Between a rock and a hard place

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newbie23, Jun 16, 2011.

1. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 16, 2011

For those of you who have not followed my journey, I currently teach 2 hours from "home." I've been seeking positions closer to my family and friends for the past few months. I've had some promising interviews but no offers.

I saw a posting for 3rd grade (my current grade) on the website of the district I attended. It's not my ideal district but if location is really one of my top priorities, it certainly fits the bill and I think I would do well there.

I filled out the application and mailed in my packet in January. I dropped off a letter of intent, resume, and brochure last week to the district offices but didn't get to meet anyone. For a week, I heard nothing so I emailed the contact for the position. Nothing.

Today, I got a phonecall (missed it) and voicemail from the P to initiate an interview. Interviews are available Tuesday from 10-1 (which makes me think a.) they aren't interviewing many, or b.) I was lower on the call list and that's all that is available). The P was the Asst. P during my ST and I've done a screening interview with him for this district before but he didn't reference anything on the phonecall regarding this.

Here's the problem. I work in a call center in the summers. This has been my summer job for 7 years now and they are very flexible with my schedule. I was supposed to start this week but due to a slow background check process, I'm set to start next Monday. If I would have started this past week, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for the time off but I feel funny doing so on my second day. I know that the key is, this is a SUMMER position and the interview is for my career but then I also look at it from the angle of, this summer position could hold contacts for future employment (still in education but outside of teaching) and affects me financially while this interview holds merely the POSSIBILITY of impacting my career.

I've emailed my HR contact for my summer job (email seems to be the quickest way to garner a response) with this dilemma and asked if I could take time for the interview or if I should delay my start date. I'm going to the interview but I hate to have that cloud hanging over me.

Part of me thinks that with this district, you have to know someone. I went to school there but the admin has changed dramatically. When I look at the staff directory, I see 6 members of the same family, several people I went to school with, and wives or children of admins. I don't like that. Even if I "knew" someone and had an easy in, I don't think I'd want to take it. Of course, I also think that the odds are stacked against me for this interview because 1.) I've interviewed with this P before for a screening interview and didn't hear anything after that and 2.) I don't have a connection inside. Oh well, I'll put my best foot forward and show them what a great asset I'd be to their district. Afterall, I have the advantage of knowing the district and area very well and I have experience teaching the same grade.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2011

If I were in your position, I'd find a way to make it to the interview.

4. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 16, 2011

I am in the same situation as you ----I would try to make the interview--

have u signed your contract for your current district yet?

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2011

Go to the interview...can you possibly come to work late? That's what I would go for.

6. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 16, 2011

Oh, I'm definitely going to the interview. No question. I called the P on his cell and requested the 10:00 am time. This way I can go to work for a half-day in the afternoon. I haven't heard back from the P so I think I'll try calling the school again tomorrow.

I haven't signed the contract for my current district. It has actually been sitting in my desk drawer for two months. I think it is due at the end of the month but in Ohio you can break a contract up through July w/o any consequence for your license. After that, it's up to the district to pursue any action against you (having your license put on probation, etc., financial ramifications, etc.) My current district is VERY understanding when people leave over the summer. My old P said they had experienced people leaving the week before school starts or after the start of the school year so they're happy when they have more notice even if it passes the July date.

I've been looking at the school's website and like what I see. There are some similarities between this school and my ST experience that I will try to highlight. They also will be implementing Daily 5 and CAFE in all classrooms. I just read the Daily 5 a few months ago but don't know anything about CAFE. Our library doesn't have that book but I'll be researching it on the internet this weekend. The district has also just started using the same math program (different edition) that my current school has which I really like.

7. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 17, 2011

I called the school office today and left a message. When the P called back he said my name sounded familiar and that he remembered my from my ST. He also mentioned that he had heard about some problems within my current district last year (small town politics) tht he had heard of which isn't surprising. I've heard that on my past two interviews. My former supt. was from a neighboring area to where I'm from.

The district moved the interviews to Friday which will work better with my schedule. I also heard from the HR contact at my summer job. I worried for nothing as they're happy to allow me to make up the time and wish me luck.

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2011

Thats great! A huge weight off of your shoulders! Now show them why htey should hire you on Friday!!! :)

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2011

I'm glad to hear that the situation worked out. Also, it's nice the the P remembers you and it will give you time to look up CAFE.

CAFE is something that ties nicely with the Daily 5, it is the reading skills that can be taught and practiced.

10. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 23, 2011

My interview is tomorrow and I'm a mix of nerves and excitement, probably more so than I normally would be. On one hand, I feel like I have so much more working for me in this interview (knowing the P from my ST, and graduating from the district) but on the other hand it seems like the hiring process in the district is somewhat shady. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Either way, I'm in such a good mood, I'm trying not to worry too much. My kids did very well on their state test and we just got the results back today. I'm hoping to work this into my interview somehow. At my last interview they asked about last year's scores which weren't great but I was so motivated and I tried to convey that I knew they would raise and what I had done to ensure that. This time I have proof

Now to go and lay out my clothes, pack my bag and relax.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2011

Fingers crossed for you!;)

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2011

Good luck, newbie!

13. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 24, 2011

Well the interview is over and what a relief. I haven't been this nervous since my first interview ever. I had a hard time eating breakfast this morning and still don't feel totally myself.

I showed up to the school early (see previous posts about last interview I showed up late to) and there was a sign on the door for the candidates to sit in the office. No one was there to great me which at first seemed awkward but at the same time, I liked that I could look around at the bulletin boards nearby and I think it helped to calm me down. I did speak briefly with a nice exterminator who wished me luck, haha.

The P came in about 5 min. after my appointment which usually bothers me but I was the first appt. of the day so that was fine. He shook my hand and we had a brief chit-chat session. I complimented him on his OAA scores which were posted on a flier on the office desk. He asked how my year had gone and I was able to tell him about how hard we worked to increase our scores (I'm still bursting with pride about those). He seemed impressed and when he led me back to the panel, he introduced my by saying, "This is Newbie23 and she was just telling me how she raised her scores by 20 points." I'm glad he recognized my efforts. It wasn't in a bragging way but more of a mutual respect.

The interview went very well. I met with the P, a 3rd grade teacher, the literacy coach, and a Title 1 teacher. They had great questions and built off my answers. It really felt like a conversation or that cocktail party that AliceACC is always speaking of. It didn't feel like either end was reading off of a script and they took notes on a few of the programs I mentioned I had experience with. They also commented on how much they liked my brochure.

At the end of the interview the P walked me out, shook my hand, and said that I did "really great." The panel is interviewing until 1 today and for a few hours on Monday. I'm not sure how long the interview slots were but I know that mine took 40 minutes. I would imagine that they allowed for an hour because I didn't see any new cars in the parking lot and they didn't seem in a rush to get me out the door. The P hopes to make a final decision early next week and will call all of the applicants one way or another.

I really feel good about this one but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2011

I'm glad it went well and I hope you hear good news soon!

15. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Jun 24, 2011

Fingers crossed!!!

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 24, 2011

sounds like a great interview newbie :) fingers crossed you will hear good news next week!! Keep us posted

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2011

Fingers are crossed here, too!

18. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

I don't think I got the job.

I sent emails on Friday evening as I didn't think my thank you notes would arrive in time for their decision. I emailed everyone on the panel and tried to personalize it. For instance, if someone asked me about a program I mentioned, I found a website with more info and included that, etc. I didn't receive a response and I didn't expect to, at least not before a decision was made.

The P said they had a few interviews today (Friday's interviews were from 10-1). He said he would call everyone one way or another.

Today I received a reply from one of the panelists thanking me for my compliment on their scores, telling me my interview was great and to "take care." I just didn't like the sound of it.

I know I'm probably overreacting. Maybe they haven't made a decision, perhaps she just checked her email on her lunch break, who knows. I just don't feel nearly as confident as I did on Friday.

19. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

If you just sent them Friday evening, I would just be patient for a bit. It's only Monday.

20. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

First, the person that responded to your email has probably been told to reveal nothing to any candidate until the selection process is completed. FYI ~ during interviews a few years ago, I ran into several candidates we had interviewed during the 4H Fair. I was under the direction from my admin to reveal nothing so I pretty much had to snub those people so I didn't reveal anything. When I ran into the person that was hired a few weeks later, the first thing she said to me was, "I was so sure I didn't get the job since you wouldn't even look at me during Fair week." So, long story short, don't read anything into the email . . . .

Is only Monday and I know the P told you they would have a decision by today, things happen especially if school is still in session. So don't give up hope yet . . .

21. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

You're all right, I know.

I assumed they wouldn't be allowed to respond to emails before a decision is made so to receive one really surprised me.

They know I have a summer job so it could be that the P is waiting to call until after normal business hours.

The waiting is the hardest part. (I'm pretty sure that's in a Tom Petty song :) )

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2011

Fingers crossed for you! By the way, w/ your current teaching job that's 2 hrs away, do you drive 4 hrs a day back & forth OR do you live there or stay w/ a friend/relative M-F & come back home on weekends? That's a ton of driving! :dizzy:

23. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

I rent a house in an adjacent town to where I work. I stay there Sunday night through Friday morning. I drive the 2 hours up to my mom's home on Friday evenings and back down on Sunday evenings. She has health problems that somewhat limit what she's able to do and, I just generally enjoy being in the city more than my current living arrangement.

24. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 27, 2011

I am glad you can do that I drive the almost 4 hours every day

25. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 28, 2011

I got the job!

The P called me this morning and when I called him back he said I blew the panel away.

I can attend a staff retreat out of state at the end of the month if I'd like. I just need to contact my current summer job and make sure I can get the days off.

My name is being forwarded to HR for an intake session and I'll be approved at the board meeting in a week.

26. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

Yea for you ~ happy dance, happy dance :woot:

27. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jun 28, 2011

Congrats!!!

28. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 28, 2011

Congrats, Newbie. I remember you speaking about your situation before and I'm happy to hear you will be close to home now!

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 28, 2011

This makes my day. Make sure you're on the 2011-2012 jobs thread!

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

Congratulations!

31. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

YAY!!!! Contragulations!!

32. NYTONJ

NYTONJ Rookie

Jun 28, 2011

Congratulations!!!