Big changes at school=nervous teachers!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 27, 2010

My school has a bunch of changes happening this upcoming school year. It wasn't the plan for us to have so many balls in the air, so to speak, but fifth grade is getting hit the hardest with changes. Here's what's happening:

--Switching from a 7, 55 min. period schedule to a 5, 75 min period schedule

--Fifth grade is switching from a 4 person team to two 2 person teams which means we will all be teaching an additional subject that we weren't teaching last year.

--We have a new 5th grade teacher (my partner).

--The other 5th grade team will be co-teaching with a sp.ed. teacher.

--We have a new standards based (4,3,2,1 system) report card K-5.

--We have a new benchmarking system being administered by an outside company.

--We will have a new middle school principal, but interviews are still being conducted, so we don't know who this person will be.

:unsure:

We're excited to get started and have been meeting all summer trying to get things in order, but now that it's getting closer, we're all starting to freak out a little bit! There are just a few too many adjustments to make in such a short time. :dizzy:

3. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

I know exactly what you mean! New secretary, major construction that is not even close to being finished, new math program, new standards report card for us also, uncertainty with possibilities of 1/2 time positions/classrooms . . .

Ack!

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 27, 2010

Totally understand. 3 new AP's this year, completely new bell schedule and we're all still trying to get familiar with the P they gave us in January.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2010

same here..
    1. new standards based report card last year....many parents not happy because 3 is meeting standard, but they see a 3 as anything from 70%-90- something% and don't think it's fair that their child who is getting 93% get the same score as a child getting 70%.
    2. new teacher on board last year for a long term sub, didn't get rehired so another new teacher for this year.....up to 7 teachers per grade level....
    3. new superintendent.....had an interim and an assistant last year....interim didn't want the job, assistant did. Assistant didn't get it, so she's retiring this year
    4. 2 new principals---one still not chosen yet

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 27, 2010

Wow! That is a lot of adjustment. The standards-based report cards really surprise me-something parents and kids will probably need adjusting to.

We just found out that our district is laying off 200 Special Ed teachers and 200 paraprofessionals-which translates to our school having to pink slip 2 teachers and one para-ouch! We are going to be under construction next year so no playground-no recess for the year and no parking lot-should be interesting! :whistle:

7. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

No playground or recess for the year?! Yikes! What sort of construction and why are they doing it during the school year? What are you going to do in place of the playground for recess?

8. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

70-90s is a pretty big gap. Our meets is 80-93. I think parents are going to have to embrace the difference between a grade and progress assessment, which won't be easy.

9. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

Our school has had some changes for next year also...though not as dramatic. We have had four teachers swich grades (not their choice), a special ed teacher switching to 2nd grade, and a new 3rd grade teacher and a new reading teacher. We also had a long time secretary in the office leave and we have a new one coming in to take her place. It is going to be a very interesting year!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 27, 2010

Last year we...
    *Moved to a new building (mostly finished but details are still not completed)
    *We had no idea what our procedures were and muddled through creating them as we learned what worked best. Even things such as bus/parent drop offs/pick ups, etc. Every teacher switched grades (except 1).
    *Upper grades went back to having the same teacher all day after several years (and habits formed) of being departmentalized.
    *We got a new curriculum director (ie, new person in charge of new teachers and evaluations, etc.).
    *Went from having an aide for every classroom to sharing aides among multiple classrooms.
    *We added a special needs classroom (previously all were either included or sent to our second campus).

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 27, 2010

Last year in August none of our playgrounds had been even started. By September they were completed. I didn't think we were getting them there for a while.

12. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

Change can be hard. But it is constant in a teacher's career. There are never 2 years that are the same. Different kids, schedule, procedures, rooms, buildings, staff, admin., parents... We must be very flexible people.
    Me? I am starting a new job in a new district - so everything is new!

13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

I prefer to ignore changes for now. As we are going back to work that is what I always dread. I would prefer for now to pretend the changes don't exist.

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

Not all of those types of things have to change every year. Yes, the students and parents change each year, but the other things don't have to change so much.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 28, 2010

We've got big changes too!

* 16 new teachers, 1 new counselor, etc.
    * 10 or so new elective courses.
    * switching to A/B block schedule
    * new computer program for attendance/grades
    * personally, I'm teaching 2 new classes
    * 8 teachers will be floating this year
    * about 10 teachers moved classrooms

16. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 28, 2010

To the orginial poster...WOW!! That's a lot of change!

And I thought we had the wheel of change on our school block!

New principals all over the place, people shifting here and there due to school closings, schools closing to save money, teacher's being shifted to teach subjects they have no background in teaching (So, you got a degree in Phys Ed? Yep, you're good for teaching math!)...and all because of the big B word. Budget cuts. Thank you, State of Idaho Education Budget People!

The only thing that is consistant is that those who have survived the switching, have jobs. Yea for having a job! :thumb:

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2010

I think this year is probably seeing the biggest amount of change since I started at the school, but still not a lot.

New PE Teacher
    Grade 3 teacher moving to K
    Grade 1 teacher doing 1-2 split
    Grade 2 teacher moving to Resource
    Grade 2 teacher moving to grade three
    New position of Math Mentor
    New Literacy Intervention teacher
    I'm moving from grade one to grade two

Not too bad really. Next year, our principal is likely to retire, and THEN we'll be seeing changes!

18. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 28, 2010

Last year was the same for me:
    *I moved to a brand new school (positive note - kept the same principal since they moved her also)
    *Most of the staff came from another school that was converting into a Theme School
    *Several new staff members
    *New APs

This year:
    New Reader's Workshop
    New Math Workshop
    New Writing Program
    New AP (one of the ones from last year left to pursue her doctorate)
    Several NEW teachers
    Several teachers switching grade levels (I can think of 10 not counting the brand new ones)
    New Academic Coach
    (think that's it, but am sure I forgot something)

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2010

Wow. That's A LOT of changes so I can imagine the desire to meet during the summer to plan and organize. Did you do that on your own or was that the expectation- that you would work through the summer? Why were all the changes made? (I'm thinking budget or achievement driven?) And I thought my head was spinning just changing grade levels!:dizzy:

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

Last year, every teacher in my school was teaching something different or adding responsibilities except one:

1st grade teacher moved to K
    3rd grade teacher moved to 1st
    4th grade teacher became the AD
    I moved from 5th to 3rd
    5th became part of departmentalized middle school (adding a class and taking away the only plan period from those teachers)
    Upper grade science and language teachers were new...

We made it through, and are glad that the only major change this year is a new P!

Oh, and we got a new S.S. curriculum that was backordered--my student texts arrived the second week of school, my T.E. didn't come for another few weeks...