Big Pay Cut?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CityESLTeacher, Jun 19, 2009.

1. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

I haven't posted in ages, but I need some perspective and this seems like a good place to get it. How much of a pay cut would you take for a job that you loved? I'll give my details later, but I'd love to hear other people's reactions.

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

not much. But I have 6 kids and as a public school teacher I can't afford to go down much.

I live in an interesting place. I live close to metro Dallas area, but about 30 miles east. The town right beside me that I taught in pays about what other schools in DFW pay, but the town I live in pays significantly less and anything east of me pays even less.
    So for jobs I have to go toward Dallas.

So, although the school where I live and those east of me are generally more hospitable, I cannot teach in those schools.

Does that make any sense??? probably not.:(

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

I personally could not take a pay cut becuase of my family. I have 4 kids to feed and cloth. But if I were single and on my own if you can afford to take the pay cut and you think that would like to teach at that school I say go for it. In this day and age when teaching jobs are so hard to get you would be silly not to take a job if you could live on what it pays.

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 19, 2009

I don't know how much lower of a pay I could go and live and I don't have any kids.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2009

I have a family to support so I wouldn't take a drastic pay cut, but if I could still support my family then I would.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

I have taken pretty good pay cuts but they have been worth it 100%. The first cut was to get into a better district closer to my home and the 2nd (best move ever) was to get into the same district where my kids go to school. I was 10 minutes from my work and I loved every minute of it. I wish I were there now! Ho - Hum. Looking forward to my new adventure in my new town and SCARED to DEATH!

8. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jun 19, 2009

Depends on your situation, I would say. For me, I would rather have the perfect job and I don't care how much it pays. But, I have no children and my husband easily supports us with one income.

Although, I also would not like to take a job that underpays me. I know what I am worth and I don't think you would get the same satisfaction from a job if you really thought the pay was beneath you.

9. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

The school I taught in last year just agreed for everyone to take a pay freeze for the next three years. I was barely scraping by on what I was making, so I was not looking forward to not making anything more for the next three years! Luckily, I just took a new position at a school that is not only 20 minutes closer to my home, but I will make about $6,000 more a year. I can't wait for my first new paycheck! :)

10. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Jun 20, 2009

I just agreed to take a huge pay cut, I'm talking about 33% of my salary. I'm wondering if I am crazy, but it seems so right. Right now I teach in what is probably the highest paying urban district in the country. I have been in the inner city for five years and I am just totally exhausted. I think I am good at it and I love my kids, but I need a change. My new job is in a small town. All the people seem nice and I love the idea of working in a supportive community. We don't have kids yet. On one hand I am questioning myself, on the other hand I feel like if I don't make this move now, I never will. I don't want to get burned out. I sure hope this turns out to be worth it!

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 20, 2009

You made the right choice for you. And you can always go back if you get there and wonder what was I thinking??? Enjoy this time. Small towns usually have smaller prices and less expensive housing. Maybe everything will all work out so that the pay cut is not as drastic as you originally thought. I hope so!

12. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

I think you made the right choice. If you were at the highest paying you either had to stay or take a cut. If staying was not working then you have to take the cut. You will probably have less expenses and hopefully a lot less stress.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2009

It sounds like you made a great decision for you!

14. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 20, 2009

Each person is different,facing a different situation.I would rather teach in a school where the children cared about learning and the administration backed you over a school where the discipline was poor and the administration is running scared of the children and their parents.I would take a huge cut to teach in a school where I could actually teach.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 20, 2009

Sounds like a good plan!

I took a very large paycut last year for a job I thought was much better (went down at least 10k), and it ended up being the same political junk. Then I resented the fact that I was getting paid so much less and still having to put up with that. I'm hoping this job really is a dream job for you, and worth every penny you 'gave up'!

16. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

Thanks for the reassurance! I really hope I made the right decision...