Biggest Challenge

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kairea, Nov 20, 2007.

1. kairea

kairea Rookie

Nov 20, 2007

I am interested to find out what other teachers would consider to be their biggest challenge in the classroom.

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Nov 20, 2007

I think the biggest challenge is classroom management.

4. kburen

kburen Cohort

Nov 20, 2007

I guess it could be filled under "classroom management"....but it's actually specific children and their specific issues....One of them basically never stops talking, never gets out of everyone elses business, never stops tattling......The other one....We won't go there...>We'll just stay she never stops.......being "preoccupied" and leave it at that....

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2007

My biggest challenge is helping each student with their needs (differentiating curriculum). I want every student to succeed or at least understand the concept, but their is too little time and too many kids... it's tough, but when you have this sort of challenge, you have to find creative ways to help everyone (small groups during readers/writers workshop, AM, etc)

6. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 20, 2007

Classroom management.

My issue is that I have trouble being stern with the students, but I am working on it! ;)

7. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Nov 20, 2007

Planning lessons that engage ALL students is my biggest challenge... I say this b/c I believe that engaging lessons controls classroom management (behaviors, students off task, etc.).

p.s. I am a first year 5th grade teacher in NYC...

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2007

I agree with Peachyness, finding time in the day to reach all students the way that I would like is difficult. Another challenge for me is remembering to strike a balance between school and home and not to let school consume all of my time.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2007

PARENTS who intervene SO MUCH with my redirecting their children that their kids think they don't need to EVER do anything!! ARGH!!!!!!! One parent at our school is on our bakc so often that we are never able to TEACH her child. Every time he gets a paer marked with an incorrect answer she jumps down our throats!! She takes our grades personally because she says she supervises ALL his homework and wants to know why we are marking something wrong when she helped him...? I wish she'd realize that her schol days are over and it's time to let her son go to school alone!!

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Nov 20, 2007

Yikes, Zoe!

My problem is definitely classroom management. I understand what you are saying, ms_teacher, about engaging all students. There are some students who, no matter how you present a lesson, choose to act out for entertainment reasons of their own. My patience is not nearly as thick as I'd like it to be, and I need help finding different ways to approach my "difficult" kids.

11. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Nov 20, 2007

My biggest challenge is differentiating and successfully helping ALL the students in my classroom. I have four students who are so incredibly low that I don't know how to teach them. There is not a single activity they can do with the class. I've tried all the strategies I know of and even small groups don't seem to help them. :( Sigh.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2007

My teammate has a student whose mother wants to come in and sit with her daughter to tell her daughter when to raise her hand.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2007

Not meaning to sound rude, but this mother needs to get a life!

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 20, 2007

I go in too many directions at once. I start too many projects and can't finish them all!

For example in literacy right now:

word study (high frequency words, affixes, making words activities, common patterns like -ed, cursive and grammar. It's too much and I have only been able to do a bit each week, or do a couple weeks of one and not the other.)

reading- independent reading, guided reading, scholastic news, weekly reader science, book buddies, reading partnerships, and we are doing a Shakespeare unit and have to rewrite the entire script of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" into modern English so they know what they mean when they are speaking in the play we are going to perform!)

Writing- pen pal letters, various thank you letters (to a field trip guide, anonymous donors for classroom magazines) journal writing, reading response journals, current event responses (these are prompts to non-fiction) as well as various other writing projects. We just finished our first unit on memior!! It's the end of November! It only took so long because we have SO much going on!

I am probably missing things. Anyway, you can see I try to do WAY too much.

Not to mention, my three math groups, and two science topics at once (forest restoration and fossils?? Crazy!) I'm not doing ANY social studies except for current events in scholastic news and Elizabethan times in our Shakespeare unit. It's a good thing I don't have to cover something specific, like state history.

15. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 20, 2007

Teaching fifth grade math standards to students that haven't mastered 3rd grade standards.

My second biggest challenge is class size. Last year was horrible. At one point I had 34 students. (No t.a. for the majority of the year.)

16. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Nov 21, 2007

Too many kids (34,) not enough time, too many different levels (ranging from pre-K--no joke--to gifted,) and most have really low self esteem to boot. All part of my struggle.

I want to reach 'em but I have no support and I'm on my own.

17. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Nov 21, 2007

Amen, uclalum! How am I supposed to teach fifth grade math long division, fractions, etc to kids who can't even tell me what 5 x 2 is???? So frustrating. How did they ever get this far?

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Nov 21, 2007

Just the other day, I spent 10 minutes trying to get a student to understand that 10 - 9 = 1! And the other third grade classrooms in other schools are already working on multiplication! None of the four 3rd grade classes at my school are there yet.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 21, 2007

TIME

I run out of time for everything from putting up the word wall to changing out our themes.

Classroom Management

I have no problems with it but sometimes when I leave the room and come back there are issues because my teacher struggles with this. Also I want to be able to move on to other things and have her be able to excercise classroom management WHILE she is teaching the class especially since my biggest personal challenge is time.

Accomodation

I provide an accomodation that requires me to think all day about that specific accomodation and how to apply it. It's a challenge when I'm a classroom aide and have a billion other details to attend to.

20. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2007

Time is always an issue here, even as a homeschool. There's never enough time to prepare, preview, etc.

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2007

I guess i fit under classroom management but not under the behavior part, more time and variety.

Trying to arrange a day of some alone work, buddy work, some whole group, etc.

Range lessons from some 5 minute to some 30 minute

Last year it seemed I would have five large projects going one week, and then all crafty ones the next, and all new concepts the next, etc.

22. F4French

F4French New Member

Nov 22, 2007

As a student completing her degree with one last practicum next semester, I am nervous about oh-so-many things! Differentiation is a big concern, especially when teaching in itself is still new to me. However, I do believe it is an essential part of teaching, and must be included in day-to-day practice. thankfully, for all the concerns teachers experience, there is usually a helpful resource or thoughtful peer that can assist in overcoming obstacles. If I've learned anything about the teaching profession, there is always a solution, if you are creative in searching for it! I am hopeful that this will be the case in my career, and in everyone else's!

23. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2007

Basically, my biggest technical challenges have all been mentioned: classroom management, lesson planning, differentiation...

But personally, the hardest part for me is the heartbreak.
    There will always be at least one student who breaks your heart in some way or another.
    This is my first year really neck-deep in Special Ed and they all break my heart. I haven't yet learned how to deal with it.

24. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 22, 2007

For me it's finding a balance in discipline. I believe everyone should be given chances, and in grade 7, they are beginning to be old enough to self-regulate and I want to give them the chance to do that without me always jumping down their throats - so I find that I put a lot of energy into trying to make them think about what they say and do rather than just imposing arbitrary consequences.