BIG time Question for any Texas Kindergarten or 1st Grade Teachers!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rebel1, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2008

Now!
    Are the children required to come out of PRE-K using the D'Nealian Manuscript Handwriting? THIS teacher is telling all of us at this Pre School that it is a REQUIREMENT RIGHT NOW for all children entering into Texas Public Schools that they know and write this alphabet style. I told her that the children will learn it later! Bad enough the 4 year olds are still trying to learn the regular alphabet and now she wants us to dot the children's names in this so called style of manuscript writing. TICKED ME OFF THAT I HAD to STEP away before I GOT RUDE IN HER FACE! I've been known to do that BUT I caught myself before letting that happen. The children are required to do that later on. Right?
    :D
    REBEL1

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2008

How can this be a requirement when some students don't go to prek? I wouldn't think they would be required to be writing it if not every student going into kindergarten went to prek.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2008

Nope. It's hard enough to even get a pre-k child to write one letter...most can't even hold a pencil correctly all throughout the year.

And too, how can this be a requirement for the reason that smalltown stated? Pre-k isn't mandatory...plus, how are you going to "test" that the students can write this way. It's all ridiculous!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

I've never heard of a requirement for even Kinder learning the D'Nealian Script. There are many different language arts programs used and differ on the style of letters taught. Like you said it's hard enough to form the letters without worrying about what I call putting "tails" on them. I personally teach my students the Standard alphabet.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 9, 2008

:agreed:

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2008

Thanks y'all,
    I just knew she was BS/ing. Now! When do the children start the cursive writing anyway? Is it 3rd Grade or 5th?
    Later,
    Rebel1

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 9, 2008

Kids don't start cursive until 3rd or 4th grade, but D'Nealian isn't cursive. It's more of a loopy manuscript, if that makes any sense...it's the script that has the little "tails" on all of the letters, but the letters are still seperate.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

Rebel,
    This could be a district thing. In our district, all teachers are required to teach d'Nealian print. We cannot teach Zanzer-Bloomer (the more traditional "ball and stick" style of letters that most of us learned as a child.)

Now, of course, I wouldn't expect a child to come into pre-K knowing how to write any letters, but I know in our district, as a teacher at ANY level, we are only allowed to teach d'Nealian letter formation. We have absolutely no choice in the matter. (We are a very large district -- and in matters like this, there is no flexibility.)

This type of print is NOT cursive. It is a specific writing system, and about half of the districts in the United States use it. As for cursive, in some districts it is taught in 2nd, and in others, it is taught in 3rd.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2008

I started teaching my students curvise when I taught 2nd grade.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 9, 2008

Have I mentioned I hate d'nealian? Sorry, just had to get that out. I feel better now.

12. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 10, 2008

Its funny how things have changed. I didn't go to K because there weren't any here in the 60's. I learned to print in 1st grade.
    When I started 2nd, we learned to slant our print in preparation for learning cursive after Christmas. I remember the first word on the first spelling test we had in cursive. It was kangaroo! It seemed a mile long at the time.

13. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

Nope..I work in a district in texas where Denellian is not taught at any grade level. They learn regular print in k-2 and then start learning cursive based on those skills in about third grade.

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2008

15. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2008

Me too! It's just the basic alphabet with "wanna be" cursive tails. Why don't they tail the UPPER CASE LETTERS like the lower case letters? You either do it all the way OR don't bother at all.:whistle:
    Just my own opinion AND now I feel better too. :D
    Rebel1

16. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

I teach in Texas and have been at many schools for observations, student teaching, or teaching. Not one of them required d'nealian. Go and look in the TEKS. If it doesn't specifically say d'nealian then you are safe.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 2, 2008

Here in my didtrict we don't teach cursive at all! I actually have to be careful not to accidently write in cursive because my kids can't read it.

I think it's sad what testing has done....

18. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 2, 2008

In my district, Kindergarten doesn't teach handwriting and the handwriting we don't teach is D'nealian. The children are supposed to write words, sentences, stories, but DO NOT teach them how to form the letters. OK, how do we do that??

19. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Oct 3, 2008

Hi
    First of all I do not live in TX and I am not a certified teacher. I did want to mention though at my neighborhood school at least one kindergarten teacher expects that the children come into kindergarten knowing how to write letters with tails (similar to d'nealian). Even though pre-k nor kindergarten are required by the state, a particular teacher assumes that all the children had some type of preschool, where they learned how to write. In kindergarten the children have penmanship books and they are expected to print letters with tails neatly and independently. If the children print the Zaner-Bloser method, they are corrected and shown that they have to add the tails. That same school starts cursive writing in January of the 2nd grade year.

20. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Oct 3, 2008

Even Kindergarten isn't mandatory in the state of Texas.