my first year - the brightest and most motivated students I've ever had, and I was too nervous about doing everything right, that I did not appreciate them! That said, the big difference was like most of what the others have stated: I knew what I needed to change and learn, and learned that most teachers are constantly tweaking things from year to year.