Bible Distribution in Public Elementary School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ESL_Teacher_CH, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2018

This reminds me that when I was in college, we used to grab the little bibles from the Gideons to use in our Koine Greek classes. They were pretty accurate in translation, more so than many other versions, so they helped us check our work before class. My professor recommended using them for that. They were a handy tool!

2. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2018

3. Belch

Belch Companion

Feb 27, 2018

I'm not really interested in SCOTUS. It's a politically motivated and elected group of people who vote one way or the other based upon their ideology, and it usually has nothing to do with what the constitution says.

I'm sure lawyers would find it interesting due to stare decisis, but that's not something that I find particularly compelling.

4. Belch

Belch Companion

Feb 27, 2018

Am I now being asked what truth is?

This has been the domain of philosophers for a long time, and I'm pretty sure you know the Socratic answer to your question.

As I wrote, it's something of a dilemma for me since I really can't say one way or another what is true, but I do try and stick with the basic fundamental of consistency. Whether a particular religion agrees with that or not is of little import.

Anyway, I'm finished with this particular discussion. I found it interesting because if we refuse to define "religion", we are left with the question of what exactly should be introduced to students, and how we as teachers decide to answer that question.

Your question mirrors my own.

stephenpe likes this.
  5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Feb 27, 2018

In scrolling through the discussions on my phone, I'm fearful that my finger might have bumped the report button. I wrote a note to a moderator concerning this possible error. Truth be told, I'm appreciative of everyone's honest opinions and insight in this and the many other discussions on this forum.

stephenpe likes this.
  6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 28, 2018

SCOTUS is not elected. Please refer to the US Constitution.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  7. Belch

Belch Companion

Feb 28, 2018

Yes, they are nominated by the President, then that nomination is voted upon by the senate, which can them confirm the nomination.

Not an election? Well... neither is the President, either, since he is confirmed by the electoral college which votes (still not an election in your eyes, I'm guessing) to see who will become the next President.

Is this distinction truly necessary? I don't think so.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 28, 2018

He who practices Humpty Dumpty semantics is likely to end up with egg on his face.

Caesar753 and Obadiah like this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2018

I couldn't choose just one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3Sons and SpecialPreskoo like this.