Bible Distribution in Public Elementary School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ESL_Teacher_CH, Feb 17, 2018.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 26, 2018

No doubt there would be parents up in arms about that and there would be a quick policy change.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  2. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 26, 2018

Oh, I'm sure there would be some parents mad and policies changed.

3. Belch

Belch Companion

Feb 26, 2018

Sans an argument for your position here, I can only plead ignorance of what you are attempting to say.

4. Belch

Belch Companion

Feb 26, 2018

The whole idea of freedom of thought harkens back to the age of enlightenment, and that whole brouhaha regarding freedom of thought and expression, which had been made illegal in Europe, which explains why so many protestants left Europe for the new world.

As to your rebuttal, there is nothing unconstitutional about national bible week resolutions because Congress is not allowed to say that this is religious. You can call it national nothing day, and it's the same thing.

The idea behind this whole separation of church and state comes from the state using the powers invested in to mandate that certain ideas are illegal. This can also be found in the first amendment which echoes that same regard.

The idea that our beliefs should not be illegal is fundamental to understanding the American constitution.

If we can agree that our very thoughts should be free, then your entire argument breaks down. If we can't, then your constitution breaks down.

5. Belch

Belch Companion

Feb 26, 2018

I'm of the opinion that religion really shouldn't be taught in schools unless it is true. We should be limited to disseminating truth.

Emotionally, yeah... I know that first graders aren't adults, so we need to be careful with what we teach. So do we teach the truth, or do we teach a redacted version of the truth?

It's a vastly interesting subject to me, which goes way beyond whether people should be allowed to pass out bibles in the hallways. For that, yeah, I'm totally against that. But why would I be against that?

I know in my heart why not, but I can't figure out a way to accomodate that belief with my belief that I'm not a knowitall. Maybe those guys passing out literature in the hallways are correct, and I'm wrong. Should I let my students decide for themselves? That's the way I lean, but....

6. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 27, 2018

I personally would prefer there be no religious teaching or material distribution in schools , no matter the religion. The job and responsibility to teach about religion and whatever faith you have should come from the family, not school.

Backroads and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2018

I think that a scholarly approach to learning about religions is appropriate for school. When it comes to proselytizing or evangelizing, I agree that a public school is not the appropriate place for that.

Obadiah, Peregrin5, Backroads and 2 others like this.
  8. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 27, 2018

Oh yes, I fully agree. An informational class about different World Religions can be very beneficial, if it can be done in such a way that it is not promoting one over the other, but an overview of beliefs.

What I mean by no religious teaching is not teaching a child how to practice their religion (i.e a Christian student shouldn't attend classes on how to properly evangelize, study their Bible or how to pray and likewise a Muslim student shouldn't attend a class where they are taught how to do xyz.) The only exception would be if the classes were separated and optional and taught by an outside person. Maybe a pastor could get permission to come teach a Bible study class and a Muslim leader could get permission to come teach a Quaran' study class, etc.

Obadiah, Backroads and catnfiddle like this.
  9. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Feb 27, 2018

Oh please tell me what the true religion is so I can teach it.

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 27, 2018

Southern Belle from the Bible Belt. Together forever? Only time will tell.

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2018

I watched the Gideons for years pass out the little new testaments at our school. My neighbor was on of those guys. Kids like to get those little green books. Then they were gone. In the trash on the benches where ever the left them. It was usually when they were leaving for the day. We have a bible club after school in the lunchroom. Kids go for snacks. The older woman that has led it for dozens of years is a sweet heart. I taught her daughter and grandson. I never really thought of this as illegal or bad. God or Allah or Budha or Rasta in the schools may be better than all the guns and weapons.............

readingrules12, Obadiah and Backroads like this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 27, 2018

I personally would love for a faith leader to come and speak on their religion--not in conversation sort of way, but, you know, the culture and history and what not.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 27, 2018

What? Unless it is true? Who is the arbiter of that? There are many paths to God and judgment is not ours.

14. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2018

The bible club is legal, provided the school allows similar clubs (a Koran club, for example, or a GSA).

15. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Feb 27, 2018

I can’t help but think of the the handmaids tale when I see/hear the word Gideons.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    catnfiddle likes this.