Big Book Display, carpet...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Tambra44, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Tambra44

Tambra44 Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

This is my second year and I still don't have a big book holder, cubbies, a computer desk...etc. I am trying to find woodworking plans to make a big book display that stores the books in the back (like in lakeshore magazine) and cubbies for my kiddos. Anyone know if there is such a thing?

Also, Anyone know where I can find a triangle shaped carpet for read aloud area?

This stuff is SO expensive...

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

Do you teach in a public school district? Many times the larger districts have surplus centers or warehouses where you can find all sorts of fun storage units and carpets. You might want to check out that option before shelling out your own money.

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2007

You might be able to get a carpet "donation" from a carpet store; if they have a large enough "left-over" piece you could cut it into a triangle. Of course, it wouldn't have colors and numbers on it, but it would work until you could get a different one!

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jul 27, 2007

I furnished my first K classroom by going to yard sales and the Flea Market. I didn't buy a large carpet but found bound carpet squares for next to nothing at the Flea market. The kids sat on these during our morning meetings. I could spread them so that the kids had their own personal space.

6. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I have found lots of different items from garage sales and local advertisements such as craigslist. It seems like Summer is a great time to find deals on teaching STUFF! I guess everyone who is changing grades, etc. uses summer as their inventory reduction time. As for the big book display we had one that had been made for our classroom prior to my coming to that school. My personal opinion is that if you can afford it it's worth the investment to get the one from Lakeshore. The only reason I suggest it ionly because by the time you buy the materials and put the effort into making it to hold up to the use you are looking at spending close to what the one at Lake shore cost. At least that was what we had figured out when we were needing to replace our homemade ones after only 3 years of use. So far the Lakeshore ones have held up 100% better than the homemade ones. But that could have just been our school and what we built. As for cubbies, I always used the stackable files, one for each student. It held their papers and their school-to-home folder. Most students stopped bringing their backpacks because there was just nowhere to put them. (The ones that did bring them were stacked in a laundry basket.) Hope this helps.

7. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I would ask around. Some of your parent may be able to pitch in and help. You never know you might have a dad thats a carpentar and be able to build a unit to your liking. As far as a carpet goes..look in the home section of walmarts and target. They are bound to have some area rugs that are reasonable and you night be able to find them in a decent design or color. Good Luck.

8. Tambra44

Tambra44 Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

Thanks!

I do teach in a public school. I was told that the district does not have a warehouse... ?? I think I have figured out how to create cubbies using shelving units I already have. As for the carpet, I'm still looking and asking. Last year I did use the sample carpet squares but I only had 6 students last year. I just thought it would be easier with a big one if I could find one. Thanks for the info about the big book holder. I think I may just let tha be my splurge item this year... I just need to figure out how to tell my husband! :)

9. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 30, 2007

A good option for reading area carpets is to checks with "rolls and remnants" stores. We have several in my area, and they often have $1 pieces for the smaller ones.

Also, Home Depot (and probably Lowe's too) sells area rugs (9x12, I think) for about $20-$25. That's what I use in my living room...it wouldn't be big enough for a whole group carpet, but I'm pretty sure they have bigger ones too.