Best state to live in

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Peachyness, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2007

What is the best state to live in the good ole' U.S.A? My hubby and I would love to get out of CA and someplace new. I would love to move somewhere where it's cooler. I really don't like being hot and sweaty, especially before 10 in the morning.

3. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2007

Well I was going to say Texas but its pretty hot here too...although its A LOT cheaper than cali

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

Minnesota is very beautiful, occasionally rather cool (temperature-wise), and has both big city stuff and outdoor woodsy stuff.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2007

I've lived in Missouri and in Idaho. I think you could probably find advantages to any state. Idaho is nice, and has some really pretty scenery. It was extremely easy for me to get a job here. It gets really hot, but it's a dry heat. I like Missouri better, but that's where I've lived most of my life. It gets really humid in Missouri. The summers-sometimes it's really hot and some summers it's not too bad. I lived in a lot bigger city in Missouri so I had more things available to me than I do here in Idaho.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the schools in both states. Right now I prefer Idaho, but mostly because I like the small town better than the big city, for teaching at least. But, you don't really get to choose what you teach in Idaho.

I've also lived in a couple other states (Maine, Florida, California) but I was a baby so I don't remember anything about them. I visited Maine a couple years ago and I loved it.

6. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

If you like the winter and want snow, come to upstate NY. I wouldn't recommend my area though. It's not terrible but I know there are much better places to live! However, the cost of living is really cheap here compared to other places.

7. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

Ok...so Florida's out! :p

If I didn't live in Florida, I'd move north to North Carolina or Tennessee. Cooler temperatures, rolling hills, and actual seasons!

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 23, 2007

Its not Arizona!

I vote for WA state.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 23, 2007

I live in Arkansas (NorthWest) and we get a wide range of weather. All of the seasons are represented in some way. Our winters are a little different. We don't get a lot of snow, but sometimes get ice then snow. This is a very nice area to live in, and to work. It does seem that we have a lot of people from CA moving in to our corner of the state lately.

10. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I lived in coastal Texas (Houston) and it was hot as hades in the summer (and the winter too). Housing wasn't bad though. Cost of living in GA was not bad, but we lived in Atlanta and traffic was terrible - Not compared to Houston, but in hind site ;)

I about died when we moved to NC (it was the sticks compared to where we'd been), but the cost of living is not bad. Housing is more expensive than it had been in Texas -- comparable to GA and we have four seasons. I missed the big city stuff. But I got used to it. It was a good place to raise the boys. People complain about what teachers get paid, but compared to what everyone else gets paid, I don't think it's so bad. I do have single friends who manage to live on it. And when I thought about looking for another job a few years ago, I was appalled at what other industries where making. We get ice in the winter and not snow generally speaking, but since I'd not seen much in the form of winter precip, that wasn't an issue. Things shut down when the wet stuff comes usually.

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 23, 2007

California is the best, IMHO!

Sure, we don't shovel snow off of our own driveways, but we can drive easily to the snow during winter.

I love it.

12. glovie

glovie Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I agree. I've lived in many locales in the East, South, and Northwest and for weather and scenic beauty I think there is no comparison. I never wanted to come here, but I became a California convert.

13. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, Washington! We have beautiful scenery and all four seasons. Lots of snow, rain, sunshine!

14. glenn

glenn Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Flagstaff AZ is really nice. You have the four seasons. Summer temps are just perfect. A lot of people from CA are moving out to Flagstaff and Williams AZ. Williams AZ would be a really good place to buy real estate as prices are expected to continue go up.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 23, 2007

As someone who has moved to multiple states....

The thrill is there when you move to another state because you get to discover an adventure but the truth is....Home is where the heart is.

16. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I'm in central CA. It's 2 hrs to the beach, 2 hrs to the Giant Sequoias, 3 hrs to San Francisco or Los Angeles. It gets hot, but you get used to it.

17. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 24, 2007

AMEN to that. It takes a while for the heart to follow the body I've found. Unless you get really excited about a move early on.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

Since I have only lived in three states I can only tell you how I would pick out of those three.

1. Maine (it's my home state, winters can be cold but not as cold as the mid-west). Summers are usually fairly nice. Except this summer we are getting a lot of rain.

2. WA state it rains a lot. But the scenery reminded me a lot of home. I do remember wishing for more sun in the summer.

3. MA. I lived on Cape Cod for a summer it was wonderful. Loved it. I enjoyed going to the beach daily. But the winters were awful. It was always freezing rain and the wind was horrible.

