Better chances in the future

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by panjteacher, Sep 6, 2013.

1. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Sep 6, 2013

Just wanted to throw this scenario out there. I am currently (if nothing changes) heading into year two of subbing in three different local "better" school districts which have big populations and often have jobs available (though I never get them, they get around 1000 apps for some elementary jobs) . I got a call to interview next week for a maternity leave position about 45 minutes (lots of traffic) away in a rural, small township which may be considered one of the lesser districts in the state. They rarely have openings and as I said, they are smaller, considered poorer (economically, testing-wise and parent comment-wise) and much less desirable. I like the idea of the maternity position (should start end of Sept or early Oct) but they are hesitant to tell me when it runs until. I would never consider doing the perdiem subbing thing with this district because I could sub in a dozen places closer to home and my kid's childcare facility.
    Now when I consider the monetary issues, three days a week subbing will not cover my kid's childcare for those days but we did this last year and could afford it. The other district would obviously afford me a five day a week job but my kids childcare would go up another 300-400 dollars to cover that time and I have no idea if the teacher will return in November, Dec or Jan or later or not at all.
    I asked a friend who had a similar assignment last year and he was told a week before the teacher was to return that she would be back and he was pretty much out of luck in the district passed that point even though he really bonded with the parents and got nothing but praise from administrators. The principal in the district called him to sub once in a while but he made his bread and butter salary from subbing closer to home more steadily. He didn't get to interview for anything in the summer or for this year and he is back to subbing closer to home.

I am puzzled. What would you do?

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 6, 2013

You need to keep in mind how little your day-to-day subbing experience means, especially in light of your competition (1,000 candidates). You need resume-builders. You need opportunities where you can cite evidence in your experiences in teaching. I can understand the comfort level which you speak of... I sub in one particular school most of the time, and it is VERY EASY for me to continue to do so. I'm familiar, everybody likes me, it's close... But it does nothing (NOTHING) for me in terms of becoming a teacher.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

I think that a long-term subbing job is probably better for your resume than lots of daily jobs. I recommend taking the long-term job if it is offered to you. The reason they can't give you an end date is because the mother probably doesn't know. The length of her maternity leave will likely be based on what type of birth she has and whether she takes additional time through FMLA.

5. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Sep 6, 2013

Thank you both so much. I am hoping the long term job works out,the closer stuff is nice but I don't seem to be making progress.

6. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Sep 6, 2013

I agree with the others, take the LTS. I understand that you like being comfortable and staying close but sometimes you have to make sacrifices ;)

7. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Sep 6, 2013

If it were me, I would take the LTS regardless of it being in a "poorer" school district. It will definitely be a resume booster.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2013

Even if the LTS district doesn't have an opening, you will obtain new references and recommendations plus it looks way better on a resume.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

You've been offered a LTS in either PA or NJ, where jobs are impossible to find.

Better yet, it's for a maternity leave, so the possibility exists-- no matter how slight-- that the new mom could decide to extend her leave for the year.

They won't tell you when it runs out because they don't know. If she has a C section or a preemie, the rules change from the typical 6 weeks.

JUMP at the chance!!!!!

10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 6, 2013

An interview does not guarantee a job, but do your best. A job could open doors for you. You'll get to attend teacher meetings, parent-teacher conferences, and hopefully get some glowing observations.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 6, 2013

Totally off topic but we have an opening that opened up after school started and we have had ZERO applicants. Ugh.

Come to Texas!

12. Goingback

Goingback Rookie

Sep 6, 2013

My maternity leave ended up being 12 years! HA! I did not plan for it either, it just kinda happened. The teacher that was hired in my position still teaches at the same school.

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Sep 7, 2013

Ha, same here, only it was 8 years. The teacher who subbed for me still teaches there in the same grade level. When I was looking for a job and I'd see her, I'd think, she has my job!!! LOL

Filling a leave is a great way to get your foot in and build that resume. When I returned to teaching after being a SAHM, I did two long-term sub jobs. The references I received from those jobs opened doors. I started getting way more calls once I had those in my packet.

I am now in a permanent position at a school I love and a grade level I am enjoying tremendously. And long term subbing got me here!

14. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Sep 8, 2013

Thank you everybody. The interview (just a quick one, I am told) is tomorrow morning. Please say some teaching prayers for me.

As for Texas, I actually consider TX and Fl, this summer but then my wife and I realized it was an impossible move at this time.

15. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

LTS is definitely the way to go, not only as a résumé builder but also as being more likely to open up more opportunities.