Best school districts in Florida to work for?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by movingtoFL, Feb 3, 2006.

1. movingtoFL

movingtoFL Rookie

Feb 3, 2006

Back again...looking for help on Florida! Does anyone have an opinion on the best/safest/nicest etc. counties in Florida to work in?

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 3, 2006

i only have experiences working in dade and broward. I interned in plant city and the tampa area, which are both hillsborough county.
    I do love the west coast of florida so I would have to say pinellas or hillsborough are my favorite.
    There are areas of EVERY COUNTY that are nicer then others.

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2006

mamaruthie, my aunt and uncle live outside of dad city!! that's cool to know someone from around there!

5. adria

adria Comrade

Feb 3, 2006

school district

I have worked for polk county school district I think they are great, the homes are affordable. I think it would be best if you consider the price of the home.

Take care and happy hunting

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 4, 2006

I live in Palm Beach County and I really wouldn't recommend it.

7. adria

adria Comrade

Feb 4, 2006

Sorry to hear about Palm Beach. I was considering down there but your short statement convince me not to.

8. movingtoFL

movingtoFL Rookie

Feb 4, 2006

My favorite of all the districts I've applied to is Polk County...I really hope to get on there...although right now I really just hope I can get a job in general :p I'm simply a bit of a fraidy cat about kids who do a lot of hunting and such and have access and know how with guns and knives...I'm a bit of a worry wart and sadly am considering these things when thinking of teaching ELEMENTARY! I definitely am leaning towards central and west coast Florida so far.

9. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Feb 5, 2006

I was in your position just about a year ago.

My family just got tired of winter and decided to move to FL.

I applied to many different counties on both coasts and went to a couple of different job fairs.

I also used sites such as www.teachers-teachers.com and http://www.teachinflorida.com - these sites will contact you when positions open up.

And, I checked this site on a regular basis (daily) : http://www.fldoe.org/k12/employment.asp

In the end, I accepted a job in Manatee County. There are many good schools in the county and there is a great deal of technology (each teacher has a wirless MAC and I even have a wirelss lab with 22 computers in my room).

I absolutley LOVE where I live. Yesterday was Feb 4th and I went for a walk with my family at 5:30 at night with shorts and a t-shirt! The sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico are like nothing I've ever seen before...The people are sooooo friendly...there is so much to do down here I could never get bored...etc.

However, you should definitely make sure to look at housing costs. Bradenton (Manatee County) is one of the hottest markets in the U.S. (up 42% in 1 year). That's great if you already own a house or if you have a more expensive house up north that you are selling, but not so great if you are just trying to live down here on a teacher's salary.

Feel free to contact me if you any other questions.

--Adam

10. angncfl

angncfl Rookie

Feb 5, 2006

I'll add in that you defianately want to research housing costs. Our market has gone through the roof in Orange county. If I were looking to buy in my area today, I couldn't afford it. We bought 4.5 years ago right before the market was peeking. My house is more then double what we paid for it, and will triple within the next two years.

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2006

What I want to know is who is able to purchase all of these houses that cost so much?

Are there that many jobs that can afford the high cost of living that is all over the country?

In CO, HUGE houses are still being built....I don't get it. Did I miss something? Some secret to life?

12. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Feb 5, 2006

Definitely NOT teachers! It's similar here in the Phoenix metro area. The price of houses has gone up 50% in the last year. Apartments are now catching up so you can't afford to rent either and many apartment complexes are selling out as condos, so people with reasonable rent either have to mortgage $250,000-300,000 to live in their current apartment or get out! I took a big pay cut to start teaching a year ago and am really feeling the crunch.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 5, 2006

I always wonder that too about housing. It seems that financing has gotten pretty creative and people aren't building any equity anymore. I wouldn't want to take on that kind of mortgage just to bet on the future market. So far the market has been in a crazy upswing but this month has been the first month in several years where our local market did not rise. I think there has to be some correction in it and maybe the slowdown is about to start now.

Adam is still in the romance phase of Florida living - still thawing out! Good for him. There really is a lot to enjoy.

14. movingtoFL

movingtoFL Rookie

Feb 5, 2006

Still in the romance phase? Do you like it less after living there awhile? I must be in the romance phase too, because we just had a couple inches of snow and I can't WAIT to leave it behind! I think I would pay any price for housing to get away from this winter!

Speaking of housing...we are probably going to rent an apartment at least for awhile...until we get down there and figure out where we want to be. Are the apartment prices outrageous too?

15. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Feb 5, 2006

Well I'll tell you dont teach in Duval county. Northern Florida has some good counties to work in (Clay and St. johns are good) housing isnt too horrendous.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 5, 2006

No rentals under $900 in Palm Beach County.

