Big January Activity

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by amyne, Dec 28, 2006.

1. amyne

amyne Rookie

Dec 28, 2006

Hi,

I am looking for a big activity to do in January. In November, another teacher and myself had a Thanksgiving Feast. In December, we had a Polar Express Day with a cardboard train we made and the kids wore their PJ's, had hot cocoa the whole thing. Now we are looking for something to do in January. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Amy

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 28, 2006

Penquins. (it's January and winter) Students present "Tacky the Penguin" by Helen Lester.... You will find it at http://teachers.net/lessons/posts/1129.html Make a copy for each student. Hi-lite the students part, helps them know when to speak. Ahead of time I would have students make Penguins by decorating empty toilet paper rolls, pattern at http://www.dltk-kids.com/t/animals/bpenguin.html Have finished penguins sitting around the room. I would have students read Penguin Pete series books or any penguin books in your library and for chapter reading “Mr. Popper's Penguin's”. (we are about half way, students love it) There is a great pattern at www.AtoZTeacherStuff.com I think it was under printables. Make a penguin book. You will find a pattern for a cover, page with lines, and a page without lines. www.billybear4kids.com/TinyTitles/shapePenguinUC.html also has a cute penguin book. Students might write a poem in their book or tell something about penguins. Our students are also going to copy a penguin poem on one page. The poem we are putting on one page of out Penguins books is: Five Little Penguins Dressed in Black... Five little penguins, dressed in white and black. Waddle, waddle forward and waddle right back! Five little penguins, in a funny pose, They are wearing their evening clothes. Their suits are black and their vest are white. They waddle to the left and they waddle to the right. They stand on the ice and they look very neat, As they waddle along on their ten little flat feet. One page will have the penguin’s facts (we will read together). One page will have a story problem. Example: 2 big penguins and 2 small penguins were eating krill. How many penguins were eating krill? And I will put four or five other 3+4 = ____ 5+2=___ and etc on the page We are going to do the work sheet "A Penguin Grows Up" But I don't know where I found it either. I am going to buy sugar cookies, the cheapest big round ones I can find. A can of chocolate frosting and a can of white frosting. Make an upside down V White for the penguin’s tummy; Cover the rest of the cookie with Chocolate frosting, wings. Add a chocolate cookie for the head. A red M and M for the mouth, and brown M and M's for the eyes, or you can use chocolate chips, or raisins for eyes, Pineapple tidbits or candy corn, for the beak, and feet. Students will decorate the cookies, as a fun project. Share a cookie, (have the cookie in a zip bag) a toilet paper penguin, and penguin book with your visitor. I would have a paper sack for her to put her penguins in. Take a brown sack, turn down the top to the inside --3 inches, punch holes in the top (2 on each side about 4 inches between holes, depends on the size of sack you use) and make handles, with cord. (like bags you buy). Paste a picture of a penguin on the bag. Or just buy a bag at a dollar store. During recess have penguin races. Use plastic Easter Eggs. Put feet together and carry the eggs on the top of our feet like the father penguin, to a marked line and return to the start. Students get to keep the surprise inside. A piece of bubble gum. Eggs I'll save and use again next year. www.littlegiraffes.com has lots of cute penguin ideas – Some of these ideas are to old for K. Instead of having students read the books. You can read the books to them. Students will enjoy looking at the pictures.

4. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Dec 28, 2006

We always used the end of January and possibly early February to do a Castle theme. The kids could do all sorts of projects, write (or dictate) and illustrate their own fairy tales, learn dances, etc. They concluded with a Festival day with a dance, games, feast, and special guests from a reinactment group in medieval costumes.

It was a fun post-holiday break that made coming back from winter break seem like a great adventure! We used a "Queen of Hearts" theme to tie the Castle Unit into a Valentine's Unit!

Let me know if you would like specific project ideas!

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2006

Penguins are a great idea. I am always in awe about how the kg. students are able to tell the different types of penguins apart.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2006

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2006

Do something to celebrate diversity. Plan a party for the kids and invite the parents. You could have a pinata, eat some simple foods from several cultures, ask anyone if they have some items to display, have the parents read to the class from specific books celebrating diversity.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2006

One thing that could be done for this is to have the children paint flags of different nations as part of the decorations.
    Another idea is to have the kids wear clothes that represent their own heritage or perhaps someone elses. GEt the parents to help them with this. Have the parents visit and let the kids sing a couple of songs from different countries. Have a large map of the world and point out some of the countries that are represented.