Best Praxis study guides?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cali*teacher, May 15, 2014.

1. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

May 15, 2014

Can anyone tell me which are the best Praxis study guides for the Praxis for elementary teachers, and make recommendations on which to buy?

3. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 15, 2014

My department chair in college told me to get the handheld "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader" game.
    It worked like magic. This trick is a pretty common thing evidently, because a good chunk of the teachers at my school heard the same thing and it worked for them too.

4. bros

bros Phenom

May 16, 2014

My college offered PLATO Learning for practice purposes. I heard it was somewhat useful - I didn't need it though. I just got the official study guide to get an idea of what questions would be asked

5. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

May 16, 2014

I've never heard of that. I'm taking the Praxis in July and I'm definitely going to look into that along with the book I have already. I have CliffNotes Praxis II, which was recommended by my Ed Psych instructor.

I have heard, though, that ETS is changing their Praxis exams in June. They're going to be all new.

6. bros

bros Phenom

May 16, 2014

They're changing them again?

Wouldn't that make it the second time in two years?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2014

I'd expect some revision of most teacher tests, in most states and in most academic disciplines, to align with Common Core. What this is likeliest to mean is more emphasis on teaching students to communicate using the terminology and text structures appropriate to the discipline (e.g., students in science class will need to be able to write lab reports but also papers that discuss scientific issues, and they'll need to show references that are appropriate to science).