Best subjects for adjunct/CC instructors

Discussion in 'General Education' started by inspireNteach, Jan 21, 2014.

1. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jan 21, 2014

I am considering getting a master's degree with the specific intent of being an adjunct professor.

What, would you say, is the best subject area to pursue that improves my chances of getting hired? Is a M.A. in English completely out the question? Meaning, are there more of them than there are positions?

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 21, 2014

Ohhhhh yes, definitely out of the question.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 21, 2014

Any college that would hire you with an MA in English would pay you peanuts. If you want to teach English with just a master's, it pretty much has to be an MFA in Creative Writing, or another terminal degree.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 21, 2014

I adjunct for a community college. It pays less than peanuts. I have no idea how adjuncts survive (I teach HS, too).

If you need a salary to survive, adjunct won't pay the bills.

And, English Adjuncts are verrrrrry plentiful.

I see the most adjunct postings for nursing courses and physics courses.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 21, 2014

I am an administrator for a community college. I recruit and hire adjuncts. I would agree, English majors are easy to hire, followed closely by History. Math is not as difficult to hire as you would think. Neither is any science. The areas I find most difficult are speech/communications, economics, sociology, psychology, philosophy-all required gen eds.

The thing that is most frustrating is people who 1) have the desire to teach, and 2) have the ability, often have Masters degrees that are useless in the college world. Areas like curriculum and instruction, reading, or Ed admin will never get hired by my college anyway, unless they also happen to have picked up 18 hours in a specific area.

In fact, if you are looking at a Masters in speech, I'm hiring! :lol:

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 21, 2014

All my degrees...hahahaha...wompwomp.

Are these not even useful for teaching pre-service teachers?

8. Math

Math Cohort

Jan 21, 2014

So they basically have to have a Masters in the content? (Masters in Mathematics)

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 22, 2014

I know, right? Sorry! I can only speak for my college, but typically full time faculty teach those education classes. We don't have enough of a need to also employ adjuncts to teach these. We have a strict minimum number of students in each class, and education classes are hard to fill with that minimum. But again, I'm in a relatively rural area, so I'm sure this is different in other areas.

Yes, in most cases. In my state (I'm not sure if this is different elsewhere), one can have a Masters in any area, and hold 18 grad hours in a particular field, and be able to teach in that field. So we do, on occasion, find teachers that will hold a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction, but also have 18 graduate hours in History, for example. Mostly, these teachers will teach dual credit classes.

Which, OP, is something you should look into. Most of our adjunct instructors are public school employees, who teach one or more courses for dual credit. They are paid in various ways, depending on their school, but our pay rate is the same (some schools take their pay for other purposes :unsure:).

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 22, 2014

I didn't mean this to sound as harsh as it does! I didn't mean that those degrees are useless, but just not applicable in my area or anywhere near here.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2014

Yup! Me too! Of course, my intent was never to teach adjunct, but it doesn't seem like a bad option at the moment.

12. Math

Math Cohort

Jan 22, 2014

Is an adjunct the professor or like a professor assistant?

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 22, 2014

An adjunct is an instructor a college hires to teach only 1 or 2 classes. They are not tenure track, nor full time. They are typically paid by the credit hour. For example, my college pays $675 per credit hour. :unsure:

14. Math

Math Cohort

Jan 22, 2014

That is bad pay? $675 per credit hour? Like if a class is 2 hours long they get $1350? Isn't that considered reasonable?

15. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Jan 22, 2014

I think what she means is you can't make a living off it.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 22, 2014

I'd assume that means they'd get $675 a semester if they taught a one credit class.

17. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 22, 2014

Community colleges near me only seem to hire those with PhDs. The market seems to be saturated so job seekers that only hold a Master's don't really have a chance... at least from what I have seen.

Now I say that, but a friend of mine was recently looking for someone with an undergrad in Mortuary Science + any science-type Master's to teach embalming courses at a university.

18. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 22, 2014

Credit hours are not the same as "regular" hours.

A typical college class is worth 3 credits. That means the professor, for the entire semester, would get 3 * $675. That's it.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2014

This.
    I've taught as an adjunct. It's A LOT of work...I was doing in addition to my regular teaching job.

20. Math

Math Cohort

Jan 22, 2014

MIKE!!! :hugs::hugs::hugs: sorry... :p

Oh, wow, now I understand.

21. Math

Math Cohort

Jan 22, 2014

Do you find the job really worth it with pay like that? Well, does anyone find it truly worth while?

I haven't seen you around lately either czacza... :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2014

I did it at a point a few years ago when I felt I needed another 'outlet', to share my passion....I taught an Early Childhood Language and Lit class for three semesters. Was it worth it? Yeah...it expanded my thinking, enhanced my resume. Monetarily? It's not a 'living', and was a LOT of work.

23. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 22, 2014

It seems totally crazy. If you're doing it right, it's all the planning of regular teaching.

I feel like some of my professors aren't planning much though. They just say "Here are some readings! Come sit in small groups and talk about them!"

I can do that. :whistle:

24. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 23, 2014

Mike is correct. $675 * credit hours. It's paltry, to say the least.

Dual credit instructors have an interesting lot. Some of them have agreements with their public schools that they get whatever money they earn. Some schools take the instructor's pay to pay for the students' tuition. And some schools take it just to take it.