Bids for Job?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by teacherkasey, Dec 7, 2002.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 7, 2002

I am currently working in the Kindergarten class of a private school. Next year I want to be in the public school system. I work in Providnce, Rhode Island and someone told me that in order to be considered for a job here you have to put in a bid and go through an "auction" process (or something like that!). I have never heard of something like this. Has anyone else? What exactly is the process? Please help me clear this up so I can begin looking for a new job ASAP!!! Thanks so much...

Kasey:confused:

3. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Dec 7, 2002

RI teaching

Dear teachercasey,
    I live nearby in New Bedford, MA and teach in Fall River. My good friend is a high school French teacher in Newport. She was mentioning something about having had to bid for openings and going for interviews to locate positions. In New Bedford, and most MA public schools, the teachers with seniority are given first choice of bidding on open positions. They are then selected by the principal & a commitee. The next ranking teachers then bid and so on, down the line. This generally leaves the least desirable positions and schools for the teachers with no seniority. Not great for the kids who need experienced teachers. I tried to locate a position in the public school system two years ago, figuring the retirements would open up positions. Then, I ran into the road block of not being known by any principals of the 43 elementary schools because I've been in the Catholic School system for 9 years. The principals frequently hire people with inside recommendations. That speaks volumes. Good luck. I believe you'll have to collect applications from each school district you think you can commute to, then fill them all out with recommendations and references plus many districts ask for essays.
    Then mail them out and wait for phone calls for interviews. Bugging the school can sometimes be proactive. The applications are only good for that year & you'll have to do it again next school year. :) maxine