BEYOND Furious. Helpless. Miserable.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2008

I posted this in three tech support forums... and still no solution after two days. (Now I can't even see the whole A-Z website... I'm not on my computer, obviously.)

If you've had this problem, if you know about this problem, if you have a possible solution, please help me-

I have checked out several forums on the Internet about this problem, but don't seem to get the help I need to solve it.

I cannot view websites like-
    -http://msjasztalsfourthgrade. site. shutterfly. com (Web album for my classroom) (Tells me the website doesn't exist and gives me a list of alternative websites to visit)
    -Every once in a while, but not every time- http://www. hotmail. com to access my webmail
    -Walgreens. com photo upload section (Gives me a blank page- http://photo. walgreens. com) THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM.

-http://www. sitemeter. com/?a=stats&s=s16msjasztal (This is a site tracker for my classroom website; tells me the website doesn't exist)

These websites work on the other computer in the house, so I know it's my computer. I especially have come to realize that other people have had this problem. It happened suddenly a few days ago- though I have made some positive changes to my computer in the past day also where I cleared history, cookies, and temporary internet files as well as cleaned up some folders (things like photo folders) in My Documents. To my knowledge, nothing changed with the security of my computer, though I presume that is what could have happened. I honestly don't want to go back to that time and date, as I don't want to undo the good things I have done to my computer since.

I am at wit's end with this. I have IE7 and Windows XP. I have been into the Tools menu several times trying to follow the instructions of others to solve this problem. I looked at my settings for websites and have checked SSL/TLS. (I also read somewhere to UNcheck TLS, so I did that at one time, also.) (For the record, I don't even know what those are, so I don't even know what I am checking and unchecking.

)

I read in several forums that this problem can be fixed. I just have no idea where to begin troubleshooting this issue. I did not update my Windows Explorer lately and have had no problems previously with IE7. I have had it since December 2006. So for a year and a half, I have been using the same web browser.

Should I update my web browser? Should I go back into the tools folder to fix something in there? Is there an update I need to install to fix this issue? Remember it is not all websites, but just secure ones.

Apparently my mom had this problem when she updated from IE6 to IE7. However, I didn't do this... I already had IE7.

3. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I'm not a technician by any stretch of the imagination but have you checked your system for viruses? f you have anti-virus software, run a virus scan. Your system might be infected.

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

Ditto
    May I suggest Kim Komando, if you can get to her web site, she has loads help pages
    http://www.komando.com/

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

I wish you luck. I'm a Mac person, so PCs are not my thing. It's soooo frustrating when computers break :(

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

I use Firefox as my browser - you might try that.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 14, 2008

I'm no expert whatsoever either, but I definitely would have called my internet service provider & talked to someone in the tech dept to walk you through what to do. I don't know about your ISP, but mine will send out someone to take a look at it & fix it if no help over the phone will work. Someone had to come out to my house a couple days ago because 1 of my 3 home computers wouldn't get onto the internet at all. For my situation, the guy burned a CD of Moxila Firefox from one of my other computers & transferred it onto the problem computer & he said never to click on my Internet Explorer icon anymore on that particular computer. He said to always click the Firefox icon. (I was not charged a fee at all for this repair service).

If your ISP can't help, call the tech dept of your computer brand (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) (You shouldn't have to pay here either).

If both of the above fail, I guess you'll have to find your own computer repair person. As you probably know, the store Best Buy has their repair people that make house calls called The Geek Squad. (This method, I'm sure you'll have to pay something).

I know all too well how frustrating it is when computers don't work right! Good luck! :)

8. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

My dd did something to hubby's laptop so no sound would play...I never did figure it out. I ended up going back and resetting the computer to a week before when the problem began. It's in the help area....don't ask me how I did it, I stumbled on it.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2008

Have you downloaded files from the web lately? One of the files I downloaded apparently had a virus and caused multiple problems. I kept getting error messages and always clicked to report them. I deleted my suspect download (a game) and after many, many error messages had been send to windows, somehow the problem was solved.

10. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

Have you tried uninstalling IE7, clearing and deleting all IE7 files, then re-installing it? Sometimes that will fix a problem.

And, I just have to ask - my husband is a tech guy and this is the first thing always he does when there's a problem - have you tried re-booting the computer? Sometimes that's all it takes. :)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2008

I was going to say that, Erin Elizabeth, but I thought I'd sound ignorant! Same thing with modem - try unplugging, wait a minute, then plug back in.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 14, 2008

Just to add another possibility, have scanned your computer lately for spyware? I use AdAware (it was a free download). Also, if you can pinpoint when this started, try a system restore to a previous safe point.
    Good luck!!

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Before you do anything else, get rid of IE and start using Firefox. IE is the WORST THING you could have on your computer!

Then download CCleaner and run it twice daily for a couple of weeks, after which you can run it once a week.

Then download Avast; it's the best antivirus program I've ever used.

You might also check to see if a child or "anyone else" might have accidentally activated a "block" on these websites.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2008

I have sent my computer to a friend of my mom who is a Microsoft certified computer technician. I am starting to feel a little bit better... so I'll update with it in a few days.

(I'm typing on the other computer in the house and have a time limit because my mom is a genealogist. I feel like I've reverted to childhood once again, lol... :) )