Big decision

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ChelserG90, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ChelserG90

ChelserG90 Rookie

Jan 16, 2015

The principal at my school just offered me a 2nd/3rd grade split job. I'm completely overwhelmed. She said I could take the 1st grade if I wanted it, but I think she wants me to lean more towards the 2nd/3rd. She told me that I would get 6 of the best behaved/smartest 3rd graders. Still, I'm just kinda shocked. I'm barely handling 2nd grade this year. How in the heck am I going to handle 2nd and 3rd grade at the same time?

She asked the third grade teachers to just give me a copy of their lesson plans next year, but still I don't know how effective that would be? How do you even teach a split level grade?:unsure:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2015

I LOVE teaching combos...however, based on other threads here, I am in a very small minority :blush::blush:

It takes more planning, but it can be done. I usually begin by dividing the standards up into standards that both grades share and separate grade level standards. There are usually many standards that both grades share. Then I can plan the instruction for those standards. The older group digs a little deeper into the standards. In reading, this is accomplished in small group. I also taught small group for math standards.

The standards that are not shared are taught separately while the opposite group is doing independent work.

I taught a K-5 classroom for many years and some years I had each group go to specials with their grade level. This allowed instruction to be given to the other grade level (s).

I'm not sure I would ask a new teacher to do a combo. You really need enough experience in both grade levels to feel confident in your subject knowledge and classroom management.

You are saying that you don't feel confident enough in your present grade to take on that task. That may be what you want to tell the P.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 16, 2015

I student taught in a 3rd/4th split classroom designed for accelerated learners needing enrichment. I enjoyed it as a student teacher, although I'm not sure I would have felt the same if it was my own classroom. I'm not sure I wouldn't enjoy it. I just don't feel like I can say for sure, since student teaching is so different from having your own classroom.

My cooperating teacher ran it by having two separate math lessons, each grade doing independent work while the other one was receiving instruction. On occasion, a para might come in to provide support. ELA was taught in whole group and small group, just like you would do in any single-grade-level classroom. Since the students were all high-achieving students, the teacher was able to meet all the ELA standards without issue. Content (such as science and social studies) was taught whole group. The students stayed in the room for two years (both 3rd and 4th grade), so the teacher would do third grade content standards on the A year and fourth grade content standards on the B year. That means that some students would learn certain content while in third grade while others wouldn't learn that content until fourth grade. However, sometime before they left her class, they would be exposed to those content standards. All of the students, regardless of their grade-level, attended specials classes together as one class.

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2015

Instead of worrying about the principal's wishes, since the principal gave you the choice, choose the one you actually want. How long have you been teaching? if you are within your first three years I would say go for a single grade if possible.

I have taught combination classes and they take a lot more organization. I enjoyed teaching it, however if your school is not set for permanent multiple aged classes you probably will never get the opportunity to master teaching a combination class. Instead you will do it one year and then be doing a single grade the next year.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2015

I would never want to teach a bridge class, just my opinion. Why would you want the smartest 3rd graders if the rest of the class is going to be 2nd graders? Seems like a big gap. Is this special ed?