Best time for getting onto sub lists?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Artist823, May 19, 2010.

1. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

May 19, 2010

I just got my permit for substitute teaching in California (I'm currently in a teaching credential program too). I wouldn't expect to be subbing until Spring 2011 because I'll be student-teaching during Fall 2010 (I won't have the extra time to sub)...But I'll have my credential by the end of 2010, so it's that weird timing situation.

Anyone know when's the best time for getting onto subbing lists?

Any thoughts are appreciated!! :)

3. waffles

waffles Companion

May 19, 2010

I know there's time after student teaching when you'll be able to sub. If there's any chance you'd want to sub that same semester then you should probably get on either now (if they're willing to put people on the sub list for next year) or early next year.

When I got on I knew I basically wouldn't be able to work for the first 2 weeks since I had to finish a job somewhere else. They had no problem with that.

4. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 19, 2010

Get on the list whenever you can. When I finished student teaching, I submitted applications and went into the HR building to bug people about when I can be hired/added onto the list. Turns out that there was a hiring freeze and NOBODY, even subs that were highly needed, could be hired at that time. It's better to be on the list and not be available, than to not be able to be hired at all.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 19, 2010

Wow, I have no idea about this... in the past, districts just seemed to have continual active listings for subs, and you just sort-of took it for granted. I wish that I would've gotten in in a couple other neighboring districts in hindsight, cuz now: no one seems to advertise hiring of subs. I guess you could contact districts though, and inquire.

6. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

May 19, 2010

get on the list now, at least in my state if you are on the list, you can sub for your host teacher if he/she has to take a personal/sick day. You are going to be there anyways and you could get paid those days, and not have a sub just sitting there all day.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 19, 2010

Definitely get on the list now. Getting on the list and actually getting called are two different things. After I got added to the sub list last year, I went to every school in the district to introduce myself and leave a business card. Most schools already have their preferred subs and you have to make yourself known to them in order to get called.

If you are doing your student teaching in the Fall, wait until you finish, then go to all the schools in your district to introduce yourself and leave a business card (if this is appropriate in your region).

Either way, you can't do any of that if you are NOT on the list, so it's best to get on the list as soon as possible.

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 19, 2010

It depends on when your district has orintation or whatever your area requires of you to be a sub. Our area only has the orintation at certain times. For example if the next one is not until dec. then we do everything we need to do ex:fingerprints,reforances done, tb skin test done etc. So that we are ready to go to orintation when dec rolls around and can then be put on the list! They won't put on the list until all our ducks are in a row.

9. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 19, 2010

Call the districts to see if they are even taking on new subs. With layoffs here in CA many are not because they must add the RIFed teachers to the sub list first. Also, as someone else said, during your student teaching you may be able to cover for your Master Teacher and get paid for it. If you aren't a sub in that district then they will have to call someone to come in and watch you teach the class.

10. Subber

Subber Companion

May 19, 2010

A sub sitting there all day? Can you find a better way to insult the subs?

11. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

May 19, 2010

Wow thanks for all the responses.

I've never subbed, so this is all new to me. And I do know that in California, districts are hiring less subs or hiring the recently fired teachers.

So even if I get on lists, I can technically delay "subbing" until I'm done with student-teaching?? (My schedule for student-teaching in the fall won't give me any extra time to do subbing at other schools.)

Does anyone know if you can still get on sub lists in August? (I'd like to be able to use a reference from my summer job...coming up this summer, hehe.)

12. MissSkippyjonJones

May 19, 2010

You set your availability so if you get put on the list in August but aren't free then due to STing, then you tell the (usually automated) sub system that you are unavailable so it won't call you.

13. MissSkippyjonJones

May 19, 2010

They weren't being rude to subs. When there is a ST in the room teaching the class and a sub is called, the sub generally just hangs out all day because the ST isn't properly credentialed/certified to sub but they are doing their assignment which is to teach the class. When I did my STing a sub was called a few different times and yes, they sat at the back table all day because they needed to be there legally, but not to teach the class.

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 19, 2010

In my area ST's can not sub during their yr as a ST..thus a sub MUST be called you can not leave a ST alone with a class for any reason although I have seen times where an aide that may of been in that room with a special ed child keeping the class which is not allowed normally.

15. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

May 19, 2010

Subs can still definitely help you...if they're willing of course. I'd consider using them as an assistant (I teach art, so I may want them to help pass out materials, etc.).

It doesn't hurt to get to know them either, because you never know if you may see them again.

16. MissSkippyjonJones

May 19, 2010

I totally agree. I would ask them to help me out (esp because I knew it had to be a really boring day to not be teaching!) Also, one of the subs who came in while I was STing turned out later on to be the husband of my BTSA support teacher and he subbed a few times for me in my own classroom!

17. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

May 19, 2010

Woah. It's a small world in education.

18. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 19, 2010

I was lucky enough to get paid for subbing during my ST when my CT needed a day off. My Uni Supervisor told me at the beginning of the year that I could be paid as a sub on days my CT wasn't there (but not within the first two weeks of taking over the class and no more than 5 times total during my ST time). I'm not sure if I was allowed to "sub" because I was already a certified sub or if our state (NC) allows STs to serve as a "sub" if they have been teaching the class for several weeks already.

19. Subber

Subber Companion

May 19, 2010

So the ST teacher would rather elay a day of her ST work? Fine by me.