Big Lots Teacher Appreciation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsMaggs, Aug 2, 2008.

1. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

Did anybody have good luck at Big Lots this morning? I went and picked up a few things, but there wasn't anything extraordinary, in my opinion. I was happy with the 10% off, but wished I would have slept in and went to Big Lots later to get it! ;)

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

Didn't even know about it!

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

Hubby and I were going to a movie near there, so I stopped in and got some of the broad-tipped Crayola markers in a pack of just red and black, which works very well for something I do for the novel 1984. Not spectacular, but I'll take the extra 10%.

5. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I went but nothing was out that even said Teacher Appreciation. There prices seemed high...even if I got 10% off so I didn't buy anything.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2008

I needed folders to make mini-offices so I dropped by there. I got a couple of other things and saved 10%. That was it.

7. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I went around 11 and I was the first teacher that they had seen. I got a free cd holder that says Big Lots. I bought a few things for my writing center, and that was it. I did save the 10%, so that was cool - a big ole 70 cents!

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

I just went and got a couple 70 sheet spiral notebooks for .10 each. I bought a calendar and a box of 12 decorative edged scissors. I was hoping to get pencil boxes, but there weren't any. I don't like buying the off brand crayons and markers so I didn't buy those. I don't think many teachers were there cuz the clerk didn't know how to enter the discount into the cmputer.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

We drove a loooong way, and there was nothing. The store was super dirty and stuff was falling off the shelves. I had heard they had cheap beanbags, but couldn't find ANY. The people shopping there were really rude and the lines were to the back of the store. Very bad experience. But I've been in good Big Lots before, so I think that was just an unfortunate experience.

I had a great experience at Staples, though, even though it wasn't our appreciation day. The manager gave me the pencil boxes for a penny even though the sale technically ended Wed., and he let me have 20. He even encouraged me to get more. I love love love Staples.

10. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I got .25 scissors, and some crayola colorwave markers along with stuff for home. Nothing extraordinary, but with it being tax free weekend in NC it was pretty great!

I stopped by dollar tree afterward and got a locker organizer to hang on my whiteboard for markers, and some border, but my favorite was the US map!

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 2, 2008

Their Teacher Appreciation Breakfast consisted of warm Arizona Iced Tea and some sort of cookies I saw in one of their aisles on special for $1.50! I was happy that they gave me 10% off my entire order, which included cat food, hangers and canned almonds, tho. When I got to the checkout and tried to pay with an AmEx Gift Card I had rec'd from my class, they told me they don't accept AmEx. Well, I guess that's why they can keep their prices down. One good find - their laser paper for sending notes home was only 45 sheets for $1.00 and there were quite a few school-related prints so I stocked up on that.

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

hmm The Big Lots by my house is nicer and cheaper I guess. I bought $40 worth of stuff.

I bought:
    2 tall bottles of soap for 1.80 each (not spectacular but I needed it)
    1 pack of Mr. Clean reusable cleaning rags for 90 cents
    8 boxes of Simple Harvest Multigrain granola bars on clearance. 90 cents each. Each box had a $1 coupon inside that doesnt expire until 12/31/08
    a spin n store container holder for lunch/leftovers 5.80 (24 containers)
    carpet deoderizer 1.15
    2 9 oz containers of almonds 2.70 each
    face moisturizer with SPF 2.70
    can't think of the rest

Im sure you really needed to hear every little thing I bought lol

13. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I went today and I was very dissapointed. I guess I should have known but you had to have your teacher ID. I know I should have known that but there wasn't anything about that in the ad. I went up to the cashier with everything and they said I couldn't do it because I didn't have my ID or a tax exempt letter. I wasn't looking to have a taxt exempt, just looking to get the 10%. I later on talked to the manager (not complaining at all, just to talk to). He said that there were a lot of teachers complaining and leaving for the same reason. I did end up buying the stuff but yea.