big book

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 1gdteach, Apr 12, 2008.

1. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 12, 2008

Ok Ya'll I have to make a big book for one of my college classes. I want it to be interactive and fun... Does anyone have any ideas!!!!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 12, 2008

If you are going to "cut and paste," use rubber cement so it won't bubble or wrinkle. Glue sticks don't hold on tight, and white glue wrinkles and bubbles.

When you say you want it to be "interactive," what specificially do you mean? Do you have a topic in mind?

What kind of graphics program are you going use, or do you just have a word processor?

I'd love to help. (PS I have access to some fairly sophisticated graphics programs, if you need help with graphics, just let me know.)

4. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 12, 2008

I only have word. With interactive I was thinking about I don't know something fun. At first I was thinking about a kindergarten theme where they feel things. Ex... All alligators adore apples and put felt on the apples, calvin the cat crunched cookies put sandpaper on the cookies. Does that make sense. Oh and by the way I am the queen of procrastination its due Monday.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 12, 2008

Uhm...yeah, I'd say you have left it to the last minute....but I'm sure you'll pull it off. The only problem I see with having something they feel in a big book is this -- how do they take turns feeling it? If there are 20 children in your make-believe class, and each one will take a turn feeling something, what will the other 19 children be doing while they are waiting for their turn, or for you to read the next page.

Here's a different idea -- use it if you like, or ignore it if you don't. What about 20 shapes that go in a ziploc attached to the inside cover. Before you start reading, you hand one shape to each child (you do the extra ones, if there are any). You descibe them as you hand them out. "Here Stephanie, here is your blue circle." etc.

Then each picture in the book has a shape in it, that matches one of the shapes you have handed out. Maybe a clown's head made from a yellow circle, or an egg from a white oval. A small piece of velcro could be used on the book and the back of the shape. You ask the children "What shape do you see?" Then you have the child with the matching shape come up and velcro it to the book.

Just a thought.

6. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 12, 2008

that's a great idea... so what about an theme or what ever for the book. RainStorm you are so creative.... I hope to be creative one day.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 12, 2008

What about "Shapes at the Circus" ? The juggling balls and clowns big head could be the circles. Another clown (different page) could have a cone for a hat. There could be a star on the tightrope walker's shirt, and a heart on the (female) animal trainers top. The tightrope itself could be pulled tight across two triangles, or the podium for the seals could be decorated with triangles.

Does that give you any ideas? Hope it helps.

8. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 12, 2008

that is a good idea... Thank you so much!!!! Off I go to get started.... [​IMG]

9. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 12, 2008

How about flip up pages? Ex: It can be a guessing book. Page 1- "I can hop. I am green. What am I?" Then the kids flip the part of the page up to reveal "I am a frog" with a picture of a frog.

I hope that I could explain it ok.

10. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Apr 12, 2008

I made one about choices that I use at the start of the year. I give a scenario on the first page with two options about what you could do. They choose an option and we go to that page and it tells them if they made a good choice, or a not so good one. I use it at the start of every year to review good classroom rules and manners.