Best program for teaching multiplication?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Sep 5, 2013.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2013

This is for the students coming into fourth grade. They have terrible math skills. I've never really had to teach a program for times tables, we just did timed math tests. But this time I think I have to do the mad minute kind of learning. Is there a fool proof system out there?

3. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 6, 2013

Do you mean a program to help thèm memorize their facts? Have you looked into xtramath.org? It is free and only takes a couple of minutes each day. The students can use it at home, too. I saw great results with it last year.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

My daughter did a LOT Of their worksheets last year during our hurricane break. She actually enjoyed them, and they kept her skills fresh for that week and a half.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 6, 2013

I was also going to recommend xtramath!

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 6, 2013

What about old school, sit down write the facts, say them in your head and just straight up memorize them?

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 6, 2013

If heavens54 is anything like me, her boss doesn't like "paper/pencil/worksheets," but loves computer stuff. I adore Xtramath.org!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

And if her kids are anything like my children, they get bored after endless memorization. But my daughter did 27 review sheets in those 8 school days we missed. She got a real kick out of "playing school."

9. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 6, 2013

My kids also enjoyed the Multiplication Rap cd when I taught math. We also made flashcards and played a lot of flashcard games.

10. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 6, 2013

Xtramath.org has worksheets? Where are they located on the website?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

12. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 6, 2013

Many of our students are growing up in a very different fashion than we did, thus they are use to learning/ focusing when using a computer. They don't always all necessarily learn the same way either. Xtramath.org takes a couple of minutes each day, and they love it. They can immediately see their progress each day. They can practice at home as well if they have a computer and Internet access.

My principal is not a fan of drill and kill either. Plus, I would rather my students have an understanding of the concept and strategies for solving multiplication facts as opposed to just memorizing the fact.

I memorized my facts because my father threatened to spank me if I didn't do so by a certain date. (Now I realize he would have never done it, but he knew the threat was all I needed to motivate me!) In college I learned what exactly is happening when you multiply. Suddenly, it all made sense, and I realized I really wouldn't have had to memorize them as a child if I had understood what multiplication really was all about.

13. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 6, 2013

Lol! I was thinking I must be blind as a bat to have not noticed the worksheets! The site you were referring to is a nice resource.:)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

Sorry... it's the end of the first week of classes, and I'm toast.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 6, 2013

Mine also LOVE Schoolhouse rock! Alice - I love superteacher as well - math-aids.com is also fantastic!

16. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 6, 2013

I am sorry, I misunderstood the thread. For some reason I thought it was about memorizing math facts, not learning multiplication.

Xtramath appears to be just random memorization, like flashcards, am I missing something?

If we are talking learning about multiplication I would say CGI, Twomey Fosnot strings, Van De walle activities.

I personally prefer students to memorize multiplication facts and use more sophisticated problems or strings to build understanding, but I understand this is a personal preference.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

I'm a HUGE proponent of knowing your times tables cold.. . somewhere around here I wrote a HUGE post last week about how vital that knowledge is.

But... once they're memorized, constant reinforcement is necessary. As with so many other things, it tends to be "use it or lose it" for a lot of kids. So, once they're memorized, it's a great idea to keep reinforcing that knowledge. And if you can find a site (or game or song or anything) that kids will willingly return to, you've won the battle.

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2013

I completely agree and my school is the same way. While it's great for kids to memorize the facts and they do need to eventually, when they first learn to multiply, which is what they're doing in 3rd grade when I teach multiplication I think it's more important they understand the concept. Then I can give them strategies to multiply so that as they start to memorize their facts that have an actual strategy to figure out the answer when they can't remember what 7 x 6 is. The goal is eventually they know 7 x 6 from memorization but they have to do so much more than just know their facts (tricky word problems) that I can't wait around for them to memorize their facts (and most are not going to do it at home) they have to know what to do when they don't know the fact.

19. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2013

ST Math is amazing for this, the ST stands for "spacial temporal math." Helped so many of my students learn multiplication and division. It's an online program but only available for schools to purchase. My school got it through a grant and it's amazing!

20. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 8, 2013

xtramath or scootpad

For just plain pencil and paper drills I like math-drills.com

21. bowler

bowler Rookie

Sep 9, 2013

We use a paper pencil system called rocket math. I love that it goes into division too. We supplement with fractions and decimals for our higher students when gpthey get there.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2013