Better preparation for the profession

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mbvillanueva91, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 23, 2018

One only has to look at the astronomical cost of attending college, the opulent facilities on college campuses, the relatively high salaries of education professors and the overall poor quality of teacher and administrator preparation programs to know that the cost-benefit ratio is far out of synch! One more reason that I'm considering starting a new thread entitled Hoodwinked!

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 24, 2018

I would like to eventually write a book called Everything I Know I Learned On-the-Job.

Yes, I graduated Summa Cum Laude and successfully passed all my certification exams (included the RICA: Reading Instruction Competence Assessment), but I had no idea how to truly teach kids to read. Being a first year 1st grade teacher was the most difficult yet rewarding year of my entire career. I was learning right alongside my students. Then, I took that entire class and looped with them to 2nd grade. They were my guinea pigs for 2 years in a row.

I don't know if any of my instructors in the teacher credential program were ever elementary classroom teachers. If they had been in the classroom, they definitely never mentioned it.

4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 24, 2018

I think the biggest thing I wish I had known was that there is a such a thing as being over prepared. I guess the thought pattern was ok there's 200 days of school, we're going to do 201 labs. I didn't realize/understand that students are never going to learn and absorb that much material. So I had so much planned that we didn't even get to look at let alone learn and I felt like an utter failure.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 24, 2018

I wish I could like your post more than once! Spot on.

6. futuremathsprof

Jul 24, 2018

Chin up, it happens to the best of us! I bet now you have a better idea of what to expect, so going forward you probably have a better game plan.

Aces likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

Jul 24, 2018

I, for one, would LOVE to read that thread!

8. futuremathsprof

Jul 24, 2018

This!!! You are right on the money.

9. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 24, 2018

I would say that 95% of what I needed to know to be a successful teacher, I learned the first two years of teaching--on my own. Very, very little of what I did in in my teacher preparation program prepared me for the classroom.

I would say that one thing that would be useful is MORE classroom experience and less busy work in the preparation programs. One thing I remember complaining about my first year of teaching is "not knowing how to handles xyz situation." A class built upon likely scenarios a teacher may face in the classroom would be highly beneficial.

I think the reason beginning teachers leave the profession is because they are not adequately trained. Being a beginning teacher, alone in a classroom, and basically training him/herself can be overwhelming to say the least.

mathmagic likes this.
  10. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 24, 2018

I feel like I learned the basics of being a teacher in my undergrad program, such as, writing a lesson plan, reflection, etc. My graduate program was on an internship model so one had to be working in the schools while completing the program. But, truly, the best preparation, for me, has come with time and experience.

bella84 likes this.
  11. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 24, 2018

Oh definitely! Just for me I spent the whole year feeling life an utter failure just because I thought that obviously I was a terrible teacher because I wasn't teaching anything. Now I've trimmed it back to were I try to do a detailed lab every 1-3 weeks. Some only take a week, some like the trebuchet takes 3 full weeks of banging it out.

12. futuremathsprof

Jul 24, 2018

That the right attitude to have! See, you’re a way better teacher than you thought you were.

13. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 24, 2018

No. That's the "I'm not f***** quitting so saddle up and ride ".

14. futuremathsprof

Jul 24, 2018

Hahaha! Right.

15. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 25, 2018

So I will tell you when I joined the Army, I was very very afraid of heights. And you're probably thinking, "Huh? Scared of heights? But weren't you airborne?" Yes, on both counts. But anyways the first time I was at the top of the rappel tower, I was hooked up and everything looking over the edge and I completely froze. Couldn't move. Drill Sergeant on top of the tower is telling me Go ahead, quit. There's only one way down so make my day and quit so I can push you off. Go ahead. Do it. I'm pretty sure I gave him the most "f*** you" grin I could muster, swung out, and rappelled down the wall like it was nothing.