Best sticky tack for walls?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ohteachr, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ohteachr

ohteachr Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Our school was repainted over the summer and we are no longer allowed to use hot glue or sticky tabs to hold up posters on the walls. The principal wants us to use only sticky tack. I've had bad luck in the past finding one that works on painted cinder block walls. What is the best kind/brand to try and where can I find it?

3. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 13, 2010

I can't help you there. I have the same type of walls and nothing works. Especially because our building is SO hot that everything comes down. They told us no tape, but I had no choice. It holds a lil bit longer than other things. I hear that 3M works well, I used velcro for some of my posters and it seems to be working very very well. However, the only problem is that the velcro has tape on one saide.

4. WarmWillow

WarmWillow Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

In California we have a store called Staples that sells a soft blue poster putty. I believe the one I bought was Elmer's brand. It was the best and a little went a long way.

I had a kindergartner who loved to pick it off my posters. His father got white poster putty to replace it but it didn't work nearly as well and all my posters were on the floor when I walked in my classroom in the morning.

So, make sure it is the soft blue poster putty (not the harder longer blue putty).

The Staples website has a picture of what it looks like but they don't show it in the blue color.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 13, 2010

Can you use Mauvelous tape? It's the ONLY thing I could find that would keep stuff up on my painted cinderblock walls. It gets so humid in there at night that everything else just peeled off.

6. ohteachr

ohteachr Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I don't know if we can use Mavalus tape or not. Where could I find that?

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

You know the 3M recommand hooks that you pull and stretch to get off when you are done? Instead of buying the hooks, just buy the sticky refills and use those. Then when you are done, just pull the tab and it will come off the wall.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

Command now sells the same material they have for hooks but it is for posters so it is flat. I have seen it for sale lately and Command had some coupons online. We are also allowed to use blue painter's tape.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 13, 2010

If you have a teacher store near you, they should have it. Otherwise you can order it from Classroom Direct or other online teacher supply sites.

I used it on newly painted walls and not a bit of paint came off- after the posters being up for three years! It is a wonderful product.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2010

There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be allowed to use the 3M removable poster tabs. They are harmless. I've used them at home and school on drywall, cinderblock, metal, glass, chalkboard...it is harmless. Please grab a pack and take them to your principal and demonstrate if you must. I cannot stand sticky tack. :)

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 14, 2010

I am lucky - can use staples on most walls if what I am putting up stays up all year...otherwise it is yellow sticky tack. I do love Command strips!! I will have to look for 3M poster tabs, though. It sounds much easier than the dreaded sticky tack.

We, too, have had children who are enamored with sticky tack and "borrow" some...now I put some in my prize box in a snack-sized baggie - but they must take it home if they select it.

13. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

Excuse me for laughing. I've tried a lot of things and nothing sticks to painted cinder block very well, except hot glue. I think it has to do with the fluctuating temperature of the brick and the ambient humidity. I don't know.

One thing that was suggested to me that sorta worked, but not 100%, was masking tape with tacky Elmer's glue added to the sticky side. The hold is much better than tape alone. It's time consuming though.

Another suggestion is to hang something seemly looking on the wall that is permanently attached to the wall that you can then glue and tack to. Cork strips, foam backer, etc. You may get permission to add something permanent. You can ask.

Good luck.

14. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I found a product called "glue dots" last year that worked GREAT. They aren't really repositionable though so once they're up they're up. But they come right off with no problems.

15. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mauvelous tape! It has held up some pretty heavy kids projects for me. I buy it at my local teacher's store, but I know you can buy it through the mailbox as well. I highly recommend this product!