BEYOND FRUSTRATED

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Bored of Ed, May 20, 2008.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 20, 2008

<moan>

So, in my college we have to find our own student teaching placements. :help: However, there are a few pretty strict requirements about it (has to be certain type of school, class, etc) For starters, I just need to do field experience this semester -- just watching and being an extra pair of hands. No actual student teaching or anything complicated.

First of all, there's all this red tape to get through: We can't give you the forms until you register. You can't get into the program without the forms. You can't get a placement until you're in the program... So all that junk took MONTHS to arrange (I registered for the course in February) because the student teaching coordinator is _____ (insert appropriate adjective).

Next (April): Most of the schools in my area don't meet the requirements of my school (which, by the way, appear to be unprecedented. No one anywhere was able to help me figure this out because they'd never heard of these requirements). I finally figure out who meets the requirements and begin my search for a placement. One has no openings. One has an exclusive deal with a bigger college. One doesn't have the kind of class I need. One is more than willing to take me on but they don't meet the requirements after all. Don't call us, we'll call you. Call back after spring break. Call back between 2 and 2:10 PM. Come down to the office and wait there for five hours until the principal has to go home. Why isn't your student teaching coordinater placing you?

Finally, spring break is over and I'm back with a vengeance. Now I'm hearing "We're wrapping up the year already, try back in September." I said, "Wrapping up? When does your year end?" ... June 26. Oh-kay.... why are they wrapping up more than a month before school ends?! And why can't I just WATCH a classroom while they do this wrapping up?!

I've already resigned to the fact that it is no longer feasible for me to complete all my observation hours this semester as I was supposed to. But I was hoping to at least be able to have SOMETHING to show for all my efforts, then they'd probably let me finish the rest next semester. Now I'm totally discouraged; I only have one school left where I haven't gotten through to the right person yet, and I'm so sure they'll say the same thing... after all, mid-May IS a wierd time to look for a placement.

:help:WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW?!?!?!:help:

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 20, 2008

What a mess. Shame on your school. What kind of requirements did they have that made it impossible to get in to observe??? Do you have an advisor you can call, or maybe call the head of the department? You paid for this class. I'd try to raise holy h___ until they find a solution for you.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 20, 2008

BTW I hope it all evens out. Good luck and keep us posted

5. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 20, 2008

I hope it all works out for you. Can you try a private school? They may be more willing to help.

Also, I sent you a PM, regarding what school. (I'm in a distance learning program and approaching my observation times.)

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

That's awful that your college doesn't offer any assistance in finding student teaching placements; they should be willing to find something for you. Maybe if your college understands how hard it has been for you to find something they'll ease the requirements a little so that you have more options for schools.

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 20, 2008

In short, the requirements:
    1. Must be public school.
    2. Must be high-needs, as defined by some statistic that no one other than the student teaching coordinator has heard of. ("No one" includes the schools I tried, the city and state departments of education, 311, and the world wide web, to name a few). While the student teaching coordinator does have her list available, it is out of date and does not include some schools that are almost certainly high needs. (the one that was willing to take me on is in a poverty district, full of ESL/ELL kids, and has several classes worth of special ed students.Not on the list.)

:(

8. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 20, 2008

Just to get this straight- there's a coordinator who doesn't coordinate?
    :confused:

I'm sorry to hear about that. So even though you're just observing, it all has to be in one classroom? How many hours do you have to do? That's a shame about wrapping up the year. They do probably have feel trips, award ceremonies, testing, and other things interrupting their schedule... although it wouldn't necessarily be so bad for you to observe some of those times either. I hope it all works out for you!