17. movingtoFL

movingtoFL Rookie

Feb 5, 2006

What's wrong with Duval County?????

18. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Feb 7, 2006

Me neither!!

19. movingtoFL

movingtoFL Rookie

Feb 7, 2006

Any thoughts on Volusia County?

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 7, 2006

What do you all think of Flagler or Volusia counties?

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 7, 2006

I guess I didn't read all the way down. So I repeated the same question.

22. angncfl

angncfl Rookie

Feb 7, 2006

Volusia and Flagler are not as crazy in price, but they're getting there. I would move to either one, probably Flagler before Volusia...no specific reasons why...I think it's less crowded....

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 7, 2006

I meant school wise. My grandparents own a condo. So I was thinking if I could find a job down there. I could stay with them for the yr. Then move back up here after I get experience.

24. y-pre3

y-pre3 New Member

Feb 7, 2006

Moving to Florida

I can tell you where not to work.... Polk County... they don't pay well at all.:sorry:

25. iRiShTeAcHeRfL

iRiShTeAcHeRfL Rookie

Feb 7, 2006

Broward County

I work in Broward County. Like someone else said, there are good parts of every county. There are some very nice areas in Broward, but also some very poor ones. I work in an inner-city school, which can have its ups and downs. The county has a nice benefit package and retirement plans for employees. The starting salary for bachelors and no exp. is $35,300. Let me know if you want any more information......Also, the county is ALWAYS looking for teachers. The need is very great due to rapid population growth.

26. kawikasgirl

kawikasgirl Rookie

Feb 11, 2006

I know this thread was posted several days ago, but I'm hoping someone will read my posting and answer my question. I am also looking to relocate to Florida and was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback regarding Bay county and that school district. :angel: :thanks:

27. funteaching

funteaching Rookie

Mar 6, 2006

what about orange county?

28. angncfl

angncfl Rookie

Mar 7, 2006

Orange County has several new schools being built. Apopka has new senior, middle, and elementary schools opening in the fall. I work in the private schools, but have several friends who work for the county and like it...depends upon the school.
    Seminole county pays a bit more, I think and in the same area.

29. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Mar 7, 2006

How's Osceola? I applied to be invited to a job fair there.

30. Julie

Julie Rookie

Mar 7, 2006

I would say NOT Alachua County. It is where UF is and it is nothing but college students. On the other hand, apartments are somewhat cheeper because of that but then you have the noise of college students. Alachua county is lacking in technology and are just "behind the times". If I had stayed another year, I would have moved.

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 8, 2006

Anyone who wants to come to Palm Beach county and work part time as a special ed tutor should PM me.

32. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Mar 8, 2006

Ohh havent read this one in a while... Duval.... well to start they are one of the larger districts in the state. They have a HUGE amount of bureaucratic red tape. While I like several principals out there I was told straight up I would not be able to get a job at their school because of my race. They typically assign white teachers to inner city and black teachers to suburbs. If you don't like the school you end up at you can't transfer schools easily. It takes 3 years of teaching to be able to transfer. They also don't post their jobs for people to see they just put your name on a list. The best time to get a job with them is a job fair when at least you can TRY to get an interview with many different principals.

Overall I just hated it there. TO much BS to have to go through to actually teach without looking over your shoulder wondering who has it out for you. On the flip side I LOVE the county im in now. And have heard great things from other people about the other county mentioned.

33. KAT2276

KAT2276 New Member

Apr 17, 2006

I work in Santa Rosa County. It is located in the panhandle. It is not one of the largest school districts in the state, nor does it pay the most, but it's one of the best. After Hurricane Ivan, the housing market went through the roof, but now it has leveled off. We are growing very quickly and can hardly keep up with the explosion. Last year we didn't have enough qualified applicants to fill the positions available. This area is one of the best kept secrets in the state and I encourage you to check into the area. I strongly suggest you steer clear of Alachua county. Good luck!

34. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Apr 18, 2006

I'm in Hillsborough. I like it. The pay is OK. The housing is a little out of control.

Kelly :)

35. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

May 11, 2006

I'm moving to Lake County (Clermont area) to teach 1st grade in the fall. How are housing prices in that area?

36. Mama Chick

Mama Chick Rookie

May 11, 2006

I'm in Lake County too! Leesburg to be exact. You can expect homes to be about $230,000 for a 3/2.

37. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 12, 2006

Ive taught in Bradford County since the late 70s.
    Pay is ok and housing isnt high. Just one HS and one Middle
    School. I teach in a rural elementary school. Great job.
    If you like lots of traffic and people go south and to the
    coast or Orlando, if not go inland or north.

38. bwgraduate

bwgraduate New Member

May 21, 2006

I am also graduating with early childhood education and looking at moving to florida. I am looking to move in the south area. Any suggestions or comments about dade or broward count??