Best time to send out resumes over the summer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kmeteach, Jun 19, 2013.

1. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Jun 19, 2013

Hi everyone, haven't had the chance to post in awhile, but I need advice!

I currently work as a TA, but I'm still on the hunt for a teaching job. School ends this week for me. Would the best time to start sending out resumes/cover letters be as early as next week, or is it best to wait until later on in the summer? Does anyone have any advice or experience as to when the best time would be? I live in NY and so far I haven't heard of many jobs opening up just yet.

3. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 19, 2013

As soon as possible! Many times jobs will open up unexpectedly and they need to fill the spot ASAP. You want your resume on their hands already.

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 19, 2013

Just want to add...I mailed out my résumé to my current school when they had no openings posted. I did a mass mailing of resumes in August of last year, and they called me in January for a job that had opened up. You don't need to wait until a job is posted to mail them out.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2013

Now!!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

I started applying back in February- so the sooner, the better!

7. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 19, 2013

ASAP :D

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

Now! :)

9. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 20, 2013

I know the typical answer is, "Now! Always!" but I've done two mass mailings the past few months (one in March, and one after the budget vote in May), and I'm curious about this as well.

As far as timing is concerned, I've always wondered as to when the best time to reach out to principals would be. Is the last week of the school year completely hectic? Or are they scrambling to find positions ASAP?

I haven't even seen many postings for Long Island yet this year at all (not that it would stop me from sending out resumes). Everyone says hiring picks up in the summer, but when? Do administers take a break the week or two after school, then get started again? Is July or August a busier hiring season?

I'm not sure there's a firm answer to this; but I've been curious myself.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2013

It can really vary. Hopefully someone can answer about Long Island for you.
    Where I teach (in NC), hiring happens late. We don't get final budgets until the very end of July.
    Where I am applying (in MI), hiring happens way earlier. It used to be done by April or May. However, as the economy has gotten worse, it has moved to June.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2013

It has been my experience that the last week of school is usually too hectic for the P to worry about interviewing...however, as soon as school is out,hiring goes into full swing.

Many times teachers leave the school without saying anything until summer. So, many more jobs open up after school gets out.

12. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jun 20, 2013

I would say now as well!

If you can, hand deliver them. That's how I got my teaching position for this upcoming year. I didn't even know if they had any positions open I just hand delivered them to 23 schools total. I got to talk to 2 principals on the spot. Out of the 23 schools, I got 4 interviews, and 1 offer which I definitely accepted.

13. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Jun 20, 2013

What you said is pretty much why I asked (since I'm on LI). I usually don't see any change in the number of job postings during the summer months...and whatever's posted publicly has usually already been filled by internal applicants, and the district is just posting them because they're required to.

I also wonder if all districts take the same vacation time. I don't want to send out resumes next week if they're going to end up buried on the bottom of a pile, you know? So I'm still at a loss as to what to do.

Though out of nowhere today, I did get a missed call from a school that I sent my resume to over a year ago, and they want to interview me. I plan on calling back tomorrow and seeing what info I can find out about this position!

14. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 20, 2013

I've had about 99% of my interviews on LI in mid-late August. The others were late July.

15. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Jun 20, 2013

Thanks for that info....so perhaps early-mid July would be best? That would give me time to better prepare my resume/cover letter.

16. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 20, 2013

I'd say get it in before then. Most of my interviews were from resumes that I had mailed prior to any jobs being posted-some I didn't even apply to, they just had my résumé already and pulled it when a job opened up. Others were from good timing-I had dropped off resume the day a job was posted and was called the next day for an interview. I have a feeling that when a job goes up, they don't really have the time to go through the thousands that come through the online posting and will pull from what they already have.

17. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 22, 2013

I heard the best time is in August when the new budgets come in. But you could try now, you never know!