Best shapewear

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Dec 19, 2010.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 19, 2010

Anyone have faves?

I'm looking for a waist cincher type...or high briefs with tummy pannel.
    Don't want to look horrible for wedding pics.

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 19, 2010

Target has a great camisole called Suddenly Skinny. I wear mine every day. It has a higher neck so it doesn't show cleavage. I've also gotten some great high waisted biker shorts from Sears. I can't wear the corsets. They hurt my ribs.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 19, 2010

Spanx is great

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2010

I hear a lot about Spanx too...never tried it myself.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2010

I've reached the conclusion that if I want to look thinner, I'll just have to stop eating and sitting so much. And that's not to be a downer, it's just the truth for me. I have tried such things and really don't notice much of a difference, and in fact feel better without. Perhaps you fall into this category, but I think they are more effective for those with a couple extra pounds and maybe just a general softness about them...once you reach my level of adundance, all the Lycra in the world won't do much.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 19, 2010

I need to lose weight...but can't lose the amount I need to in 3 weeks.
    Just want short term fix. I already feel bad enough about myself.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 19, 2010

The best thing to do is to have an outfit that's well made and is the right shape to flatter your current shape. It's amazing how much better I look when my clothes fit me well and are appropriate for my body's shape and size.

ST, you're a beautiful person inside and out. Your body size doesn't define you if you don't let it. Wear a beautiful dress with the confidence that you're a fabulous person, and you'll be stunning. I promise.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2010

I hope you didn't think I meant you simply need to get your act together and exercise...I truly didn't mean that. It's just that those slimmers didn't do much slimming for me.

One week ago I weighed my lifetime high, so I feel your pain... Over the summer I was prepared to make drastic changes, but then I ended up making another major lifestyle change that become priority. Now that that has settled, I am ready to revisit my weight-loss/health efforts.

I agree with MM.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2010

SPANX SPANX SPANX

SPANX.

Like others said though, don't expect them to work miracles. I love that they make me look smoother and make my clothes hang a little better on me. But it's not going to make me look like I lost more than a couple lbs maybe.

The higher power panties by spanx go all the way up under your bra down to your knees (or you can wear them higher up the thigh if you want). They have SUPER higher power panties now that have a slimming panel in them but I haven't tried them.

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 19, 2010

I just want smoother...not look like I lost 50 lbs...but that would be nice lol

Justme- I didn't think you were saying that's the only thing I could do...but that is the best thing since I can't afford much...just needed something for a few hours.

....and to fit in most of my non-maternity clothes :(

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2010

Oh, spanx makes a knockoff of their own product called assets. They are a little more cheaply made, but I think they are just as good, especially for a one time use. They just don't hold up and aren;t quite as heavy. I think they have them at target.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2010

I used to sell Spanx to customers when i worked in a plus size store and they really liked how they shaped them. The only downside is they are pretty expensive unless you plan to get a lot of use out of them. I would try the cheaper version.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 19, 2010

I would suggest going to Walmart and Target and trying on their versions of shapewear.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2010

I agree with Spanx. I have the one called Higher Power. If you have a clingy dress it can really help smooth everything out. I think they're around $36, so I don't think that's really too expensive, especially for a wedding!

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 19, 2010

This thread reminds me of:

Truvy: Clairee, you know I’d rather walk on my lips than criticize anybody...but...Janice Van Meter…
    Clairee: I know...
    Truvy: I bet you money she’s paid $500 for that dress and doesn’t even bother to wear a girdle.
    Clairee: It’s like two pigs fighting under a blanket.
    Truvy: Well, I haven’t left the house without lycra on these thighs since I was 14.
    Clairee: You were brought up right.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2010

^ :)