Best week of the YEAR with discipline

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Cthdenver, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

I FINALLY GOT TIRED OF TRYING EVERY ALTERNATIVE IDEA ON HOW TO MAKE A CLASSROOM WORK - I DECIDED TO REVERT TO THE TRADITIONAL METHODS
    AND I HAD THE BEST WEEK YET! BELOW IS A PAPER THAT I GAVE TO ALL THE KIDS!
    --------------------------------------
    1. YOU WILL NOT TALK, WHISPER, OR SING
    2. YOU MUST BE SITTING IN YOUR SEAT
    3. YOU WILL BE SITTING STRAIGHT IN YOUR SEAT
    4. WHEN RAISNING YOUR HAND YOU WILL DO SO WITHOUT MAKING A SOUND
    5. YOU WILL DO THE WORK THAT IS BEING DONE IN CLASS
    6. YOU WILL HAVE ALL SUPPLIES IN CLASS
    7. YOU WILL NOT MAKE ANY SOUNDS WHICH CAN DISRUPT THE CLASS
    8. YOU WILL NOT LEAVE THE CLASS WITHOUT PERMISSION

Violating any of the above rules WILL result in the following:

1. FOR THE FIRST VIOLATION YOU WILL GET A WARNING
    2. FOR THE SECOND VIOLATION YOU WILL GET TEN MINUTES OFF RECESS
    3. FOR THE THIRD VIOLATION YOU WILL GET A PINK CARD (WHICH IS A NOTE HOME)
    4. FOR THE FOURTH VIOLATION YOU WILL VISIT THE PRINCIPAL

CONSISTENT VIOLATIONS WILL BE DELT WITH ACCORDINGLY
    =============================================================================
    PLEASE NOTE: THAT FROM NOW ON PAPERS THAT ARE CRUMPLED OR HAVE DRAWINGS ALL OVER THEM MAY NOT BE ACCEPTED. PAPERS THAT HAVE NO NAME ON IT WILL BE THROWN AWAY.

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 21, 2007

You have been trying to figure this out for awhile, so it's good to hear that something worked. Do other teachers use similar methods? Maybe this is what the kids expected, and when you did not do that, they took advantage of you.

Did you end up sending anyone to the office??? Someone will test you soon. You will have to follow through on these rules. That means throwing papers away, keeping in from recess, etc. Be ready, because they will test. Once they are done with the testing, if you are consistent, they will obey the rules.

Make sure to have some fun once in awhile, too!

4. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

Fun we have dont worrry about that - and yes we had our first math test this week - in the middle of test some kid dicides to get up from his seat and go over to another kid and start looking at his paper. You should have seen the horor on his face as I ripped up the test. (after a few minutes I gave him another copy an crossed out the section of the test that he was previously working on!) and yes I had people owe me recess time this week - they werent happy - BUT I was!!! I may sound very mean but I am so happy something if finally working - I have other teachers in the school who have been teaching longer then I have very impressed (since this is my first year of teaching).

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2007

CthDenver, I'm glad that you have found discipline that works well for you...and I'm glad to see that the students are taking it seriously.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2007

Some old school schooling...I like it. :)

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 21, 2007

Cthdenver: I love it! I am using similar methods in the 3rd grade class in which I am student teaching. As long as my cooperating teacher does not override my consequences, things tend to go pretty smoothly, except for one student. This kid (whom I really LIKE) believes that none of the rules pertain to him. He thinks he can talk, play, throw things, make ugly comments, walk around the classroom, bully his classmates, etc. any time he wants! (And no, he is not ADHD or learning disabled -- he manages to keep an A-B average, except for conduct, while doing all of the above and more!) Lately, I cannot discipline him at all, except to ignore him. My cooperating teacher has to do all of his disciplinary stuff because she is afraid that his parents are going to play the "race card," and they can't do that with her, because she is the same race as he! I understand her reasoning there, but (1) I feel like it is making me less effective with the other students, and (2) he is preventing other students from learning! As Bill the Cat says, ACK!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2007

Please tell me you spelled 'dealt' correctly on the kids' copy....and maybe edit: Any paper with no name on it will be thrown away OR Papers with no name on them will be thrown away...

Glad your behavior plan is working- just be sure though that any paper that becomes 'public' should be checked for grammar and spelling (as a parent and teacher I'm a stickler for it!!) I am guilty of misspellings on the forums but on papers I check, check, check before printing/handing out!!

9. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Oct 21, 2007

How are you keeping track of the violations? Name on the board/checkmark type set up? Thanks!

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 21, 2007

Rock on. :) I may use this with some adaptations, considering I am starting Scholar Dollars and I get really strict when I distribute them.

11. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 22, 2007

Ms Jasztal,

Can you explain what "scholar Dollars" are?

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 22, 2007

It's like money that is given for great behavior and taken for behavior that isn't so desirable. The kids are rewarded in checks.

13. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

I dont like taking away once something is given.

14. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

I have a graph list of all the names in the class. -
    I just call out the names - mr. --- you have an X and so on and so forth.

15. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Oct 23, 2007

well, thanks for posting this. i'm having a few issues i need to nip in the bud! here's my list:
    NEW CLASSROOM RULES
    1.NO TALKING, WHISPERING, OR SINGING.
    2.NO SOUNDS WHICH CAN DISRUPT THE CLASS.
    3.RAISE YOUR HAND TO TALK.
    4.GET PERMISSION BEFORE YOU GET OUT OF YOUR SEAT.
    5.DO THE WORK THAT IS BEING DONE IN CLASS.
    6.TURN IN NEAT WORK WITHOUT DOODLES OR WRINKLES. (no name papers will get thrown away)
    7.HAVE ALL SUPPLIES READY FOR CLASS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Failure to follow the rules will result in the following:

1.FIRST CHECK = 2 LAPS.
    2.SECOND CHECK = 5 LAPS.
    3.THIRD CHECK = WALK WHOLE RECESS AND GET A NOTE HOME
    4.FOURTH CHECK = WALK WHOLE RECESS AND GET WRITTEN UP.

of course i don't really like the lap thing, but i'm told we have to be consistent...so i follow in line. anyway, THANKS! :)

LC

16. teachsped2nd

teachsped2nd New Member

Oct 24, 2007

I take a similar approach to discipline. I am a second grade resource center teacher. My students had a teacher last year who is very nice, but not very strong on discipline. The students learned that through wildly misbehaving (i.e. screaming, running around, etc.) the classroom aid would take them for a walk around the school to calm down. This obviously became a goal for some students, two in particular. Anyway, I am very strict, but kind to my students, which they really needed. This structure has helped all but one of the students to really flourish. This student sometimes reacts well to moving his clip up (our behavior management system). On these occasions, he will work put a lot of effort into behaving properly and completing his work, so that he can have his clip moved back down. Other times he kicks his desk, screams, and crumbles up his work. He gets written up when he reacts this way, but this is not really a deterant for him. I am going to start taking away time from "Fun Fridays" as well. Hopefully if he sees other students doing centers in the regular ed class while he sits and does his work (with other students from both classes who have misbehaved) he will realize that the behavior is not ok, and if he acts this way, he will not earn the right to take part in fun activities. Hopefully it will be a good motivator, because he really enjoys the centers.

17. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Oct 24, 2007

It is not mean to expect children to follow the rules. It is what they should do. I am glad to hear your new plan You may be pleasantly surprised how receptive most of your kids are to it. They love it when things are clear and consistent. They thrive and actually feel more comfortable and content when they have set boundaries to follow. Good job!! It will pay off. (Be ready to explain this to the parents that think you are being mean to their angels.)