best way to give a spelling quiz...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by luv2teach415, Sep 19, 2007.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Sep 19, 2007

I want to give my students a spelling quiz on all of our words from this week. What is the best way to test them on this? Should it be a multiple choice quiz where I have like 4 words all spelled a different way and they have the pick the right one? Should i just dictate words and they write it on a piece of looseleaf? I'm just not sure what the best way to go is. Also, I have a few students in ELL so I have to keep them in mind with what type of a quiz i give. Ugh, i just feel like I need help every day...when will I learn all of this stuff.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2007

This is how I do my spelling tests (they get one weekly!):
    I tell them to get out a sheet of paper and number 1 to ## (it's usually 25, but varies from week to week).
    I then begin.
    #1. Say the word. Say a sentence USING the word. Repeat the word.
    #2. Same as above
    And so on.

I DO NOT repeat words. They need to be paying close attention. So, they can't raise their hand at the end and say "What was number 12?" If I start going too fast for them, I tell them to raise their hand then.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 19, 2007

Even in first we dictate the word and have them write it down. Testing them via multiple choice isn't really testing their ability to spell it but to read it correctly. If you have students you need to make modifications for then that is understandable but for most I think open dictation would be most accurate. In 1st grade though, we repeat the word as necessary.

5. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Sep 19, 2007

I do it much the same way as giraffe326. Say the word, sentence, repeat the word. I then wait until all pencils are down on the desk (the students signal that they are done with the word). Then I do the same for the next word.
    I also don't repeat myself.
    Also, this happens a lot:
    Me: rider. The bike rider fell off and broke his leg. rider.
    Student: Is that 'rides'?
    Me: There's only one like it on the list. If you studied your words you'd know which one it was.
    Though I will repeat it once if I feel I should. I tend to slur endings when my nose gets stuffy. Which, in Florida, happens a lot when the weather changes.
    Now, for grading, since I REALLY dislike trying to decipher some of their handwriting, I have them sit on their pencils and use pens to grade their own papers. I take points off if I see a pencil on their desk during this time. (oh ya, I make them use pencils to take the test, no pens). This lets the students see their grade instantly and their errors.
    I trust most of my students enough to grade their own papers. Their are a few that I will still spot check though.

6. joycee

joycee New Member

Sep 19, 2007

I was just looking for a different way to give my spelling pre-test to my students tomorrow, and I came across the idea to play a game of kickball. Each kicker is given a word from the spelling list to spell. If they spell it correctly they may kick, and the game proceeds as normal. If not, then they are out, and the next kicker comes up. Sounds like fun; I'm going to try it tomorrow!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2007

You know what's funny? Our reading program tests students on spelling, but they are in multiple choice form. Because of this, the teachers don't even give oral spelling tests. They only focus on the Multiple choice quiz. I give both. I want my student to know HOW to spell the word and to also identify it.

I give a spelling pretest on Monday.
    They have a spelling tic tac toe activty to complete by Thursday.
    Thursday night their homework is to take the practice spelling test- family member gives them the test.
    Friday is the oral spelling test. IF they get a 100%, then they turn their test into a paper airplane and we go outside. The one who flies it the furthest gets a little prize. This is just an incentive to do well on the test and to study!

8. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 20, 2007

The airplane thing is cute! I like that! :) I'm curious, what is the spelling tic tac toe you do?

For my class I usually do a Editing Spelling Test on Wednesday, so they have to pick out the word that's spelled correctly, and then on Friday they have their oral test. It helps them see what words they might need to look at for Friday, and also helps with editing skills. :)

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2007

tic tac toe is just a grid with 9 different spelling activities that they can choose to do. They have to choose three that will make a tic tac toe line. It's just a fun way for them to study spelling words that changes things up a bit. They have some choice a to what activites they would like to do. I have a copy of the one I've been using for this past month on my site. I plan to make another one tomorrow for next month.
    Just scroll down to where it says Spelling Tic Tac Toe #1.
    http://www.aesd.edu/to/nutting/teacherfilecabinet.htm

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 21, 2007

You know what...I think I'm gonna regularly give the multiple choice quiz during word study. I just have to decide what day to do it. Then they can have the oral test on Friday. This way they can practice reading discrimination and how to take a multiple choice quiz (which we don't do and that is important when it comes to assessment time).

11. kermy

kermy Companion

Sep 23, 2007

I do the oral test as well on Fri. I have them trade papers and grade their test with a pen too. I tell them to write neat because I look over thier test anyway to make sure no mistakes. I'm a stickler on capitalized letters and unidentifable letters. They know I will mark them wrong. Gets them to write neater...hopefully.

12. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

a note i just read this week from a teaching book - never give students time before the test to practice.
    1. You want to teach the kids to study before hand
    2. Gives time to make cheat notes

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 23, 2007

I can see the logic, though cynical, but I think it also depends on the age group (if you subscribe to this line of logic). In first grade we practice before the test by playing Sparkle. At this age, they aren't really independent study students yet. They largely depend on mom and dad to help.

14. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Sep 23, 2007

If your goal of spelling is to help them become better writing by editing their own pieces of writing, you can write a sentence for each work, but spell the word incorrectly (but in a way that is still phonemically correct). They have to circle the incorrect word, and write it the correct way on the line.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 23, 2007

I try to play spelling bingo if we have time during the week. Each kid makes a 4x4 bingo board on his white board. They choose 16 of our 20 words to place wherever they want. We play bingo. If they have a win, they must spell the words in that row. If they have any written wrong, they don't win. The other day we played it with animal crackers instead of bingo chips. They got to eat them at the end.

16. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 23, 2007

i give my 5/6th graders sentences with all of the spelling words in it - spelled incorrectly. They have to rewrite the sentence and put the proper capital letters and punctuation with it. I often include words from past lists.

i wuz afrade to explane to the stoodents that there favrit radeo station was going of the air

5 of the words are spelling words and 3 are "no excuse" words.

I rarely have to write more than three to four sentences.

I never saw the point of list tests. I used to give dictation tests, but decided to try this method this year. So far it working well.

17. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Sep 23, 2007

Let me ask everyone this... How does your state test assess spelling? Do you have to give words orally and have them write them down or are the required to find misspelled words within the context of a sentence or paragraph? I think everyone needs to be thinking ahead.
    I don't give spelling tests any more. I haven't for the past four years. My principal doesn't seem the need for them in the upper grades. I focus more on word studies and this has really helped my students.

18. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 23, 2007

They need to find the misspelled words in both the state and SATs.

I agree that we need to be thinking about that.

19. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

Our fifth grade team tests spelling as follows:
    Monday: Assign spelling homework out of their workbook, due Thurs. We do not do a pre-test on the first day of the week. This gives the kids a chance to look over the words. Our pre-test grades have gone up significantly. Not sure if this is best practices or not, but it fits with our philosophy. :)

Tuesday: Give pretest, orally (say word, sentence, repeat word). If a student gets 100%, they do not have to take the post-test. If a student misses one, they can write the missed word 100 times and get a 100% in the gradebook.
    Homework for Tuesday: Write all misspelled words 5 times each.

Thurs: Grade workbook pages (Sometimes as a center, it can be time-consuming)

Fri: Post-test for kids who need to take it. Orally, just like the pre-test.

Throughout the week, we do mini-lessons on the spelling pattern of the week/root words/etc.

20. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Oct 7, 2007

I like the Thursday-Wednesday approach. They get their new words on Thursday and the test is the next Wednesday. This gives them a full week to study instead of 4 days. I have a sheet where they need to re-write each word, alphabetize them, find the part of speech for each word and then define each word. Then the back page has some kind of activity (short story, sentences, etc.). Then as a 'what can I do when I'm done' bucket, I have cards made with each word on them in print and cursive and a bunch of activities they can do with them. Things like rainbow writing, hangman, 3D words, etc. This has REALLY helped their spelling!

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 7, 2007

I'm not the teacher so I don't really read the tests, but from I noticed while doing modifications in first grade our students are expected to do the following:

Picture cue provided: list of words on the right and they list several different words and the student has to pick the one that matches the picture. (vocabulary)

Picture cue provided: list of similar words and the student has to pick the one that matches the picture. This is tricky if they aren't sure of the correct spelling of a word.

I'm not sure if a picture cue is provided: list of 3-4 misspelled words and 1 right spelling of the same word. The student picks the correct one.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 7, 2007

The only problem I have with spelling not being presented above a certain grade is that my own six grade child has spelling bad enough that it is painful for me to read it. He obviously uses phonetic cues and I can understand it but it litters his paper and it can sometimes be hard to get past that. I can understand not doing a uniform spelling test, but I would like to see the teacher circle words and have the students write them in a personal spelling binder or clip and have them responsible for learning to spell them correctly. An assessment would have to be give to keep them accountable but I'm not sure how to fix the "they don't remember 2 weeks from now" problem. All I know is as a parent I was NOT satisfied with his spelling. I did work with him some at home.

23. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 7, 2007

I have them test one another. I have always done it this way and learned it from my mentor teacher. My kids have always worked in a spelling group or had individual spelling though. It probably wouldn't work if the whole class has the same words.

CutNGlue, PM me and I will give you a copy of my spelling program. I believe you work with hearing impaired students, so don't know if it'll work with them, but may help your son.