Big brother`

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by stephenpe, Mar 2, 2007.

1. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2007

Most of my colleagues are fed up with the strangle hold
    on our computers. Not the ones kids use but the ones
    we use on our desks. So many sites are blocked in the name of
    security that many useful ones are unnessarily blocked that we could
    use. ( my two year old is rolling a battery on my computer desk as we speak and causing my train of thought to drift). I have sites blocked when I try to buy equipment for PE (it is called shopping)
    I cannot visit PE blog sites and all kinds of places because of
    innocent but suspect words. Many of us go home and retrieve info
    and email it back to our school email (in fla we have to use FIRN email as our much better personnal email is blocked).
    I know the whole reason is the fear of lawsuits. Personnally, I am sick of it. I have no problem blocking
    bad stuff but its overkill. And btw, we can do nothing with our computers like download, run play news video, change screensavers, fonts etc. ok Im off the soapbox.

3. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Mar 3, 2007

If the computer is strictly for your use you could probably talk to your technology lead about changing the security settings.

I know you're frustrated, but you have to appreciate why security on the internet at schools is so tight. If not, check out the case against Julie Amero who is facing 40 years in prison because her school district didn't have the proper security installed on her classroom computers.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2007

Can you bring a laptop in?

5. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Mar 3, 2007

Wow, I thought my school was the only one that was imposing that much control over our computers!

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 3, 2007

Our school has 2 computers that aren't blocked by the firewall. One if the principal's and one is mine (I'm the tech coordinator). Even ours has been blocked from updated Quicktime and other programs like that. I emailed our tech parish person to let him know I needed to updtate Shockwave to use some of my NASA software and he replied that it took too much bandwith to do that, so we weren't allowed. So, I replied, copying to my supervisor and his, that it was one update and I would do it before school started (so it wouldn't interfere with anyone else). I had a response in 10 minutes that he would open the window until 8:00 am the next morning. For him, it's a power thing. The sad thing is, our Jr High and High school kids know how to get around the firewall and are still streaming music and playing games. The only ones being blocked are the teachers.