Best resources for 6th grade reading? (Specifically Reading Workshop)

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by HufflePuff, Jun 30, 2014.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jun 30, 2014

So I'm moving from 5th grade to 6th grade Language Arts next school year. I've basically been told that I can get whatever resources I want because the teacher before me wasn't following the Reading and Writing Workshop.

In 5th, I used Lucy Calkins' Units of Study. I was going to ask for the new Writing Workshop units, but there doesn't seem to be one for reading.

Anything you know of that's good for 6th grade Reading Workshop?

3. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 7, 2014

Anybody?

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2014

I know our 6th grade teachers use novel sets and do book study groups. Students can select from several titles until their groups have eventually read all the novels selected by the teacher. Other than that, I'm sorry, I don't now what they actually do in their book study groups. We follow Common Core as a district and the Reading standards are pretty narrow so it give lots of wiggle room.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2014

We don't tend to use specific programs here. I use a combination of novel sets (Literature Circles), short stories, poems, song lyrics, non-fiction articles, blog posts, newspaper articles, etc, and focus on comprehension strategies.

6. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

Welcome to 6th ! I don't have any ideas because this will be my first year teaching reading. WindyCityGal, could you elaborate on how you run the book study groups? Thanks!