Big Bad News

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JamieB11, Jul 25, 2012.

1. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 25, 2012

I am so incredibly sad right now!!

So, last week, I had 3 phone interviews in one day. They were for a division in VA where I had visited and really liked. I live in PA. Anyway, all 3 of them went very well... I especially loved talking to the first principal, I thought her school sounded wonderful, the perfect fit for me. I was so excited. The day ended with me on a high... I was proud of myself for doing so well on the interviews. So they told me that the process was, they needed to make a decision by the end of the week (it was Thurs), they would send their reccommendations to HR, and then HR would call and offer positons to whichever schools wanted me (if any). So I got a call from HR telling me that 2 of the 3 principals wanted me!!!!! I was getting an offer..... BUT then they asked about my certification.
    I have my PA cert. I was told by several people in other states that since I was applying in many states, that I could just apply with my PA cert, and then once I got hired, I could get that state's cert and testing done. So, that is what I did. Since I was applying in 5 other states besides PA, I wasnt going to get 5 certs and take all their tests since I didnt know where I would end up getting a job. Ya know?

But since these 3 schools are all Title 1 schools, I had to have my VA cert and testing done BEFORE I could be hired. I told them that I would do it right away, but they said that it had to be done before being hired. So, they can't hire me.

I am so upset right now. :(

3. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 25, 2012

that's awful. i'm so sorry to hear that. can you contact the virgina dept of education and see if anything can be done? can you ask the school if anything could be worked out...maybe you could perm sub for a year while you work on it? :-\

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

Well I would also contact the Dept. of Ed and maybe even the principals you spoke with to see if there is anything that can be done.

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 25, 2012

I'm so sorry! I agree, call the dept Ed. stat. Maybe there is something that they can do? :(. I'm so sorry.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 25, 2012

I really hope something can be done. Don't give up without a fight! I'm sorry you have to go through this, though.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 25, 2012

This really stinks, but try to understand where the schools are coming from: school will be starting relatively soon and it could take months before you get pass all the tests and have it done. I think it's dumb-- I highly doubt that I would have much issue teaching science from NJ to another state and I wish that we could have one set of tests to get one license for all the states. Still the schools need to hire someone right now and I'm sure they had quite a few applicants for the position.

Since you received such great feedback, I would still send a thank you to HR and to each of the principals for considering you for a position. And I would still work towards that license-- since you have a good reputation with the schools there, that will be a big help for when you do become a licensed teacher in that state.

Keep your chin up-- you apparently have great skills and schools want you, you just have to deal with the testing and paperwork now.

8. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jul 25, 2012

9. msvateach

msvateach Rookie

Jul 25, 2012

I was in your position two years ago. I had my license in another state and did not get it in time for a job. You will need to take the VRA and VCLA tests before you can apply for a VA license. So start researching the dates and places that do the test.

Good Luck!

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2012

:hugs: I'm so sorry :(

11. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 25, 2012

HUGS to you! If your heart is set on an area, I would try to see about getting licensed in that state. Maybe they can give a provisional license for now, since you are licensed in another state - not sure what other states do :(

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2012

How long have you been teaching?? I saw this in the link from msleep.

D. Individuals who hold a valid out-of-state license (full credential without deficiencies) and who have completed a minimum of three years of full-time, successful teaching experience in a public or accredited nonpublic school 7-19-2012 (kindergarten through grade 12) in a state other than Virginia are exempted from the professional teacher’s assessment requirements.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2012

:hugs: I am so sorry.

14. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 25, 2012

Thank you everyone. There really is nothing that the Dept of ed can do at this point apparently... I was on hold forever and then finally talked to someone. She said that is just the way it works in title 1 schools. So frustrating. Many tears have been shed over this :(

Leigh.. I have only had long term sub positions thus far, no full time experience unfortunately.

I had an interview today for a school right near my house, and one tomorrow for a school about 40 mins away so hopefully something comes from those.

15. bet3

bet3 Companion

Jul 25, 2012

Good luck!

16. smalltowngal

Jul 25, 2012

Best of luck on the upcoming interviews, Jamie!

17. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2012

So sorry to hear this! :( I can't imagine being in this position...

For what it's worth, I went the route of getting certified in multiple states, and while it was a bit pricey, I think it was worth it because more schools were willing to look at me. (Plus, I'd be all set and ready to go for the school year...no last minute testing and waiting for my certificate in time for the start of school.) If you can look at the different requirements for each state and find states that have in common (such as needing the same Praxis tests), that can save a little bit of money. It seems ridiculous to get certified in several states, I know, but if you can swing the money, I think it definitely helps.

