Best Time to Apply

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by nasimi77, Nov 24, 2006.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 24, 2006

I currently teach in a private school. However, I'm hopeful to find a job in a better paying district next year. (public). I've already had a few friends suggest putting in applications now, but I think this is too early don't y'all?:confused: I got my credential in April of this year and applied like crazy, but it seemed to me the districts waited until the last minute to hire. I suppose this is a bit early ;) to even be bringing up this topic, but in the true spirit of being a teacher, I'm just thinking/planning ahead.:)

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2006

Around here Jan/ Feb. is the average time.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 24, 2006

Wow, Jan/Feb....really!? That seems early, but I guess it can't hurt to apply then. Thanks MissFrizz. ;) This means I will have to ask for a letter of rec from my current principal, which is a bit awkward since she'll know I am going to continue looking for a job in public. However, I don't think it will come as too much of a shock.:cool:

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2006

Or you could just be asking for a letter of reference to update your record keeping.... I don't think you shoud worry about it.

6. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 24, 2006

Good point, thanks.

7. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 24, 2006

Keep in mind that the applications are usually only kept for 6 months.

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 24, 2006

True. However, there being a surplus of elementary ed teachers makes timing a bit more key.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 25, 2006

I'm in the same boat. We've got a week off in February (winter vacation) and I plan on asking for my letters of recommendation a few weeks before then so that I can hopefully get my resume packets together and mailed out during my time off.
    I know my principals expect me to apply to the public schools again for next year, but doubt they'll be expecting me to ask for my letters that early!

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 25, 2006

Beth2004: Your plan sounds like a good one. I'd like to try and get out resume packets around Feb/March. I had considered even talking to my principal before we go on Christmas vacation. However, not sure on that one yet. I just know when we get back in the New Year things will get even busier, and our next break isn't until April for Easter, and I know I don't want to wait until then for a letter. Oh well, like my mom always says, "It all comes out in the wash."
    Anyhow Beth, good luck to you and let me know how that goes. ;)

11. plp

plp Rookie

Nov 27, 2006

A question regarding recommendation letters...
    I have some very favorable ones from former professors and cooperating teachers that were written this past summer while I was still student teaching and in school and I included then when I was first applying to teach in New York. But by the time I apply to teach in Michigan they will be several months old. Should I ask for new ones or will the ones from 7 months ago be fine?

I also plan to ask for letters from the Assistant Principal and Principal of my present school but want to wait until it's closer to the time I give notice.

Thanks and good luck to all who are still looking as well!

12. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 27, 2006

I don't think 7 months is too old....most places want a reference that is no older than a year.

13. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 29, 2006

Around here, 3 years and less for a letter is fine --

14. missthompson

missthompson Rookie

Nov 29, 2006

Where are you located Gr8?
    I am also interested in when to apply and how to go about doing it. I am a first year teacher and I want to go to a better paying district. I have already heard through the grapevine that they are cutting the pre-k program here next year. Do I use that as an excuse to move? Should I be up front? I am worried that I will not get a job in another school district and they will pass me over in my current district for a teaching vacancy. What should I do?