Big success

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by halpey1, Oct 16, 2009.

1. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 16, 2009

Ok - I know this board is usually for questions and complaining, but I had a HUGE success today. A boy in my room who knew almost NO letters at the start of school knew 25 today! :thumb:

I've written about it on my blog:

http://halpey1.blogspot.com/

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

What an incredible success! I'm glad you're taking the time to celebrate it--it is easy to spend time on the things that aren't going well, but it's even more important to spend time on the things that are.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 16, 2009

I couldn't agree more. At recess, a few teachers listened as I bragged. I know it's easy to complain about things (oh, and we do that too), but wow it's nice to celebrate successes too.

5. tenndon

tenndon Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

As a 48 year old male who just finished his first student teaching placement in Kindergarten I know exactly where you are coming from. Those aha moments just make the days worthwhile.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 16, 2009

Congratulations Hap. So please sure what you did, I have one little girl who knows zero on bad days and maybe four on good days. I have been trying to figure out what her learning style is going to be. nothing is working so far. I'm thinking about pulling out the Wilson Program.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2009

Congratulations!

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2009

Congrats! It's hard not to over-do it when a kids amazes you- I totally flipped and hugged a girl when she wrote her name by herself for the first time- but hey, those are the things we live for! Good job- you're right, something you are doing is working :)

9. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 16, 2009

Congratulations! That is awesome! Please tell us what you did!

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 17, 2009

Well my school uses the Reading Street program, but honestly I think it is a combination of the Name Game I've done since the first day of school and this particular little boy's willingness to learn... he's got other issues (of course), but I guess he really is paying attention and soaking up what I'm throwing out there.

There are many variations of the Name Game, I've gotten a few from different folks.

Mrs. Meacham has pretty much what I've been doing on her site:

http://www.jmeacham.com/name.game.htm

The key is using the class names to help kids learn their letters. They LOVE their new friends - so it WORKS. :D

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 17, 2009

Jumping Up and Down with Joy for you!!!!

(I never understood this age/grade. But as I spent time in kindergarten...I'm understanding these situations...and the immense joy of recognizing letters!!)

I think we need a thread for successes...and what brought them to that point. (Goes off to make one!)