Hugs to you...I hope something else comes up for you really soon!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

Jamie, if you're good enough to snag jobs THERE, then you're good enough to snag one near home. Go in there today with the exact same energy and enthusiasm you showed at the other interview, and get that job!!

Good luck!!

19. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012

I'm sorry to hear about the VA jobs.

GOOD LUCK with the two interviews you have coming up!

20. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

I'm so sorry. That's hard to here. This district definitely likes you! It might be worth getting the certification if they have any other jobs open up.

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

:hugs: I would probably go for the certification if you know you'd be happy there. Keep looking...I'm sure one of the jobs close to home will love you too!!!

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

:( How frustrating!

I don't know if this has been mentioned on here before, but wouldn't it make more sense if schools offered some sort of national credential where you can teach in any state? I guess the only tricky part would be the history one, but then again, shouldn't you have the knowledge of each states history anyways? But in this economy, many teachers are forced to look outside of their state for a job.

23. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

I never had to prove my knowledge of my own state's history to receive certification to teach History. Isn't that what we have the teacher's edition for? (kidding)

I agree, it would be amazing to have a nationwide license. Not sure if this is what the National Board Certification is for though.

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

I am so sorry to hear that. How disappointing.

25. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

I am so sorry. However, it seems like you are a very competitive candidate to be getting so many interviews. I feel sure that you're going to get something soon!

26. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 26, 2012

So sorry to hear the news. Maybe something else will turn up for you.

27. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

I wonder if this will be more of a possibility once the Common Core is up and running strong.

28. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2012

That's why I've been working on Narional Board certification-it will help me easily transfer my certification to most states. With my husband being in the military, it gets really frustrating always having to try to get new certification.

29. ayla

ayla Companion

Jul 26, 2012

There used to be a certification that you could get for DE, MD, VA, and DC (and at one point might have included PA) for having a high GPA and getting ROE on your praxis. They discontinued the program before I graduated, not sure why. Bummed me out :(

VA is really a stickler for certification with its VRE and VCLA tests, and they're not even using the common core anyways. So VA probably wouldn't even qualify for such a "national" certification if it involved the common core.

30. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 27, 2012

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the kind words. I'm still really bummed about it, but I am hoping that something else works out. I really don't know.

Also, a National Certification that's good in all states would be amazing. I dont understand why they don't have it.

31. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 27, 2012

Maybe the common core states will look into this sort of thing. Would make sense!

32. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 31, 2012

I got a call today from yet ANOTHER principal in that same division in VA for an interview!! That is 4 now, all from the same school division. Weird.

I called back but got the secretary. I told her the whole situation about me having my PA cert. She said she was going to fill the pricipal in and then call me back...

33. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 31, 2012

Awesome!!!! I hope they work out the cert. issue. Good luck!

34. smalltowngal

Jul 31, 2012

Jamie~are you working on getting your VA certification? I would definitely start since schools from there seem to want you!

35. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 31, 2012

That's awesome! I hope you can get that certification worked out and start teaching this year!

36. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 1, 2012

Of course, same as the other schools... it's a Title 1 school, and they can't hired me due to certification. I didn't even end up having the interview. :(

37. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

I'm sorry. Keep your head up. I'm feeling just like you...discouraged...but there are a few weeks left and something good might happen.

Keep looking and applying. Districts are beginning to feel the pressure and will be desperate to fill those remaining slots with a great teacher like YOU!

38. smalltowngal

Aug 1, 2012

:hugs:

39. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 1, 2012

Thank you, girls! It is so nice to come here and get the support I need!

40. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 1, 2012

That's just so frustrating! I'm so sorry! VA must really be a stickler..my friend just got hired in CO with her CA certification not even complete. They hired her before taking the Praxis (CA has their own test, so we don't take the Praxis.) I guess CO is much more lenient. I think CA would probably be just like VA right now. It's just so frustrating - all the hoops you have to jump through! And also, I don't understand why they acted like your certification was such a surprise - didn't they read your resume??

But I agree with all the previous posters - you obviously give a PHENOMENAL interview - so you'll be able to go out there and wow those interview committees in your home state!! :) Best of luck to you!! :)

41. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Aug 1, 2012

National Board Certification helped me receive a license in TX and CA without taking any state tests. It only works in my subject area though, Early Childhood. I was able to certify in any subject area after receiving my initial license.