So I have never lived in a state that I wasn't close to the ocean. I love the ocean and don't think I could live more than an hour away.

19. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

CO is a great state to live in because of the weather, scenery and beautiful blue skies.

It is not so great - we're ranked 48 in education spending, 26th in teacher pay, and the cost of living is ridiculous. Home prices are terrible.

Not bashing really, just being honest. My husband and I would like to move somewhere we can actually afford to live.

20. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

I grew up in northern KY. It gets hot in the summer, but not nearly as hot as it does here in TX. They also get to experience the full beauty of all 4 seasons.

21. nsatterfield

nsatterfield Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I'm partial to Upstate South Carolina :)

I have lived here all of my life and can't imagine living anywhere else!

We experience the joy of all four seasons well defined. We have hot summers with temps in the 90's, awesome falls with the most beautiful trees, our winters sometimes come with snow and our springs- I'm not a fan of spring, but trust me-my allergies can attest to a true spring!

22. LLBeanie81

LLBeanie81 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Mass is nice. There is a lot within a driving distance - beaches, mountains, history. You can live in a beautiful suburb but be close to the city. Boston is a nice city.

The weather can be kind of crappy. Chilly springs, cold winters... it rains a lot and snows. The summer has some nice days - you appreciate the nice ones more lol.

I've lived here for my entire life outside of college so maybe I'm biased, but I like it.

23. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 24, 2007

Flagstaff is absolutely beautiful! But real estate is outrageous there due to a few reasons. And it's next to impossible to find a teaching job there. If you are willing to commute for a job and you have a husband that makes good money, then I would recommend Flagstaff. It has an excellent school system. If not, I would try Colorado. I've had quite a few friends (teachers included) that have moved to Colorado recently and they are quite pleased with it.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2007

Well, Kentucky...

ranks worst in smoking rates,
    ranks worst in exercise,
    ranks 7th worst in obesity statistics,
    has the 2nd highest cancer death rate,
    has the 5th worst heart disease rate,
    has almost 45 of the entire nation's 340 poor rural counties,
    has the worst lung cancer rate,
    ranks 45th in health care,
    and is pretty down there in education too.

Even so, I LOVE Kentucky. It is beautiful, rich in history and culture, not the deep south but southern and definitely country...

I love traveling, but I'm always glad to come home.

25. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 25, 2007

I concur.:)

26. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 25, 2007

I love living in TN!!!
    4 distinct seasons
    3 beautiful divisions of the state
    Very nice people
    Lots of great churches
    Lots to do in the state and close by.
    You and your DH have a big decision ahead. I just said a prayer for you all. If you start thinking seriously about TN, PM me and I can give you more details.

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2007

I know I should have posted this last July
    but try this site:
    http://www.findyourspot.com/default.asp

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2007

I took the quiz just for fun...a town in Kentucky was third on the list, which is good. It also placed me in North Carolina several times (where we went to be married), Texas, and Washington. Pretty neat. :)

29. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 8, 2007

I took the quiz.. talk about uncanny... the number 1 choice for me was........ my current hometown!!

too funny

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2007

31. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 8, 2007

I tried the quiz, Irishdave...and it listed my hometown as one of my best matches. Neat!

32. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 8, 2007

Peachyness, I haven't lived in many states, but I've spent a lot of time traveling around the U.S. with my truck driving boyfriend during the summers. I can honestly say that the best city/state I ever visited was Missoula, Montana. The people were the most friendly people I've ever met and the town was clean and beautiful. The mountains made nice backdrop scenery.

33. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 8, 2007

New York!! I'm biased. If you're more than an hour away from Manhattan, your life is missing something. I love it here. And it's expensive to live on Long Island but I wouldn't have it any other way.

34. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 8, 2007

I live in WA and love the weather! We have warm summers and cold winters!

35. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2007

I say there's no place like TX!!

36. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 8, 2007

I took the quiz and apparently should pack my bags because it listed 3 towns in Florida, one in Virginia, and one in Louisiana. I guess I'm a "southern girl" at heart. LOL

37. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2007

Ok the job market might be slim but I LOVE cleveland ..best city in the word!

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2007

I'll never move out of state - I can't explain it, it's just not me...but I've always said I would love to live in Montana. I also did a brochure on Colorado in fourth grade and have already been interested in that state.

39. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 9, 2007

I'm a Cleveland girl too! Well...before I moved. But I'll always be a Cleveland girl at heart. Out of curiosity, are you a west sider or east sider?

40. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 12, 2007

MA all the way! Mass is the best- we have the Red Sox