Best shoes?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by RussianBlueMommy, Feb 25, 2017.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 25, 2017

Hi Everyone
    So my new job (building sub full time perm) has me doing a lot of walking/standing for long periods. I have prior arthritis / ankle issues from a car accident a few years ago (open fractures, lots of plates and screws).

I have yet to find the perfect shoes. The closest I have found for comfort is SAS (San Antonio Shoes) company. They are pretty amazing, but my feet still hurt at the end of the day and my ankles are even worse. Any ideas? I also need extra wide, which cancels out a lot of shoes.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2017

Many teachers find Merrill comfortable. Also check the brand Aetrex.
    www.aetrex.com
    I truthfully only wear pretty shoes. Mostly heels.
    I do own a pair of Aetrex wedge sandals that are very cute and comfy.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Backroads likes this.
  4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Feb 26, 2017

For me, good shoes are only a part of the solution. Maybe you need some sort of orthotic also? Brand I like are Dansko and Josef Seibel, but, quite honestly, I get the most comfort from my New Balance worn with a custom orthotic.

5. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Feb 26, 2017

I get made fun of for this but I dress pretty formally most days (slacks, button up, tie) but I still wear sneakers every day. My first year teaching I tried to wear dress shoes and I ended up getting a stress fracture on my left foot. I now wear Nike Shoxx (all black leather) every day. Kids think its funny looking but my feet don't hurt.

6. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Feb 26, 2017

I've heard good things about Merrill and Dansko, but no personal experience because they don't make my size. I like Skechers' wear-to-work line with my custom orthotics. With drugstore orthotics, Walking Cradles or shoes from Naturalizer's N6 line are reasonably comfortable. Most of the time though, I wear nice leather sneakers with my custom orthotics.

7. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Feb 26, 2017

The only shoes that do not hurt my feet after being on them all day are Sketchers Relaxed fit memory foam. I also have a wide foot. After wearing these for a week, my plantar fascistic got much better and and went away completely.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 26, 2017

I've got a lot of metal in my ankle too, so I feel your pain....literally! I wear Clarks, Yellow Box, and Skechers with inserts in many of them.

Try to sit for ten minutes out of every hour. It's very tough to do, but I feel better and then am more effective teacher. I also have a fatigue mat in front of the Elmo for the times I'm using the overhead. I do the stretches I had in physical therapy if I feel my ankle swelling. I still come home on some days in horrible pain, but I think it would be worse if I didn't pamper my ankle so.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 26, 2017

Ah yes, the continuing quest for the best shoe possible! I know how ya feel. Ever since an ankle injury myself (Achilles tendon rupture), I've been even more careful with the shoes I get.

For sneakers, I currently wear Asics. I have a few pairs of them.
    For casual shoes/boots, I like Born, Gentle Soles, & Earth. The only Dansko I have are clogs that are heavy & inflexible that I rarely wear them, so I don't know how they are these days.
    For sandals, I like Teva (even better than Merril).

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 27, 2017

I just bought these and will wear them for the first time at school tomorrow so I'll see how my feet are by the end of the day. They seem really comfortable and can be worn with dressy pants.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2017

I'm shoe obsessed.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 28, 2017

https://alegriashoes.com/
    They are expensive but I found some new ones at a consignment store for $35 and I love them! You know how new shoes usually bother you a day or two when you first get them? Not these!
    They are funky looking but I'm loving them and getting a lot of compliments...
    [​IMG]

Backroads likes this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 28, 2017

This has been a great thread for me. I pay less attention to my footwear than I should and I'm starting to suffer for it.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 28, 2017

Years ago I had to breakdown and buy some expensive sneakers with expensive insoles because my feet were killing me! Plantar fasciitis is killer!

teacherintexas likes this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 28, 2017

My Sketchers with memory foam were so comfortable today! I think they were around $50 or so.

16. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Feb 28, 2017

The yoga mat soled Skechers are as good as the memory foam. They make a line for Target, S or S-sport by Skechers I think is the name, that go on sale cheap. My auntie got a pair for $15 a few months ago.

There's three things that everybody can do to make their shoe experience better. One is to vary your heel height, even if it's just between flats and a kitten heel or low wedge. It's better for your tendons and calves to change things up.

The second is to appropriately support your arches. You can find out if you have flat feet or high arches by wetting the bottom of your feet and stepping on to a piece of cardboard or a paper bag. If your footprint doesn't have an indent or much of one, you have flat feet; if only the outside edge of your midfoot leaves a mark, you have high arches (me). Your print should be bean-shaped if your arches are normal.

The third is only for sneakers, but find out what kind of shoe feels best for your gait. Ask to try a pair of "neutral", "stability", and "motion-control" shoes. Walk around in them and go with whatever feels best. Over time, your joints will thank you.