Big Suggestion.. watch your FB page

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DaleJr88AmpFan, Jun 26, 2012.

1. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jun 26, 2012

I want to offer some advice to those of you looking for a teaching position... watch what you are posting on your Facebook page and/or pictures that you are being tagged in. In many areas of the country, there is major competition for a few positions. If two candidates are equally qualified and yet one has some questionable posts or pictures on FB, who do you think the principal is going to lean towards?!? Yes, principals, know you are "human" and that you "only turn 21 once" BUT... your lack of censorship online might lead them (principals) to question other areas of your personality and effectiveness.

I've had this conversation with a family member of mine who is now entering the job market. My advice was not appreciated at all. And, now, there are more pics online that can be linked back to said family member. Uggh!!!

Off my soapbox now... good luck to you!!!3

3. Tek

Tek Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

NO DOUBT. In fact there was a story about 2 years ago about a teacher who got fired because one of her FB photos showed her in a drunken state.

Make everything private.

Also, google your full name and email address. If you have blogs where you curse or post too negatively, these are also red flags for potential employers.

Basically, you almost have to go ghost protocol. Well, unless you're like me who lives a simple, squeaky clean life :p

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

I have this conversation with students, many aren't ready to hear it. Some even think, "eww, well that person is a stalker, I wouldn't want to work for him." They don't get that the person is being a responsible leader for his organization.

5. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

Many young people, as ku_alum said, are not prepared to hear that information on their FB page is not appropriate and employers may not hire them due to the information. I discussed this with other college students (who are usually at least 15 years younger than me) that they need to take down their frat/sorority party photos. They still think they are invincible, that this only happens to 'other people,' etc.

I am presently looking and have my FB set to private. I don't post anything I would be ashamed of my own teenagers seeing, and before I am tagged in a photo, I must approve the tag. My husband recently went through my account, just in case the settings failed, and noted what I should get rid of (some likes) just to be on the safe side.

I have a Twitter account with my name, but all you will see is that I follow news related information, History channel, etc. I have another Twitter account where I can follow celebs and such, but it does not have my name attached.

MySpace, well, it's been years since I went into there and it is attached to my name from my first marriage - not even sure if it still exists. A google search of that last name brings up that I have a kid with ADD and sold Avon for years, information I am not worried if employers know.

It is important to make sure that one is not acting inappropriately online. Even though my page is safe, that doesn't mean I should say that Johnnie really annoyed me in class today, can't wait for the year to end. In my area, I'm likely friends with someone who knows Johnnie's parents and word will get back to them, so why bother?

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2012

Great advice!

7. CCinIL

CCinIL Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

I agree 100% - and not just for teaching jobs, for any job. I interned at a Fortune 500 company back in college, and they were considering hiring someone from my alma mater - back in those days you could see profiles on the same school network, and they asked if they could use my facebook to check them out! So they really are looking. It is just so stupid to make that information public, when there are so many privacy options. I make a point to have NO photos of myself at bars or with an alcoholic beverage, and no vulgar posts or links (because you never know who on your friends list could be looking too) - and my profile is 100% private too. It's just common sense. I have seen tons of young people ignore this, and then wonder why they never get calls for jobs... thanks for the reminder to everyone!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

I also agree 100%! I have a superintendent who does searches and things...there's a newly employed teacher at my school who constantly posts pics of herself drinking and other things. It makes me sad...teachers don't just work during school hours...we have a professional image to uphold in the eyes of the community 24/7!

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

A couple of years ago, a teacher in a neighboring district took a poll of "Your favorite sex positions", then posted the results on her FB page with the comment "Come on guys, you KNOW you wanted to know this." Uhm...no, not really. Her friends basically said "TMI" and the central office called her in for a conference. Don't know what happened, but that was just sheer stupidity in a small, rural area where people are happy to mind your business for you anyway.

A young cousin of mine (just a couple of years out of college) posted a very sarcastic and snarky comment about her former employer after leaving for a new job. I kept thinking "What if the new job doesn't work out? Good luck getting your old job back". :rolleyes:

Like everyone else, I am VERY careful about what I post on my wall or link on my page.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

I encourage students to friend their grandmother on FB ... the idea that "Grandma might see this."

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2012

My grandma is my friend on fb! :haha:

12. Sweets2005

Sweets2005 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

I keep mine as private as FB lets me (and continue to check those settings, because FB likes to change them on you!) and I remove tags of myself but most importantly, I don't use my real name :) It's more like First Name, First Name. So if my first name was Jenny, my FB name would look like "Jenny Jenn", and that way no one can ever find me in a search by my real name. I hate FB, by the way! I tried to cancel mine but my friends all rioted because they missed me/my kids, so having a faux name was my compromise.

13. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jun 27, 2012

Good Point made! I can't believe what some of my colleages put on their FB pages. Most of these people are very young. But I do agree that being a teacher means that we are put to certain "appropriate" moral standards. Parents are snoopy too. To be honest, I would not want to see one of my kids teachers posting drunken pictures and inappropriate messages. :naughty:

14. CCinIL

CCinIL Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

Mine is my friend! And guess what- it makes you VERY careful. Even if your g'ma isn't on FB- pretend like she is!!!

One of the teachers I student taught with had tons of pictures of himself out partying with other teachers (shots included him chugging gallon-sized alcoholic beverages, with a younger female teacher on his lap at a bar, with some questionable looking women in Las Vegas) - I wasn't even his FB friend- this info was PUBLIC and he was friends with students too. I honestly didn't even want to be associated with his name because of this- I found it extremely irresponsible and disgusting (he was 40, and a coach and teacher- role model!). I always wonder when that might have reprecussions for him.

15. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

Off to check the privacy settings on my Facebook page!

16. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

Incidentally, in regard to an employer asking for your Facebook password or access to somone else's so they can check people out:

"Not only does this practice violate the privacy of the user, but it also a violation of privacy for the friends and contacts of the user. Additionally, any violation of Facebook’s Terms of Service, is in fact, a federal crime. As Egan explains, a privacy violation such as seeking an employee’s Facebook password, “potentially exposes the employer who seeks this access to unanticipated legal liability.”

http://hubze.com/2012/03/your-right...loyers-illegaly-demanding-employee-passwords/

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 27, 2012

The supervisor who used to write my reviews until this year is my FB friend. We keep each other honest, I suppose.

18. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

So true!

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

We've discussed the idea of being careful online before...NOTHING you post online is private...even with security features enabled. The advice has been offered many times here on the forums about posting too much personal info...