Best tools for the classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Tch4th, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Tch4th

Tch4th Rookie

Mar 13, 2006

:) Okay, it's time to submit my order for the things that I would like to have for my classroom next year. I teach 4th grade (hence the user name) and will probably have about 28 students next year. My question is, what classroom tools are your absolute favorites? What could you not live without? And, what are your students' favorite reading books? Thanks in advance!

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 13, 2006

I teach 2nd, and I could absolutely not live without a lined chart tablet. I go through about 4 in a year, and use it for every subject. I also have to have pens, markers (sharpies), pencils, sticky notes (various sizes), construction paper, hand sanitizer, good markers for the white board (I like EXPO), packing tape (I use for various reasons-not on the kids, I promise), stapler, staples, paper clips, digital timer, composition books for each student (they provide), my digital camera.

Books my kids love:
    Magic Tree House series
    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    The Littles series
    The Boxcar Children series
    Junie B. Jones (any of the series)
    Time Warp Trio series
    The Dragon Slayers Academy series
    A to Z series
    Horrible Harry (and related books)
    Calendar Club Series
    Charlie Bone series
    Harry Potter series

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 13, 2006

If your kids like Harry Potter, try them out on Sherwood Smith's Wren series (Wren to the Rescue, Wren's Quest, Wren's War), Diane Duane's Young Wizards series (begins with So You Want to Be a Wizard, set in contemporary suburban New York), or Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small series (begins with First Test, follows the career of a girl who wants to be a knight).

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 13, 2006

Individual white boards for the students, construction paper, math manipulatives.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 13, 2006

***White boards are great and expensive. Go to the lumber yard buy a sheet of smooth white paneling. ---called white tile board…. Our lumber yard cut it up in smaller sizes free. (about 11 by 12 inches) don't remember for sure. Or maybe your high school shop teacher will cut it for you. Next with sand paper sand around the edges just enough to take off the sharp edge. A boys top of a sock ---makes a good eraser. You need a white board, a white board marking pen and sock top for each student. Teacher gives a math problem, spelling word or whatever. When student has an answer they hold up the board. You say correct erase or try again. Our boards get lots of use.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 13, 2006

www.buddyproject.org/backpack/info.asp?id=115 www.kizclub.com Couple more good sites for ideas. List of things to have in your room have you thought of: yard stick, ruler, lots of extra pencils, lots of stickers, whistle so you don’t have to yell at recess, a must --bar stool to rest your feet, great to even lean up against or captain’s chair it has a back, but cost more, rubber bands, safety pins, sewing kit –needle and variety of color spools of thread –a dollar at dollar store in a small plastic box, clear finger nail polish to repair runs in hose, 3 hole punch, single hole punch, stapler, a couple big boxes of Kleenex, paper towels, sticky notes, a bunch of extra pencils, (short pencils with no erasers work great (students don’t want to borrow them and for some reason don’t break their lead and remember to sharpen their pencils before class), magic markers with grey included several boxes, good gel pen for grading papers and writing notes, I like my pink, zip lock bags –large and small, masking tape, scotch tape and heavy dispenser, deodorant, brush or comb for yourself, clear finger nail polish for quick fix hose runs, nail file for broken nails, large paper clip for your use so much better than the small ones, disinfectant (clean desk tops, pencils and door knobs –keep your room as germ free as possible, big scissors to fit your hand, erasers for top of pencils boom box, tape recorder, CD something to play music and etc on. digital timer, Glue: buy one small glue bottle for each student, than when bottle gets used, refill from your big bottle, which is cheaper, buy during beginning of school sales. Little bottles work better with little hands. Glue sticks are best. But cost more. Calendar, camera, dictionary – thesaurus, extension cord and adapter. Slide-grader. Go to garage sales, flea markets, Good Will, Salvation Army and thrift shops and buy books for in your room. If there is a box ask how much for the whole box usually cheaper. Tell them it is for a classroom, usually give you a discount. Buy a stamp pad and stamp “Property of your name” stamp on first page and along the edge if possible and several other places. Need book shelves. Buy used book shelf size of your file cabinet, butt it up against one side of the cabinet and use other side for a magnet board center.
    File folders –one for each student, keep all notes to and from home, note late papers, lose of recess one minute or two because of behavior problems and etc. Information Sheet. Student’s full name. What student will be called in the classroom, address, phone number, father’s name, address, phone number, mother’s name, address, phone number, emergency phone number, allergies, food and etc. And any other information that I might like to know about your child. A can of play dough for each student for the first day. Students go to their desk and start working with the play dough, while you are greeting more students, makes your room busy and under control from the first moment of arrival, no running around. Stamp pad and stamp with your name on it. Mark everything that you buy. Mark books back and along the edge. Library books for your room --get at garage sales, thrift shops, Goodwill and ask parents at parent night when they clean out their children’s rooms you’d love to have their extra books. You will mark donated by: Your room will look more educational with books on the shelves. Here is an excellent web page, you might want to check out for more ideas. http://www.kinderkorner.com/chklist.html

8. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Mar 15, 2006

I would order overhead manipulatives for math. I love the Dear America and My Name is America series of books. I would have my older kids bring colored pencils also. They have eraseable ones now!