Best reading strategies for deeper thinking?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Oct 28, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 28, 2014

Many of my 2nd-graders struggle with "beyond the text" type of questions. Their literal comprehension is strong, but they struggle when it comes to reading between the lines. I find that this is a difficult skill to teach, because so much of that deeper thinking depends on a child's development level and background knowledge.

Which reading strategies do you have kids focus on when they struggle with this? I use the CAFE model in my classroom, and I'm having these kids focus on making inferences. However, inferring can be difficult for kids to practice independently, without an adult questioning and prompting them. :confused:

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2014

I make a graphic organizer and have them read wordless books with a partner.
    Something like...
    I'm thinking...
    I saw ___ and now I'm thinking....

4. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Oct 28, 2014

Lots and lots of modeling and scaffolding would probably help? Take a lot of time to model inferences, then use a VERY guided practice page or something, etc...
    Inferring emotions is one easy way to practice for younger kids since they pretty much know facial expressions (or at least some, like angry, happy, confused, etc.). Wordless picture books are also really good -- there's one called "Chalk" that I especially love (the pictures are AMAZING) and used with my 2nd graders last year, though I think we used it for making predictions.
    Have them tell the story using the pictures, and explain from the picture why they think something is happening to practice using evidence from the (lack of) text.
    But I found that beyond the text was hard for my class last year too -- 2nd graders are just very concrete thinkers -- especially at the beginning of the year, and abstract connections are tough. If you work on it throughout the year though I think it will get easier for them as they get more abstract in other areas of thought as well.

Also, Fountas and Pinnell have a guided reading prompting guide app for the ipad that is REALLY helpful. I think it was $10-$20 but it's very worth it for the number of questions on everything from making connections to critiquing a text. It's called "Fountas and Pinnell Prompting Guide Part 2 for Comprehension."

5. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Oct 28, 2014

I also struggle in this area--we do so much guided 'beyond the text' reading and thinking but so hard to encourage in independent work...

6. deenamathew

deenamathew Rookie

Oct 29, 2014

Teacher read alouds demonstrate the power of stories. By showing students the ways that involvement with text engages. I use to help them out by reading along with them