Best school districts in Dallas (TX)??

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Science_teacher, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Hi all,

Sorry for asking this question here but I thought I might get the best responses here. I currently live in California and plan to move to Dallas (TX). I want to know what are the best school districts in Dallas. I googled a lot but I am not sure whether the info I got is the most accurate.

So please people, who know anything about good school districts in Dallas (or surrounding areas), do share your opinions. Also, if you can post some websites where I can find some accurate info, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

3. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

Well Dallas, has just one big school district (Dallas Independent School District). It pays well (not as high as Cali., but the price of living is much cheaper here). If you're a science teacher, you may want to check at Townview Magnet Center. It's a college prep. public school. I graduated from there and it's considered one of the best schools and the district. Basically, it's the newest school in the district so it has the most recent equipment and classroom updates and since it's a magnet school, it gets to pick and chose it's student, so basically all the students are GT. It has six magnets under one roof. I graduated from the Science and Engineering Magnet. Since the schools are GT stuffed, the state test pass rates are between 95-100% in all areas (When my graduating class took the exam, we had a 100% pass rate in all three areas) You may also want to try Skyline High School, it's not magnet program so it's fairly different from Townview. It's still a great school. I student taught there and I liked it. Booker T. Washington is the Magnet for the Arts and it's pretty popular. But those are all high schools. If you're not a secondary teacher let me know and I'll add some other recommendations.

If you want to live in Dallas, but not actually teach in the inner city, you could teach in one of the suburbs. There are several: Duncanville ISD, DeSoto ISD, Cedar Hill ISD, Richardson ISD, Plano ISD, Garland ISD, Highland Parks ISD (that's were the REALLY rich people live, but for the most part, their kids are in private schools, so I'm not sure what the public school quality is) , Mesquite ISD and Lancaster ISD. All of them are pretty good but some (Cedar Hill ISD) are more fledgling than others. I'd stay away from Lancaster though, they're under state investigation for missing funds (a couple of million and they're state exam scores are the lowest in the state. Well, they were second lowest until Wilmer-Hutchins ISD, the neighboring ISD got shut down for missing funds and low test scores. Lancaster looks like it may be next which would require Dallas ISD to annex them like they had to do with Wilmer-Hutchins ISD). All of these districts have websites. Good luck! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

4. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Thank you so much each1teach1 !! Greatly appreciated.

My first preference is definitely for middle schools, since I have never taught in a high school. However, I am open to high schools as well. I am credentialed to teach Science in middle and high schools. Do you have any recommendation for middle schools in Dallas and suburbs?

Any other info that you think might be useful for me, please do share that.

Thanks again for your detailed response.

5. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

Hmm...I'm not really super familiar with the middle schools other than the one I attended because I'd just come out of private school at that point so I didn't know anyone who attended any of the other middle schools and mine wasn't that great but here is the
    Dallas ISD website:

www.dallasisd.org

You look up the middle schools and then go to greatschools.net to get the low down on them.

Then there's the education blogger from the dallas morning news who acts an investigative reporter for anything that happens in any of the metroplex districts:

http://www.dallasnews.com/localnews/education/

and they have the city by city option at the top so you can search the different suburb districts. Good luck!

6. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Wow - that's very useful info! Thanks a ton!

I will check out the websites that you mentioned.

Thanks again Each1Teach1.

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

No problem. I hope you find what you're looking for!

8. LauraBeth

LauraBeth Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I teach just north of Dallas and was in Plano last year. Are you looking for schools in the city of Dallas or are you free to work in the surrounding cities?

9. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I am willing to work anyhwhere in or around Dallas (suburbs). The only condition is that the school district should be one of the best ones. I want my kids to study over there and eventually we plan to buy a house in that area.

My first preference is for middle schools. However the idea of working in a high school also sounds good.

I would really appreciate it if you can tell me more about the school districts there.

Thanks in advance.

10. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

Science teacher if you want to be in one of the best then DISD is not the place for you. Being a science teacher, you are in a position to be very selective. There are some in the Tarrant County area that continue to get much praise. The popular & good ones that are hard to get in are HEB, Birdville, Keller & perhaps Grapevine (though I haven't heard much about them these days). All these however are either in the midcities or close to FT Worth. Some of these offer very competitive salaries but I don't know about the benefits. I'm sure there are more out there especially from smaller districts that fair well. Check out the State Board of Education website for a list of districts for further research. The Dallas Morning news website has an education section that offers good current news on what is going on in the districts.

11. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

Hmm...well, I know that DISD pays the best (or at leas they did the last time I checked), but you're right, headaches do come with good pay. However, DISD has some good schools. Last year Townview had two magnets ranked number 1 and 2 in the nation. I think this year they were 1 and 6. But I can't vouch for the elementary schools because I never attended one in DISD.

12. LauraBeth

LauraBeth Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

I have grown up in the school systems here in North Texas and will definitely say that Lewisville ISD is one of the BEST! There are some title I schools, however overall the schools are VERY strong. (www.lisd.net) The pay pretty well also, I believe they start at 45,300, if you want specific school private message me. I attended school K-12 and student taught in Lewisville.
    I currently work now for Denton ISD, they pay better than Lewisville (45,600), but have several more title I schools. I am working in Lantana it is a private neighborhood (beautiful!) and they have their own elementary and middle schools and are about to build their own high school.
    Let me know if you have any questions! Good Luck!!

13. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

The districts north of Dallas are very good. I went to Plano schools, they have a good reputation as well as Frisco, Allen, Mckinney, and Lewisville. I would be happy for my children to attend any of the above and I have very high standards.

14. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Thanks a ton! I too want my kids to study in good schools :).

Thanks again.

15. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Hi there,

Thank you so much for replying to my post. The information you have provided is very useful. I will send you a PM soon.

Thanks again.