Best Resources for New Teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ms. I, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 21, 2006

What do you feel are the best & most informative books, websites, magazines, videotapes/DVDs, reading, writing, & math programs, etc., etc., etc. that are essential for ALL new general ed & special ed teachers to read & view, in every aspect such as class management/discipline, effective parent communication, collaborating w/ other professionals, how to administer tests (such as the Woodcock-Johnson, PIAT, KTEA, etc.), effective strategies/interventions to teach reading, writing, math, etc.? Also the best sources specifically for special ed?

Please give the title, author, & any other info if possible.

3. historyteacher

historyteacher Companion

Jun 22, 2006

Without a doubt the old standard.....Harry Wong's The First Days of School

Any teacher resource store will have it and it can be purchased through Amazon, etc.

4. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jun 22, 2006

Strategies that Work--excellent for reading.

5. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 22, 2006

I am going to answer your questions from my perspective... a 5th grade regular classroom teacher.

There is one book that I would suggest for any new professional... Harry & Rosemary Wong's The First Days of School. There is a tremendous amount of information to read, review, and implement. I read it every summer and pick up something new each time to add to my classroom management.

Another book that I suggest is Fountas and Pinnell's Guiding Readers and Writers. It is an excellent resource for teachers in upper elementary grades.

Regie Routman has some wonderful books also about reading & writing that are very easy to read/understand.

Those are just off the top of my head. When I venture into school tomorrow, I will try to remember to jot down some other books.

6. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jun 22, 2006

I also second the Harry WOng book. I also love Fred Jones' Tools for Teaching, and re-read it before each school year.

As far as websites go, my favorite is readwritethink.org. I teach language arts and get tons of stuff from there.

7. jcg

jcg Cohort

Jun 22, 2006

You're going to Love This Kid, I think it's written by Paula Kluth. It it a book about teaching kids with autism, but I thin it is for teaching any child. Also Reading with Meaning and Mosaic of Thoought. Another good author aith teaching experience is Marzano.

8. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 22, 2006

I have read some of the titles listed above and can also tell you that I enjoyed "Teaching Outside of the Box" by the same teacher that was the basis for "Dangerous Minds" I found it very practical and had a lot of specific suggestions rather than being filled with general concepts.

~J

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2006

I like www.edhelper.com

Some of their stuff is free; you can join to get the full benefits.

10. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

Help, too

Anyone know of good testing websites? I keep getting asked about them in interviews, and I haven't had this yet. I'm qualified per VA law for a conditional license, but I don't know much about testing at all

11. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 22, 2006

I may be odd fashioned, but I like the Brigance Assessment for Child Development. It comes in three levels: yellow for birth to 3, green for 3 yrs to 8th grade, and blue for upper levels. It assesses reading, writing, math, speech, gross & fine motor, and social/emotional development and gives you a good baseline for current level of performance.
    There is a book that was very helpful to me, but the exact title escapes me. It's something like, What are the other ids doing While you're doing Guided Reading?

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2006

I need a crash course in how to give various types of assessments & the IEP process, so viewing videos will really help. Anyone know any other resources (videos, best mags to subscirbe to, etc.)?

13. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jun 27, 2006

What types of assessments do you need to give:

Formal assessemnt like: Peabpdy Picture Test, Slosson Intelligence, Wooodcock Johnson, Basic Reading Inventory, Test of Written Language, Test of Written Spelling?

Most are similiar to administer. Once you understand the specific test rules for finding the basals and ceilings it's not too difficult. Each test comes with a scripted manuel to follow to make it a lot easier.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 28, 2006

Enter Teaching by Mary Kitagawa
    7 Keys to Comprehension by Susan Zimmerman
    On Solid Ground by Sharon Taberski

Heinemann Publishing has a great catalog of titles.

15. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Fountas and Pinnell also have a book on giving the Basic Reading Inventory. I used it in a class this year. It was very informative and comes with videos to help explain how to administer it. I would recommend any book by Fountas and Pinnell they really know what they are doing. If you would like some of the info from the BRI book please PM me and let me know I would be more than happy to send you the basics so you can at least have an answer during your interviews!

16. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Jun 28, 2006

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2006

And if you know someone in your school who already knows how to adminster the tests, it usually takes about 10 minutes to review each test. They do pretty much tell you what to do/say as you adminster the test.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2006

Thanks for all your responses & thanks BeccaK for your offer of assistance! I'll be keeping a running list of everyone's suggestions! If you can think of more, please post! Thanks again. :)

19. jb24

jb24 Rookie

Jun 30, 2006

I watched a video called "How Difficult Can This Be? The F.A.T. City Workshop" by Rick Lavoie. It's a real cool video on understanding learning disabilities. He puts you in the shoe of the LD student. You feel their frusturation, anxiety, and tension (F.A.T.). Really quite fascinating. I recommend just watching it for fun. As far as the IEP process I can try to help if you want. I still have my IEP(s) :). I was a disabled student (hard-of-hearing) my whole life so I've been in a lot of those meetings!!

Jon

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  20. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 30, 2006

I definitely second "Teaching Outside the Box" by Louanne Johnson - AMAZING!

21. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 1, 2006

The F.A.T. City Workshops are GREAT! We watched them in our college course, and it was interesting to see how it is to have a LD. I definitely reccommend these videos!!!

22. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2006

One of my teachers showed a FAT city video last year. I think the workshops themselves should be given to everyone who wants to go into special ed, they are so valuable in showing...lots. Like how you can know you're smart, but five minutes later at the mercy of a tough teacher you feel like a piece of dirt. And how frustrating it is to be asked to do things you're just not capable of. Definitely reccomended.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2006

Well, I better start reading & studying on things in case I'm hired for the fall. Has anyone thought of any other great books, videos, etc. for special ed (RSP) &/or general ed?

24. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 26, 2006

I saw that video, too. I loved it! We saw it in our special population class, but the concepts apply to people in general.

25. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 26, 2006

We watched this in one of our college classes and I think it should be a must for ANY teacher to view before they step foot into a classroom, gen ed or spec ed. It was such an eye opener for me and I don't think I will ever forget it.